• The KillerFrogs

East Bay Times: College friends get jail time for covering up boating death of California teen

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
East Bay Times: College friends get jail time for covering up boating death of California teen

By TONY SAAVEDRA | Southern California News Group

14IMG_7940.jpg

When Jack Elliott boarded a 22-foot boat for a day of drinking and swimming with college friends on a Texas lake, no one knew how badly it would end.

Elliott, a 19-year-old Texas Christian University freshman from Newport Beach, was killed in October 2019 after a girl he was kissing gave him a “playful little shove” that sent him overboard and into the boat’s propeller.

For background, see: Mystery over Texas boating death of OC teen finally unravels years later

Two of his friends from TCU are now heading to jail — not for Elliott’s death, but for trying to hide the details from police, details that took years to fully unravel. Another friend is going to jail for providing some of the alcohol for the trip.

Read more at https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2023/0...ering-up-boating-death-of-newport-beach-teen/

FrogCop19

Good Lord that's jacked up. I'm so glad they give the victims a chance to make their statements like that in court, and I'm glad they let those kids have it.

And 30 days? That seems woefully inadequate, not only for involuntary manslaughter (which I think this falls under, not sure why they weren't charged for that), but lying/falsifying reports to a police officer in events leading to a death? Seems incredibly light sentencing.

But what do I know...

HToady

Delaney Brennan was so remorseful she continued to photograph herself “hard partying” for the remainder of her years at TCU. The biggest disappointment is that the TCU Code of Conduct is not worth the paper it’s written on...

OICU812

Good Lord that's jacked up. I'm so glad they give the victims a chance to make their statements like that in court, and I'm glad they let those kids have it.

And 30 days? That seems woefully inadequate, not only for involuntary manslaughter (which I think this falls under, not sure why they weren't charged for that), but lying/falsifying reports to a police officer in events leading to a death? Seems incredibly light sentencing.

But what do I know...
So many of them lied to investigators in the immediate aftermath about who was driving the boat and many other details about who was where and doing what, that I’m sure the DA was not confident enough to prosecute for the death. Only for the cover up. Thank God the one girl had enough of a conscience to be straight with the boy’s parents afterward, or they might never have known what happened.

TCUdirtbag

Delaney Brennan was so remorseful she continued to photograph herself “hard partying” for the remainder of her years at TCU. The biggest disappointment is that the TCU Code of Conduct is not worth the paper it’s written on...
I’m obviously not privy to any details beyond the news stories - of which I’m sure are many - but losing a friend at 19 and going through these criminal, civil, and school judicial processes scheisss a lot of people up mental health wise. Add in the pressures of being a late teen that’s been through Covid and all the other worldly [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ].

We should take a pass on casting judgment on her.

Awful situation. Some measure of justice hopefully, though nothing can bring back a life.

Brevity Frog

The thing that haunts me is the photograph of Jack and his father giving the Frog sign. I identify with the joy of that dad as he sends his son to college. So much potential, pride. Losing a child is pure anguish. I saw my parents endure this. God bless Jack’s parents and family.

Those responsible for his death and cover up are getting off light from a Legal perspective. I do recognize dirtbag’s point however.

But what do I know...
$