• The KillerFrogs

ESPN Hemorrhaging

Chongo94

ESPN+ started today. ESPN honestly just needs to burn down and start over at this point. This service is beyond stupid.

It offers sports like small school college sports, lacrosse, soccer, hockey, cricket, and rugby. It costs $4.99 per month. You also get one daily MLB game I think. What’s so stupid about this is they’re not even offering the main sports most people watch....so where are the subscribers gonna come from??

I love soccer and the only show on ESPN that I continued to watch with regularity was its 30min soccer news show, ESPNFC. Now, that is only available via ESPN+. No way am I paying $5 a month just for one show....and I actually like watching some of the sports this service will show.

But if I’m not willing to pay for this crap fest, why would anyone who doesn’t even like that type of content be willing to pay for it? I just cannot understand the thought process at Disney and ESPN.

H0RNEDFR0G

We should create a subscription based Big 12 Network with a business model similar to Netflix. Now that you can go direct to the consumer and cut out the cable middleman it makes no sense for them to get our advertising dollars.

How nice would it be to have coverage where commentators knew what they were talking about?

Zubaz

Or maybe even do away with advertising.
eqwem.jpg

We should create a subscription based Big 12 Network with a business model similar to Netflix. Now that you can go direct to the consumer and cut out the cable middleman it makes no sense for them to get our advertising dollars.

How nice would it be to have coverage where commentators knew what they were talking about?

Cable companies don't get paid advertising dollars (primarily), the networks get the advertising dollars. Cable companies make money on subscriber fees.

FBallFan123

Here's the info from Variety...

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/espn-fox-sports-ufc-bid-1202755660/

Variety said:
ESPN, Fox Sports Team Up for UFC TV-Rights Bid (EXCLUSIVE)

Variety has learned that the two companies have recently proposed to split the UFC TV package in a move that would bring as many as 15 fight events to new subscription streaming service ESPN+.

According to sources with knowledge of the proposal, ESPN has signaled that it would be willing to pay $120-180 million per year to add the Endeavor-owned mixed martial arts league to its collection of live-event rights.

Fox, which currently pays $120 million per year UFC rights, would be willing see that number increase to a little more than $200 million. Fox’s current package includes four Saturday-night fights per year on Fox Broadcasting and a number of fight events on cabler Fox Sports 1 that has increased annually under its current agreement. A joint bid with ESPN would see Fox’s total number of events decline slightly.

Double V

If you look at what they are apparently offering for that $5 / month, the logic behind it becomes far more clear. Compare what you get for Netflix ($7.99), Amazon ($8.99), or Hulu ($7.99). Then look at what ESPN+ is offering.

If they were offering the stuff that I actually watch on ESPN, even at double the price point, it might be worth considering. Instead, they are basically offering like Tier-4 / not-quite-good-enough-for-ESPN3 content for stuff that I just don't really care about.
This. To align with your original analogy/comparison, Wex, it's like going to a bar and paying $6 for a glass of milk.

I've watched Get Up on the plane several times since it first aired. It originally had Booger and they must have dropped his a after the first week. Greeny is just so arrogant and Beadle has somewhat of a monotone. Love Jalen. They should just put him on and let him talk because he always entertains.