• The KillerFrogs

Doug Meacham returning to the staff [MOD EDIT: Now Official]

PO Frog

I am not an orthopedic doc but when I watched Baldwin in warm ups he did not seem to be limited at all. Now will he have problems over the course of a season? We won't know until he gets there. After having multiple surgeries scare tissue can be a problem along with stability of the joint. I don't recall exactly what his knee problem was initially although I remember them saying he had scar tissue removed with the second surgery.
His knee isn't the current problem.

cheese83

The offensive strategy of getting to the LOS and standing there for 5-15 seconds before snapping the ball is absurd. Either huddle and get to the LOS and play or go hurry-up

The only reason I think teams tend to do that is for them to run a hurry up without subbing therefore preventing the D from subbing. Then by sitting there for 5-15 seconds they let everyone catch their breath and try to see what the defense is going to line up in.

cheese83

interesting that you can take parts of the story and create a story that has some truth

the 2017 offensive line was a very good group that opened the holes to a solid run game and allowed only 18 sacks in 14 games(over 400 pass attempts)

the 2018 offensive line did a good job pass blocking as well allowing 16 sacks in 13 games (over 400 pass attempts). the offense struggled greatly, anderson was hurt, and the run game struggled until late in the year.

in 2019 the frogs did average over 200 yards a game on the ground.

interesting thing is there is mention about the frogs having an experienced offensive line in 2019, but consider that the group that started against ok state in the must win game in 2018 was mckinney, elliott, gaynor, harris, and niang.

elliott and gaynor were gone in 2019 and the only one of the other 3 who played more than 5 games was mckinney. niang shut it down after 5 games and harris i believe only played 2 games.

Our running game really tanked though once we entered conference play. Prior to that Darius was on fire and then just disappeared whether it was due to injury or what. Could also be defenses had film on Duggan and caught up on our offensive tendencies. Knew we couldn't stretch the field and focused on the run. I'm sure the Stats o'War guy (Parker) has something on it.

jake102

The only reason I think teams tend to do that is for them to run a hurry up without subbing therefore preventing the D from subbing. Then by sitting there for 5-15 seconds they let everyone catch their breath and try to see what the defense is going to line up in.

Except that we often subbed out a WR or RB.

Eight

Our running game really tanked though once we entered conference play. Prior to that Darius was on fire and then just disappeared whether it was due to injury or what. Could also be defenses had film on Duggan and caught up on our offensive tendencies. Knew we couldn't stretch the field and focused on the run. I'm sure the Stats o'War guy (Parker) has something on it.

agree completely which is why when people start throwing numbers around they can be skewed.

perfect example is how many of those yards came from one long duggan run off the zone read or came from his scrambling.

something was definitely wrong last year. players who had been effective in prior years such as cordell and austin struggled and david b was out of position at tackle. that could be seen in the game where coker comes in as a true freshman and while he isn't dominant he isn't getting overwhelmed.

one of the mysteries about last year.

jake102

something was definitely wrong last year. players who had been effective in prior years such as cordell and austin struggled and david b was out of position at tackle. that could be seen in the game where coker comes in as a true freshman and while he isn't dominant he isn't getting overwhelmed.

Yep. McKinney regressed horribly, Myers and Iwuagwu regressed to lesser extent. Doesn't make sense

Eight

Yep. McKinney regressed horribly, Myers and Iwuagwu regressed to lesser extent. Doesn't make sense

i am not the guy who can answer whether or not the frogs where trying to do something different in the run game in 2019 that the frogs had done in 2017 and 2018,

that would only explain part of the problems as mckinney had looked competent pass blocking in 2018 and looked overwhelmed last year. cordell looked like he was struggling to move laterally and myers looked overmatched physically.

As Gary assembles additions to his staff (assuming there will be some) which single attribute will most likely take

precedence.....position capability or staff compatibility?

Snoop1122

So, if Meach is officially brought back in as consultant/inside receivers coach would we still use an Air Raid offense or maybe something similar to Baylor's run/pass mix? We are still deep at running back with two really good young running backs and Demarcado and Duggan can run it well.