• The KillerFrogs

Downing could be the Best 5th Team QB in D1

Moose Stuff

Wow ... so you think they would have put Downing in before Rogers...

So 4th string would mean a lot more competition than 5th string, LOL ...

I’m just repeating what I’ve heard from someone who should know. Justin Rogers the HS JR was a potential superstar. Justin Rogers the TCU QB was not even remotely close to being a viable P5 QB. Worth noting that Downing was good enough to see action in four games as a freshman at U Georgia.

Wexahu

I’m just repeating what I’ve heard from someone who should know. Justin Rogers the HS JR was a potential superstar. Justin Rogers the TCU QB was not even remotely close to being a viable P5 QB. Worth noting that Downing was good enough to see action in four games as a freshman at U Georgia.

I don't really doubt this, but what the heck do you think happened? Was his game so reliant on his running ability that once that was kind of compromised he was totally ineffective? Was he way overhyped/overrated to begin with? It's just kind of an odd deal, and I'm aware of the severity of his injury.

Moose Stuff

I don't really doubt this, but what the heck do you think happened? Was his game so reliant on his running ability that once that was kind of compromised he was totally ineffective? Was he way overhyped/overrated to begin with? It's just kind of an odd deal, and I'm aware of the severity of his injury.

All of that? I honestly don’t know.

Last edited:

PO Frog

I’m not sure he was a huge dual threat guy in the first place but I didn’t see him enough to know. I really think the issue is that he just hasn’t played very much football, and practically none at a high level. What has he started on a varsity level and beyond, 10 games? I’m not even sure if it’s that many because wasn’t Wudtee the starter his junior season?

Wexahu

I’m not sure he was a huge dual threat guy in the first place but I didn’t see him enough to know. I really think the issue is that he just hasn’t played very much football, and practically none at a high level. What has he started on a varsity level and beyond, 10 games? I’m not even sure if it’s that many because wasn’t Wudtee the starter his junior season?

Maybe so, but it’s hard to understand how a kid who played 10 games of football could elevate to 5-star recruit status.

Moose Stuff

Maybe so, but it’s hard to understand how a kid who played 10 games of football could elevate to 5-star recruit status.

The recruiting services get quite a bit right. They also COMPLETELY miss on kids all the time. People criticize them (and I get it) but the NFL misses on first rounders all the time. Making a living predicting the future success of young athletes can be a miserable undertaking.

MTfrog5

Looked really good throwing in 7 on 7 and camps. Plus having Marshall as a high school teammate I’m sure help a little. I think him only playing 10 games on varsity really hurt his development on recognizing coverage and blitz packages.

jake102

Looked really good throwing in 7 on 7 and camps. Plus having Marshall as a high school teammate I’m sure help a little.

I remember the first time I heard of JR I watched the HUDL and my immediate post was "who is that WR? We have to get that guy". Of course it turned out he was a 5 star WR set on going to LSU. Marshall stood out way more than JR

PO Frog

I actually think he might have a world class arm but that obviously isn’t all it takes. There was something from the off season about his velocity on the gun being higher than anyone tested over the last 10 NFL drafts or something crazy like that. He probably could throw a ball over them mountains.

FrogCop19

I actually think he might have a world class arm but that obviously isn’t all it takes. There was something from the off season about his velocity on the gun being higher than anyone tested over the last 10 NFL drafts or something crazy like that. He probably could throw a ball over them mountains.
Yeah, so can Max, but can he hit a golf cart at that range?

McGregor's Goat

I had to look up TCU's roster to determine who might play QB. Given the overall state of the team and season, the only way a Downing start makes me feel worse than I already do is if:

(1) TCU loses a close game
(2) Downing is so bad that I can believe TCU would have won if Delton had played

And anything is possible, but that seems like an unlikely scenario.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
He's not going to get much of a chance to throw anything if he's the starter. The Rapists will simply load the box and crush him. As has been recently shown, we evidently don't have an O-line and the Offensive brain trust hasn't a clue how to place players in a position to succeed.

All we can hope for is a pre-game sale at Spec's.

LeagueCityFrog

I had to look up TCU's roster to determine who might play QB. Given the overall state of the team and season, the only way a Downing start makes me feel worse than I already do is if:

(1) TCU loses a close game
(2) Downing is so bad that I can believe TCU would have won if Delton had played

And anything is possible, but that seems like an unlikely scenario.

My understanding was that in 2 a days and since, Downing was doing better reading the practice defenses than the other TCU quarterbacks and the TCU football brain trust thought some of these same scholarship quarterbacks would bolt Fort Worth if they let Downing play before them.

Downing has been on the travel squad all season and not players like Justin Rogers and others. That's not an accident. Gary knows what he's doing.

With those guys now off the team, it is a non issue and if Downing does play and plays well don't be surprised if Gary doesn't put him on scholarship. Gary loves his older brother who is on staff and helps send in the defensive play calls. Downing was the starting quarterback at legit Georgia power Alpharetta High School and was the University of Georgia's #3 qb as a true freshman behind 2 potential NFL quarterbacks.

I hope the kid plays well and silences any of these naysayers on here. Go Frogs...Beat Baylor!

Frogs finish 7-5 this year, then will win their bowl game and then do some January program house cleaning so the 2020 season doesn't look like 2018 and 2019. I don't like where TCU football is trending, but Gary will get it fixed. He's in the prime of his career.

Froggish

Potential is just that until developed..His injury stunted his ability to grow into the guy everyone thought he could be..