• The KillerFrogs

Easy fix to the CFP committee

Your guess is correct. By virtue of their win, Baylor was the better team on that given day but conference rules dictated that TCU & Baylor were co-champs. If the championship game had existed at that time, Baylor would have gone on to play TCU again. Result? ... problem solved.

The fact it was a road game means that at TCU or neutral site TCU would have beat Baylor. Home Versus Road matters a lot. Then you had to look at best loss and TCU’s was to the Fifth best school in the land versus OSU’s versus crappy Virginia Tech and Baylor’s to WVU and TCU got screwed by CFP despite Wex’s best efforts to tell everyone what a perfect job they do and always get it right.

Wexahu

The fact it was a road game means that at TCU or neutral site TCU would have beat Baylor. Home Versus Road matters a lot. Then you had to look at best loss and TCU’s was to the Fifth best school in the land versus OSU’s versus crappy Virginia Tech and Baylor’s to WVU and TCU got screwed by CFP despite Wex’s best efforts to tell everyone what a perfect job they do and always get it right.

You are right, home vs road does matter a lot and the fact that they always use the HTH as a tiebreaker is not fair to the team that loses the tiebreaker, because the other team's loss effectively doesn't count. And it should. That's exactly my point.

Teams that "don't even make their conference championship game"......a lot of people want them automatically eliminated from consideration based on circumstances similar to what TCU faced in 2014. Had the Big 12 been in split divisions back then (with TCU and Baylor presumably in the same division), TCU would have been eliminated by virtue of that game and Baylor would have been the rep in the CCG, even though it was pretty evident in my opinion that TCU had the better resume and was the better overall team.

HeidelFrog

The committee apparently has TCU on ignore and always have. There’s only one way we can get in - we have to go undefeated and win the conference - period!
In the past I would disagree with you, but I can’t anymore. The CFP clowns have proven that they will put in teams they ‘personally’ like not who actually earned it. They will look for any reasons they can come up with to justify their favorites and ignore or minimize anything that doesn’t support it. I’m not sure how anyone can have any confidence in this system.

You are right, home vs road does matter a lot and the fact that they always use the HTH as a tiebreaker is not fair to the team that loses the tiebreaker, because the other team's loss effectively doesn't count. And it should. That's exactly my point.

Teams that "don't even make their conference championship game"......a lot of people want them automatically eliminated from consideration based on circumstances similar to what TCU faced in 2014. Had the Big 12 been in split divisions back then (with TCU and Baylor presumably in the same division), TCU would have been eliminated by virtue of that game and Baylor would have been the rep in the CCG, even though it was pretty evident in my opinion that TCU had the better resume and was the better overall team.

So u finally agree we got screwed by the CFP?

Wexahu

So u finally agree we got screwed by the CFP?

No, I'm not. What it sounds like is you are conceding that we didn't. You either think conference championships and HTH tiebreakers should take precedence over everything else or you don't. Sounds to me like your opinion of how important those things are is entirely determined by the teams involved.

Wexahu

In the past I would disagree with you, but I can’t anymore. The CFP clowns have proven that they will put in teams they ‘personally’ like not who actually earned it. They will look for any reasons they can come up with to justify their favorites and ignore or minimize anything that doesn’t support it. I’m not sure how anyone can have any confidence in this system.

Actually, the results of this year should give people a lot more confidence in the system, at least in terms of the system that is currently in place that the committee has no say in. They stayed consistent when a lot of people thought they wouldn't. I can't time you how many times I heard that the committee would NEVER leave the Big 10 out of the playoff. I thought that was a load of BS all along. And it was.

HeidelFrog

Actually, the results of this year should give people a lot more confidence in the system, at least in terms of the system that is currently in place that the committee has no say in. They stayed consistent when a lot of people thought they wouldn't. I can't time you how many times I heard that the committee would NEVER leave the Big 10 out of the playoff. I thought that was a load of BS all along. And it was.
They are consistently awful, contradicting, making up stuff as they go and just consistently not consistent. I have a lot more confidence that the system is a complete fraud.

HeidelFrog

I agree with Wexahu on ONE thing, the CFP clowns are doing the best they can under the ‘current’ system.

This is exactly why we need a new system and we needed it yesterday. No matter who is in that private room determining the best 4, it is completely subjective, opinion based, unfair and bias. That’s not a legitimate playoff format and it’s offensive to even call it a playoff. Let’s stop it now and bring back legitimacy to College Football.

ifrog

Nobody thought they would allow two SEC teams in either. Now way in hell they would allow two teams in from the B12. The results are inconsistent from year to year. The End.

Wexahu

Nobody thought they would allow two SEC teams in either. Now way in hell they would allow two teams in from the B12. The results are inconsistent from year to year. The End.

Because the Big 12 decided to add the CCG, you're probably right, unless an undefeated Big 12 team that had a really good OOC win lost to a 1-loss team in the CCG. The odds of that aren't good at all though.

The results may seem inconsistent because every year is so different, but they've been about as consistent as possible.

- 1-loss teams get in ahead of 2-loss teams, and
- 1-loss conference champions who've won a CCG get in ahead of 1-loss teams that don't play in a CCG.

I may be wrong, but other than how they rank the teams within the Top 4, I don't think they've strayed from that very basic formula in any year. I don't understand why nobody recognizes that consistency.

I hate this dead horse but every year so far in the CFP era their is debate over #s 4 through ~6/7. All teams in that window have a "case". If it were 8 you can almost be assured you are skimming off all the cream vice most of it. Not rocket surgery. We can discuss best way to choose the 8.

HeidelFrog

Because the Big 12 decided to add the CCG, you're probably right, unless an undefeated Big 12 team that had a really good OOC win lost to a 1-loss team in the CCG. The odds of that aren't good at all though.

The results may seem inconsistent because every year is so different, but they've been about as consistent as possible.

- 1-loss teams get in ahead of 2-loss teams, and
- 1-loss conference champions who've won a CCG get in ahead of 1-loss teams that don't play in a CCG.

I may be wrong, but other than how they rank the teams within the Top 4, I don't think they've strayed from that very basic formula in any year. I don't understand why nobody recognizes that consistency.
So, schools should want to play in the weakest P5 conference and schedule the worst possible out of conference schedule. You don’t have to beat good teams, you just need to limit your losses. Chances are slim that many teams go undefeated so USC and Ohio State we’re dumb for playing Oklahoma and Notre Dame. Had they not and played a barely bowl eligible FSU team, Ohio State and USC would get in over Alabama.

They are suppose to put in the best 4. I don’t think Alabama whose best win is #17 LSU is a top 4 team. Alabama got beat pretty decent by #7 Auburn. Auburn also has 3 losses and got smoked by Georgia.

Ohio State beat 3 teams ranked higher then Alabama’s best win and won a conference championship. They have 2 wins over top 10 teams. You could make a decent argument for USC over Alabama too.

I’m not on a crusade to say Ohio State or USC got screwed. It’s over. We just need a better system before more teams get screwed over. We need a system that has some legitimacy.

Wexahu

So, schools should want to play in the weakest P5 conference and schedule the worst possible out of conference schedule. You don’t have to beat good teams, you just need to limit your losses. Chances are slim that many teams go undefeated so USC and Ohio State we’re dumb for playing Oklahoma and Notre Dame. Had they not and played a barely bowl eligible FSU team, Ohio State and USC would get in over Alabama.

They are suppose to put in the best 4. I don’t think Alabama whose best win is #17 LSU is a top 4 team. Alabama got beat pretty decent by #7 Auburn. Auburn also has 3 losses and got smoked by Georgia.

Ohio State beat 3 teams ranked higher then Alabama’s best win and won a conference championship. They have 2 wins over top 10 teams. You could make a decent argument for USC over Alabama too.

I’m not on a crusade to say Ohio State or USC got screwed. It’s over. We just need a better system before more teams get screwed over. We need a system that has some legitimacy.

No, they shouldn't, but up to now its hard to argue against that point. Until they deem a close loss to a really good team as better than a close win over a bad team, that will probably be the case. I don't care for it either but that's the ways voters and polls have generally worked since forever ago.

I will say that a lot of people were complaining about Ohio State getting in over Penn State last year even though OSU had that really good win against OU and Penn State lost to Pitt and Michigan.....just because Penn State beat OSU by 3 in Happy Valley and was the Big 10 "champion".

This year Ohio State also got smoked by 30+ points to an unranked team and also lost handily to another team. I could just as easily say a team that loses to Iowa by 30 points is not a Top 4 team and that would be hard to argue. I bet the committee in their mind figured there's no way Alabama could lose by 30 points to Iowa. Who knows, there's no way to find out. But Alabama is favored to win it all and even most people who thought they shouldn't get in conceded that they're probably one of the best 4 teams. If you don't think so, fine, but you're in the minority there, as the point spreads and odds to win the championship can attest. Vegas has no bias.

HeidelFrog

No, they shouldn't, but up to now its hard to argue that point. Until they deem a close loss to a really good team as better than a close win over a bad team, that will probably be the case. I don't care for it either but that's the ways voters and polls have generally worked since forever ago.

I will say that a lot of people were complaining about Ohio State getting in over Penn State last year even though OSU had that really good win against OU and Penn State lost to Pitt and Michigan.....just because Penn State beat OSU by 3 in Happy Valley and was the Big 10 "champion".

This year Ohio State also got smoked by 30+ points to an unranked team and also lost handily to another team. I could just as easily say a team that loses to Iowa by 30 points is not a Top 4 team and that would be hard to argue. I bet the committee in their mind figured there's no way Alabama could lose by 30 points to Iowa. Who knows, there's no way to find out. But Alabama is favored to win it all and even most people who thought they shouldn't get in conceded that they're probably one of the best 4 teams. If you don't think so, fine, but you're in the minority there, as the point spreads and odds to win the championship can attest. Vegas has no bias.
I’m not sure why you think its so clear that Alabama deserved to get in over Ohio State. 4 Big 12 coach’s voted in the final poll including our own beloved GP and all 4 put Ohio State over Alabama.

If you are saying that the CFP is so consistent with 1 a loss team over a 2 loss team and a 1 loss conference champ over a 1 loss not conference champ then Ohio State would of been in had that not played Oklahoma and USC would of been in had they not played ND.

Wexahu

I’m not sure why you think its so clear that Alabama deserved to get in over Ohio State. 4 Big 12 coach’s voted in the final poll including our own beloved GP and all 4 put Ohio State over Alabama.

If you are saying that the CFP is so consistent with 1 a loss team over a 2 loss team and a 1 loss conference champ over a 1 loss not conference champ then Ohio State would of been in had that not played Oklahoma and USC would of been in had they not played ND.

Do you realize how ridiculous this process would be if they started making assumptions on how teams would be ranked if games hadn't been played? All they can do is go by the results of games that were actually played, because that's what actually happened.

If TCU had played Alabama in Week 3 of 2014 instead of Minnesota we probably would have been ranked #6 going into that last weekend instead of #3. Had Notre Dame played Florida and UCLA instead of USC and Miami they'd very likely only have one loss to Georgia by a point. How should those things be factored into consideration? I mean, trying to extrapolate all that would be totally nuts.

Last edited:
Do you realize how ridiculous this process would be if they started making assumptions on how teams would be ranked if games hadn't been played? All they can do is go by the results of games that were actually played, because that's what actually happened.

If TCU had played Alabama in Week 3 of 2014 instead of Minnesota we probably would have been ranked #6 going into that last weekend instead of #3. Had Notre Dame played Florida and UCLA instead of Notre Dame and Miami they'd very likely only have one loss to Georgia by a point. How should those things be factored into consideration? I mean, trying to extrapolate all that would be totally nuts.

The system is corrupt, nuts, honestly an abortion, actually worse than an abortion. You just keep defending it though. I am sure they appreciate your support.

Christcu

The system is corrupt, nuts, honestly an abortion, actually worse than an abortion. You just keep defending it though. I am sure they appreciate your support.
It is corrupt. Blow it up, P5 Conference Champs plus 3 at large. We the fans should not let them have control over anymore than 3 selections to give them their "I've got power" fixation.

HeidelFrog

If TCU had played Alabama in Week 3 of 2014 instead of Minnesota we probably would have been ranked #6 going into that last weekend instead of #3. Had Notre Dame played Florida and UCLA instead of Notre Dame and Miami they'd very likely only have one loss to Georgia by a point. How should those things be factored into consideration? I mean, trying to extrapolate all that would be totally nuts.
I agree. That would be nuts. Just trying to prove a point. Bottom line is the CFP clowns will and do move the goal posts to wherever they need to be, in order to fit who they think should be in, based on their own personal bias. This particular committee was bias towards Alabama, they were obviously looking for any reason to put them in. I’m sure they are good people and don’t even realize it. We just need a more legitimate system. #NotMyPlayoffs

HG73

I see your 8 team playoff would be better than we have now, but with 8 teams you still have the committee deciding 6, 7 and 8. Still a good chance three second place teams (Alabama) get in and one of them wins it. Still too much committee control.

Just take the 5 P5 champs and have 4 play 5 in a wildcard game, winner goes to the final 4. One extra big $$ game and the committee's only job is to seed the 5 teams.

Make a conference championship mean something, winners go to the playoffs. Have the same deal for the G5 teams.