• The KillerFrogs

East side addition

texas_sicilian

Aren’t they upgrading the sound system to true surround sound (vs. blaring everything from that one clump of distorted speakers)?

Can’t find it anywhere online, but could have swore I read that somewhere...

Probably the most exciting thing I was looking forward to this next season...

Last edited:

Eight

Aren’t they upgrading the sound system to for true surround sound (vs. blaring everything from that one clump of distorted speakers)?

Can’t find it anywhere online, but could have swore I read that somewhere...

Probably the most exciting thing I was looking forward to this next season...

word is they are replacing the rif ram cheer with this to open the games

sandstorm is going to sound epic next year

TCUdirtbag

I understand the addition is not supposed to eliminate any of the current seats on the east side. Is that still true? Also, how far out towards the field will the addition extend? It seems that many of the existing top rows will now be covered.
Yes. And don’t know.

netty2424

Except to those who sit in the North End Zone in the lower bowl and can't see the big screen and those in the 200 seats who don't want to have to turn around after every play....
At least you can see the big NEZ board if needed.

I sit in the northwest corner lower bowl, I have 20/20 vision(put that in my bragging montage), and can’t make out half of what they show on that south EZ video board. I also can’t see the big video board in the north end zone due to the second level hanging over, which blocks the view of the big board.

There should be two boards of equal size, one on each end zone. Makes no sense that we’re investing in the NEZ board, but not the SEZ board.

YA

I sit in the northwest corner lower bowl, I have 20/20 vision(put that in my bragging montage), and can’t make out half of what they show on that south EZ video board. I also can’t see the big video board in the north end zone due to the second level hanging over, which blocks the view of the big board.

There should be two boards of equal size, one on each end zone. Makes no sense that we’re investing in the NEZ board, but not the SEZ board.
The issue is the roof would need serious reinforcement on the building to allow them to have one.

netty2424

The issue is the roof would need serious reinforcement on the building to allow them to have one.
Makes sense and I figured that would be the reason.

That said, there are smart engineers who can figure that out and TCU has shown they aren’t afraid to spend donor money. At the very least, upgrade the SEZ board where it sits. There’s plenty of room there to make that happen.

I’m not complaining just to complain, from where I sit, there isn’t an option to watch replays or whatever else they want to show us.

Peacefrog

Degenerate

How many college stadiums have two boards of similar size in each end zone? Seems unlikely to happen since the majority of seats can see one or both. You could relocate your seats.

netty2424

How many college stadiums have two boards of similar size in each end zone? Seems unlikely to happen since the majority of seats can see one or both. You could relocate your seats.
Fair point.

I like my seats. I like the other season ticket holders around my seats. I have close friends around us as well. We all tailgate and walk in together. I don’t have any opposing fans in my section, really ever, which is extremely rare in our stadium. I’m not really interested in moving my seats.

If I’m being honest, it seems silly we’re replacing a large video screen, that as you say majority can see, with another large video screen, that the same majority will see, when the tiny outdated screen sits in the SEZ and is prime for improvement, at a significantly less cost I’d imagine.

And I guess since other schools don’t have something, we shouldn’t either?

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Fair point.

I like my seats. I like the other season ticket holders around my seats. I have close friends around us as well. We all tailgate and walk in together. I don’t have any opposing fans in my section, really ever, which is extremely rare in our stadium. I’m not really interested in moving my seats.

If I’m being honest, it seems silly we’re replacing a large video screen, that as you say majority can see, with another large video screen, that the same majority will see, when the tiny outdated screen sits in the SEZ and is prime for improvement, at a significantly less cost I’d imagine.

And I guess since other schools don’t have something, we shouldn’t either?
Just playing devil’s advocate.

SnoSki

Super excited that my seats are now in the shade. No more applying sunscreen 2-3x a game. Even better, no more family griping about the heat.

Wish there was an escalator behind the Section to get down from the top of the 200s but no biggie. Shade!!!

TCURiggs

Super excited that my seats are now in the shade. No more applying sunscreen 2-3x a game. Even better, no more family griping about the heat.

Wish there was an escalator behind the Section to get down from the top of the 200s but no biggie. Shade!!!

giphy.gif

HFrog12

I actually moved my seats for this exact reason. Judging by the new 3D seat view it seems that the top 7-8 rows of the East side will be covered in some capacity. One worry - the overhang is going to be amazing for shade, but it seems it might be dramatic enough to cut off the top rows view of the video board. Surely that wont be the case.

Back to my original comment on this thread, I wonder how much more expensive it would have been to build a shallow concourse at the top of the east side and include an escalator or elevator. I am no engineer or builder but it seems that would be been a great option since you are already going vertical behind the those seats.

Lastly, someone please please confirm comments made about new surround sound being implemented, instead of everything blaring out of the current video board.

Purp

I actually moved my seats for this exact reason. Judging by the new 3D seat view it seems that the top 7-8 rows of the East side will be covered in some capacity. One worry - the overhang is going to be amazing for shade, but it seems it might be dramatic enough to cut off the top rows view of the video board. Surely that wont be the case.

Back to my original comment on this thread, I wonder how much more expensive it would have been to build a shallow concourse at the top of the east side and include an escalator or elevator. I am no engineer or builder but it seems that would be been a great option since you are already going vertical behind the those seats.

Lastly, someone please please confirm comments made about new surround sound being implemented, instead of everything blaring out of the current video board.
I've heard a lot of folks enthusiastic about the shade provided from the new club sections, but I'm skeptical about how much shade will be provided. The only games that will likely get any shade at all are 11am games since the sun will start out behind you. After about 2pm I think the sun will be at enough of an angle from the opposite side of the field that all shade will be gone. To make matters worse, what was formerly a great place for the hottest games b/c you got the best breeze in the stadium will now have any and all wind blocked by the club sections. This overhang could make the last several rows on the east side a raging inferno.

The only way to provide shade for the east side is to build the west side taller, but we don't need to do that.

HFrog12

I've heard a lot of folks enthusiastic about the shade provided from the new club sections, but I'm skeptical about how much shade will be provided. The only games that will likely get any shade at all are 11am games since the sun will start out behind you. After about 2pm I think the sun will be at enough of an angle from the opposite side of the field that all shade will be gone. To make matters worse, what was formerly a great place for the hottest games b/c you got the best breeze in the stadium will now have any and all wind blocked by the club sections. This overhang could make the last several rows on the east side a raging inferno.

The only way to provide shade for the east side is to build the west side taller, but we don't need to do that.

My screenshot was too large of a file to upload. If you click the link attached you will get an understanding of what they expect for the overhang. If this ends up to be accurate then I think the top 3 rows will be significantly covered. The current view is 3 rows from the top and there is just a slight window of sky between the overhang and west side upper deck.

This view is also the basis of my concern with the video board. Will the top 2 rows of the east side be partially cut off from the video board view?

https://www.seats3d.com/ncaa/texas_christian_university/football/#/p;147__p_234_4/

stbrab

My screenshot was too large of a file to upload. If you click the link attached you will get an understanding of what they expect for the overhang. If this ends up to be accurate then I think the top 3 rows will be significantly covered. The current view is 3 rows from the top and there is just a slight window of sky between the overhang and west side upper deck.

This view is also the basis of my concern with the video board. Will the top 2 rows of the east side be partially cut off from the video board view?

https://www.seats3d.com/ncaa/texas_christian_university/football/#/p;147__p_234_4/
If you select a seat in section 234, up to row EE, and use the 360 feature, it appears the Club will cover 7-8 rows, and the Suites overhang, another 5-6.