• The KillerFrogs

Escape the Big 12!!

Brog

UT and OU have found the answer to their dilemma. Get out of the Big 12! OU just lost the third out of the last four games against KSU, and UT got shot down by TT, and is facing more of the same from OSU and TCU and Baylor. Now they'll only have to face Alabama and LSU and Auburn and others. Good thinking, OU and UT!

Limp Lizard

Sad thing for Texas and OU is that they won't be able to recruit any better. They already get great recruits. Haven't seen a big change due to NIL, either. aggy has recruited, but not won better than it's B12 days.

I am starting to think UT does not really care that much about winning. As long as they can keep the money coming in. In their mind a loss to an SEC team is much better than a lose to Tech or Kansas. You see, UT can continue to lose games in the SEC and the other team’s fan bases will sell out the stadium and keep TV contracts high. Remember UT is a soulless, coin operated system. Texas is always about the money. The SEC Fits UT better because the longhorn culture is more about “status” than competition. $$$ beat Wins on the 40 acres.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
It’s the money. that’s it. There’s no other strategy about playoffs or wins. It’s the money.

And trying to criticize them for doing it bc they won’t win as much is a pointless exercise because it’s about the money.
I seem to remember CDC being genuinely pissed at We The Fans for taking the tOSU game in Amon Carter and moving it to JerryWorld for a $5 million payout, and getting a lot of abuse for it. "I had $5 million reasons to do it!" he squawked...

ShadowFrog

Moderators
I seem to remember CDC being genuinely pissed at We The Fans for taking the tOSU game in Amon Carter and moving it to JerryWorld for a $5 million payout, and getting a lot of abuse for it. "I had $5 million reasons to do it!" he squawked...
So now he’s in the right place.
BTW is he still sportin’ that Grizzly Adams beard & stache??

BrewingFrog

So now he’s in the right place.
BTW is he still sportin’ that Grizzly Adams beard & stache??
Ugh! I hope not!

Considering his visage, he would do very much better with the Evil Spock goatee...
enhanced-buzz-17507-1353000800-6.jpg

82 Frog Fever

I am starting to think UT does not really care that much about winning. As long as they can keep the money coming in. In their mind a loss to an SEC team is much better than a lose to Tech or Kansas. You see, UT can continue to lose games in the SEC and the other team’s fan bases will sell out the stadium and keep TV contracts high. Remember UT is a soulless, coin operated system. Texas is always about the money. The SEC Fits UT better because the longhorn culture is more about “status” than competition. $$$ beat Wins on the 40 acres.
The fans, coaches, & players care very much about winning,
but the administrators have earned the name Whorns!

Great point. We all loved the idea of hosting tOSU in our new stadium. How cool would that have been. But CDC and his gold rim glasses could not resist. To hell with spirit of CFB and the fun of a college campus atmosphere. It’s just milk it for all you can sell, sell, sell.

East Coast

Tier 1
Great point. We all loved the idea of hosting tOSU in our new stadium. How cool would that have been. But CDC and his gold rim glasses could not resist. To hell with spirit of CFB and the fun of a college campus atmosphere. It’s just milk it for all you can sell, sell, sell.
You can’t blame that solely on CDC. Vic and the trustees were on board with taking the money. End of the day, CDC is a great salesman and does a terrific job focusing on what his bosses want him to.

You can’t blame that solely on CDC. Vic and the trustees were on board with taking the money. End of the day, CDC is a great salesman and does a terrific job focusing on what his bosses want him to.
This is true. VBo and the Trustees were 100% on board. CGP even bought into it (he was not looking forward to Columbus).

The comment by @BrewingFrog is also correct. CDC said it proudly, and often. When you dive a little deeper, losing the OPEX of playing a game at home while playing at a seemingly superior facility AND getting paid $5mm for it = no brainier. To the fans, yes, we see things differently.

FrogAbroad

I am somewhat, but pleasantly, surprised that folks are beginning to catch on to the fact that college football is the lead dog in the College Sports Entertainment Business revolution. It's been moving that direction for quite some time but now it is increasingly obvious to more and more football fans. It is an inevitable, unstoppable movement (cf. college tuition, fees, housing, etc) and barring a very unlikely cultural and economic upheaval it is here to stay.

In future be prepared to see a shakeout in the industry, something similar to what happened in the US automobile industry years ago, when the number of badges began to shrink...then shrink some more...then become a handful of what once was a plethora. Big-time programs want and will form big-time conferences with big-time media contracts and, inevitably, big-time funding to help pay for those big-time venues and big-time athletes. Currently there are like 131 FBS programs. Let's consider just the upper 50% of those. Out of 65 programs maybe 10% are not already or soon-to-be members of "blue blood" conferences. How long do you think it will take for that group of 131 to become a group of 65? or 50? or maybe even 40? NCAA? no longer necessary because ESPN will organize and make the deals and will make some of the large, marketable athletic programs a real potful of money.

Now, am I saying the future is dark, filled with doom and despair? Not necessarily, except possibly for the programs that can't make the cut to true "big time college sports entertainment." They will still exist, mostly, albeit with reduced budgets and reduced crowds and reduced media coverage. Meanwhile there will continue to be a proliferation of college sports entertainment events for the fans to enjoy even in the face of rising ticket prices. Oh, to be sure, there will be some more subscription-only sports channels, and some bigger-better-beautiful venues ready to receive our leisure time and tribute, so all is not lost.

Heckfire, those palaces might even have short queues and cold beverages.

BrewingFrog

This is true. VBo and the Trustees were 100% on board. CGP even bought into it (he was not looking forward to Columbus).

The comment by @BrewingFrog is also correct. CDC said it proudly, and often. When you dive a little deeper, losing the OPEX of playing a game at home while playing at a seemingly superior facility AND getting paid $5mm for it = no brainier. To the fans, yes, we see things differently.
I have wondered about that being one of those "straw that broke the camel's back" moments with CDC. While the offer to run UT was a no-brainer, the emotional aspect of leaving Fort Worth was another matter entirely. The reaction to that, and subsequent collapse of the Frogs that season probably made the UT decision a lot easier...

Virginia Frog

UT and OU have found the answer to their dilemma. Get out of the Big 12! OU just lost the third out of the last four games against KSU, and UT got shot down by TT, and is facing more of the same from OSU and TCU and Baylor. Now they'll only have to face Alabama and LSU and Auburn and others. Good thinking, OU and UT!
Right on, Mister.

Add other possible UT '22 Ls: IowaSt, WVHillbillies, K-State and here's to the Jaybirds who get theBurnt Orange in Lawrence (Will we see a 2 game vs. UT win streak?)

Last edited:

froginaustin

I think if we were offered the chance to go to a higher paying conference, we would do the same thing. It IS about the money for everybody.

Particularly considering the geographically compact conferences of old are no longer an option. Even the group that now calls itself the WAC is spread all over North America. Playing primarily old rivals during a regular season is not in the cards for anyone, including schools in the B1G and SEC.