• The KillerFrogs

Dykes’ thoughts in 2018 of his Cal years, 2017 at TCU, and SMU

“Cal was a great place to be,” Dykes said. “But it was a complicated place, a lot of things that were going on. It was a grind when I was there, a tough four years. Having a chance to be around TCU really gave me a chance to get a new perspective and get excited about coaching again.”

“Spending a year at TCU made me realize we didn’t do that bad a job at Cal."

Last edited:

Paint It Purple

“Cal was a great place to be,” Dykes said. “But it was a complicated place, a lot of things that were going on. It was a grind when I was there, a tough four years. Having a chance to be around TCU really gave me a chance to get a new perspective and get excited about coaching again.”

“Spending a year at TCU made me realize we didn’t do that bad a job at Cal."
Wow! After reading that story, I can't imagine why any good coach would want to work at Cal.

Big Frog II

I would think Cal would be one of the tougher jobs to coach. I really doubt the school or community is really behind the football team like most state schools. Take a guy from Big Springs Texas, and you have made it even tougher.

allclearforfrogs

Cal Berkeley is pretty apathetic towards football compared to other schools of its size. I agree it's a hard place to win - though they have in the past.

gofor2

Speaking of tough places to keep a program going, the service academies have to be the toughest jobs. Weight restriction, plus academic requirements, then military service requirements. This article is a pretty good one

gofor2

Great read, for those critics of the hire, read this, it comes as no surprise that Berkeley is basically impossible to win at. Never hire resumes (good or bad) , hire talent.
I'm sure its a mix of things. Cal being tough to coach at, plus Dykes interviewed for Houston, Baylor and Missouri, so it was clear he wasn't interested in staying. That plus putting the worse defense in program history on the field is probably why he was fired.