• The KillerFrogs

ESPN Hemorrhaging

Klaw said:
No, you dont have to have Playstation. 

You can use fire tv, roku, android devices and iphone/ ipad.

The fire tv and android are the best platforms because it has a full guide and graphics. Roku app is bare bones.

Cheapest package in DFW is $39 and include nbc, cbs and fox. No live abc
Can you do a screen shot of said guide?

boonecountyman

I posted this earlier on the B12 Conference board.

Disney reports earnings today.

www.thestreet.com/story/138844...AHOO&yptr=yahoo

J
ust in:Disney misses earnings projections per share and total revenue.From the report comes the following.

"
Operating income at Cable Networks decreased $207 million to $1.4 billion for the quarter due to decreases at ESPN and the Disney Channels, partially offset by an increase at Freeform.
The decrease at ESPN reflected lower advertising and affiliate revenue and higher programming and production costs. Lower advertising revenue was primarily due to fewer impressions and lower rates. The decrease in impressions was driven by the Fiscal Period Impact, lower ratings and fewer units sold. Lower affiliate revenue was due to the Fiscal Period Impact and a decline in subscribers, partially offset by contractual rate increases. The increase in programming and production costs was driven by costs for Olympics programming internationally, the World Cup of Hockey rights and higher contractual rates for college sports, partially offset by the absence of costs for the British Open and a favorable Fiscal Period Impact."

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Travis Trucks said:
Good. ESPN has basically become a sports MSNBC. Nothing but social justice and left wing politics wrapped up in sports news and coverage.
Just a question - if ESPN was nothing but right wing politics wrapped up in sports news and coverage, would that be ok with you?

Or are you simply against politics and society being discussed within the context of sports altogether?

Not trying to start a political debate. Just interested in your view point.

Travis Trucks

Peacefrog said:
Just a question - if ESPN was nothing but right wing politics wrapped up in sports news and coverage, would that be ok with you?

Or are you simply against politics and society being discussed within the context of sports altogether?

The latter. Sports is sports. Stop mixing in politics with it. 

They dropped Grantland because it was "too niche" and replaced it with The Undefeated, which is pretty much a website dedicated to reverse racism and shaming white people from a sports angle. 

Honestly I think ESPN has gone all in on politics and social justice because the directive is coming from the top(Disney).

Pharm Frog

Peacefrog said:

Pertinent to your question there's this little gem directly from an ESPN ombudsman

The 2016 presidential election season has been one most of us will never forget. The tone has been ugly, the controversies endless, the coverage unrelenting. Our social media feeds are full of politically charged statements, and what dialogue does exist between differing sides more often resembles a WWE match than nuanced debate.
Thankfully, I get to write about ESPN, where the focus on sports means I never have to deal with politics.
Ah, if only that were true.
As it turns out, ESPN is far from immune from the political fever that has afflicted so much of the country over the past year. Internally, there’s a feeling among many staffers -- both liberal and conservative -- that the company’s perceived move leftward has had a stifling effect on discourse inside the company and has affected its public-facing products. Consumers have sensed that same leftward movement, alienating some.

http://www.espn.com/blog/ombudsman/post/_/id/767/inside-and-out-espn-dealing-with-changing-political-dynamics

BABYFACE

Pharm Frog said:

Pertinent to your question there's this little gem directly from an ESPN ombudsman

The 2016 presidential election season has been one most of us will never forget. The tone has been ugly, the controversies endless, the coverage unrelenting. Our social media feeds are full of politically charged statements, and what dialogue does exist between differing sides more often resembles a WWE match than nuanced debate.

Thankfully, I get to write about ESPN, where the focus on sports means I never have to deal with politics.

As it turns out, ESPN is far from immune from the political fever that has afflicted so much of the country over the past year. Internally, theres a feeling among many staffers -- both liberal and conservative -- that the companys perceived move leftward has had a stifling effect on discourse inside the company and has affected its public-facing products. Consumers have sensed that same leftward movement, alienating some.

http://www.espn.com/blog/ombudsman/post/_/id/767/inside-and-out-espn-dealing-with-changing-political-dynamics
Wow, ESPN prez John Skipper is going to lead them down the toilet.

FBallFan123

BABYFACE said:
Wow, ESPN prez John Skipper is going to lead them down the toilet.

He already has...the only direction for them to go is further down, because they aren't going up anytime soon.

I'm just waiting for when FS1 starts to get meaningful Big Ten games, because I want to see how much farther ESPN's ratings fall then. 

But I say let him take the network where's he's been leading it for years, and the sooner the better....the network needs to bottom out at this point.

It's disappointing that FS1 is making some of the same mistakes as ESPN, but perhaps the one good thing with Jamie Horowitz taking Fox Sports 1 down the same road (with Bayless and Cowherd and Whitlock) is that it's basically saturating the hot take market.

The ratings for Undisputed (FS1) isn't drawing much of an audience itself but it is drawing some of the audience away from First Take (ESPN).

Anything that lessens SAS's platform on that network I'll take as a win.

But ESPN's problems are just so far beyond one screaming loudmouth at this point.  

The disease has spread throughout the entire network. 

Even Sportcenter, which used to be a staple for sports fans, is unwatchable...and not because fans can get news and scores directly to their phones.....but because the people they have on the air are terrible.

ESPN isn't about sports anymore....it's about tv personalities....and when some get too big for the network (Simmons, Olberman, Cowherd), they just create more...and each new one seems worse than the last one.

FBallFan123

So ESPN responds to First Take's sagging numbers by doing this .... doubling down:

"First Take" Moving To ESPN In Effort To Boost Viewership

ESPN will move “First Take” from ESPN2 to ESPN, a move that ESPN execs believe will increase viewership for the nearly 10-year-old franchise. The move to ESPN’s 10:00am-12:00pm ET timeslot starts Jan. 3. Two hours of “SportsCenter” will replace “First Take” on ESPN2 -- the Hannah Storm interview show “SportsCenter Face to Face” and the David Lloyd-Cari Champion-hosted “SportsCenter Coast to Coast.” “First Take” has struggled with viewers since Skip Bayless left the show in the summer and was replaced by Max Kellerman. Since Labor Day, when Bayless launched the competing show “Undisputed” on FS1, “First Take” viewership is down 33% compared to the previous year, according to the website SportsTVRatings.com.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Morning-Buzz/2016/11/11/First-Take.aspx

Deep Purple

Pharm Frog said:

As it turns out, ESPN is far from immune from the political fever that has afflicted so much of the country over the past year. Internally, there’s a feeling among many staffers -- both liberal and conservative -- that the company’s perceived move leftward has had a stifling effect on discourse inside the company and has affected its public-facing products. Consumers have sensed that same leftward movement, alienating some.

The following column from CBS should be required reading for everybody in the news media...

Commentary: The Unbearable Smugness of the Press

orrwasright

I am sure there was a pretty heavy competition for the bidding for the broadcast of the World Cup of Hockey rights in the US.  A death match between ESPN and OLN.

Pharm Frog

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/espn-abc-earnings-disney-1201923941/

ESPN, ABC Continue to Be a Drag on Disney Earnings Growth
Disney’s trials in TV reflect broader industry upheaval; at ESPN, cord-cutting and cord-shaving eating into the affiliate revenue base. Cable affiliate revenue has been the bedrock of earnings for media conglomerates, and Disney is no exception. By some estimates, ESPN accounts for as much as 30% of Disney’s operating income, and the sports powerhouse has shed 10 million subscribers in the past five years.

kidkarr

Travis Trucks said:

The latter. Sports is sports. Stop mixing in politics with it. 

They dropped Grantland because it was "too niche" and replaced it with The Undefeated, which is pretty much a website dedicated to reverse racism and shaming white people from a sports angle. 

Honestly I think ESPN has gone all in on politics and social justice because the directive is coming from the top(Disney).
This is what has soiled me on ESPiN

Way too political and the SEC love fest gets old. In trying to protect their investments, they have ruined their whole brand. IMO.

HToady

Travis Trucks said:
Good. ESPN has basically become a sports MSNBC. Nothing but social justice and left wing politics wrapped up in sports news and coverage.

This was evidenced a couple years ago when ESPN decided the College Gameday Intro band, Big and Rich, wasn't gender or race correct enough for them.

BABYFACE

HToady said:

This was evidenced a couple years ago when ESPN decided the College Gameday Intro band, Big and Rich, wasn't gender or race correct enough for them.
That kind of thinking makes morons look like geniuses. ESPN give whole new definition to stupid.

At the rate we are going in the wussification of our society, I don't know how anyone will be able to make thru a day without a nervous breakdown.

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
BABYFACE said:
At the rate we are going in the wussification of our society, I don't know how anyone will be able to make thru a day without a nervous breakdown.

I have a suggestion for your sanity that has worked for me.  Inform people that you absolutely give zero scheisss.

Bob

ESPN should move to the Playboy channel and embrace the theme. Maybe replace Mark May's spraypainted hair with one of Despiertas America's senioritas with great ta-tas.