• The KillerFrogs

ESPN article about SWC's demise

Bizarro Frog

Green Chile is life. I've lived in Albuquerque for 13 years now, I can't imagine going without it.
Wife’s family is from there and got married in Santa Fe. I have spent a bunch of time there and there is some fantastic food. There is a great bar and restaurant on top of Hotel Chaco in Albuquerque where you can see the Moon come up and pass over the Sandia Mountains. We were there for a full moon and it was incredible.

Frozen Frog

It was a great article on the end of the SWC. I loved the conference, and I miss it to this day. Part of me wonders if there was a TV deal that could make a conference like the SWC work in the future.

With 2 P5 and several G5 conferences recruiting Texas it has to a certain level killed the advantage the Texas schools had in this area.

As for expansion I think TCU looks pretty good to both the ACC and the Pac. I could also see a new conference if 2 schools leave emerging from the remnants of the Big 12. If 6 schools leave that is a different story. I actually think it is likelier that the Big 12 expands. I don't think Nebraska is at all happy in the Big Ten. I could see them returning to the Big 12. If that happens It would not surprise me to see Mizzou try to join the Big Ten like they have been doing forever. Notre Dame is the obvious Big Ten candidate, and if they miss the playoff this year the writing for them might be on wall regarding a football conference affiliation.

I think what would make Nebraska really want to join the Big 12 again is if they could get the OU game as annual contest. That likely means that the second school comes from a location closer to WV or Texas to try to build a fence around the state.

I also wonder how happy Arky and Aggie are as members of the SEC. Aggie is having a good year, but they are still at best a middle tier team. Arky has never been the same since leaving the SWC.

HG73

Round robin schedule is a meat grinder. Zero sum game. Add Colorado even if we can't get anyone else. 11 teams, 8 conference games and a CC game. SEC only plays 8 conference games and their top tier teams have better records. That's what we need to do. Colorado, Colorado and Utah, or the Arizona teams. 12 is better than 11, 11 is better than 10.

Froglaw

Why look West?

Memphis is solid and so is Cincinnati.

Facilities upgrades are needed, but it raises competition in basketball and football.

Gives WVU two teams as close or closer than ISU.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Grant Teaff, Baylor coach, 1972-92: "There were some of us that weren't cheating and were not going to cheat. And so it's hard to go out on a football field and know that you can have that player and he could be scoring touchdowns for you, except that black bag arrived at the little airport."

And there are some who weren't lying and were not going to lie? Ironie.

Eight

Noooooooooooooo!

Edit: To be clear Houston brings nothing but another Big 12 team TCU has to compete with in recruiting battles.

think that might have been westsider's point and why east?

adding schools east puts the big 12 in direct competition against the acc, big 10, and sec in their established markets and the recruiting competition is brutal

west, say the two az schools gives the big 12 access to large population markets and so cal which has been open season in recruiting for years

Eight

Grant Teaff, Baylor coach, 1972-92: "There were some of us that weren't cheating and were not going to cheat. And so it's hard to go out on a football field and know that you can have that player and he could be scoring touchdowns for you, except that black bag arrived at the little airport."

And there are some who weren't lying and were not going to lie? Ironie.

grant didn't cheat?

yeah

bronco

Why look West?

Memphis is solid and so is Cincinnati.

Facilities upgrades are needed, but it raises competition in basketball and football.

Gives WVU two teams as close or closer than ISU.

With the unrest in the Pac The Big 12 needs to negotiate from strength. We need flagship schools like CU ASU AU and even Utah. unless we can poach from the other Power 5 conferences the Big 12's future is west.

Wexahu

Expansion is in the best interest of TCU because it offers protection. Your right that it offers nothing from an athletics perspective but if your worried about protecting your revenue stream, there is strength in numbers.

This all comes down to how you feel about 2 questions?

1. If CFB goes through a re-org, do you think the “P5” increases in size or decreases?
2. If decreases, is TCU still a P5 school?

If you have to choose sharing existing revenue power with 4 more schools vs losing 40-60% of all your income because your going to be “relegated”....well expansion is a no brainer.

In an ideal world there would be no expansion at any P5 conference AND our place at the table would never be in question.

Here is my new idea, which makes a whole lot of sense IMO, but will never happen of course unless they decide to do away with the traditional conferences (I said it would never happen).

1) Create six new 11-school conferences made up the the current P5 programs plus one lucky school. Determine conferences strictly by location. G5s stay like they are.
2) Expand the regular season to 13 games and eliminate the CCGs. Every team plays a 10-team RR within their league, 5 home games, 5 road games, plus 3 OOC games.
3) 14-week season starts when it does now, 1 bye week for everyone.
4) 12-team playoff. League winners plus four at large from the 6 major divisions, plus two at large from the G5's.
5) Seeds #1-4 get bye for 1st round of playoffs.
6) Bowls for teams outside the top 12, starting when they do now.

If schools can decide this is worth ditching a whole bunch of tradition over, something like this could really work for everyone. Combination between NFL-like structure and the current college format.