• The KillerFrogs

ESPN Hemorrhaging

TCUSA

PhormerPhrog said:
Dropped DTV and went with Sony Vue through Roku.
Me, too. $79.95 a month for all the channels that count plus HBO and Showtime. Got the TCU basketball game Monday which I couldn't find on the ass-end of my slingtv

Chongo94

HToady said:

This was evidenced a couple years ago when ESPN decided the College Gameday Intro band, Big and Rich, wasn't gender or race correct enough for them.
I don't care what the reasons were, getting rid of them and that atrocious song was the best thing they've done in years...

Chongo94

Frog-in-law1995 said:
They're still there using the same song, though.
I thought they changed it? Admittedly, I've only watched one full episode in 3 years. It was this year and it was pathetically awful. Corso should've retired years ago and the rest is just a weekend SEC show so if they still have that crap group and song I probably wouldn't notice because I don't watch that pos show anymore. It's so bad.

cheese83

People are getting sick of ESPN & all their non sports related shows. That's clear with the drop in clients. It's like sports radio, once people start talking politics or issues like Kapernick I tune out. I'm listening to and reading sports to get away from all the other crap. 

punter9

come on big XII lets get with sling/netflix/vue/etc and offer the BigXII network for 5$ a month.  $3 a month if you bundle it with the longhorn network.

cost of entry is down 60$ and you're blazing the frontier to new horizons instead of mediocrity.  Netflix alone has 1.8B in cash sitting in their accounts, I am sure they would love a chance to become an avenue to sports.  

Zubaz

steelfrog said:
It's bigger than that.  Streaming is taking everything over ad people are dropping cable like a hot potato
This is what it is. Nobody "Drops ESPN", because ESPN is on the basic package of every provider. It's simpler than that: They drop cable. ESPN is affected by that, but they aren't the cause of it.

DeuceBoogieNights

Anyone going to look into the new DirecTV Now streaming? Starts at $35 per month.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/atts-new-directv-now-streaming-service-will-likely-cannibalize-cable-subscriptions-2016-11-29

My issue with going streaming only is my internet acts up occasionally. I use Netflix and Hulu and stuff and most of the time it works fine, but sometime I have buffer issues. I might need a new router though.

My inlaws cut the cord and when I watch stuff at their house, they have buffering issues when they're trying to stream and other people are using wifi on their phones, laptops, etc...

Chongo94

If cable would allow one to pick their own channels, I would never leave. But having to pay $200 for 450 channels when I only watch maybe 25-45 different ones at most and that's the only way to get most of those channels sucks some serious ass. Surely this is possible but I guess the money doesn't make it worth it.

Been seriously considering cutting the chord and just might finally do it in this new year.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Bandwidth, bandwidth, bandwidth. Existing infrastructure simply isn't robust enough to do all the streaming people would like to do.

West Coast Johnny

ESPN is a hated organization and I get that some  people are happy about its demise.  Just wait a few years for the next round of conference TV negotiations.  Big 12 games aren't going to be worth [ Finebaum ] and big schools are going to have to make money by relegating little schools to minor conferences.  ESPN losing money is very bad news for Big 12 fans.

cdsfrog

Chongo94 said:
If cable would allow one to pick their own channels, I would never leave. But having to pay $200 for 450 channels when I only watch maybe 25-45 different ones at most and that's the only way to get most of those channels sucks some serious [Rod Gilmore]. Surely this is possible but I guess the money doesn't make it worth it.

Been seriously considering cutting the chord and just might finally do it in this new year.

Yep. I did basically half. Cut all channels to basic cable and DVR and 75 mb internet. I have HULU and netflix for 2 more years. (got year long packages for dirt cheap)

Cable company screwed up a year ago and didn't cancel any channels save FX and a few other channels. Got them for free, bill is like $100