• The KillerFrogs

Doug Meacham returning to the staff [MOD EDIT: Now Official]

Frog-in-law1995

It is not baseless. He was replaced. I don't think Thompson was a success but he would still be the OL coach if he did not go to FSU. Facts.

TCU is going back to a OL coach that was replaced. Fact.

And it is ok to be worried about that. We all want the best for TCU and offensive line is one of the most important if not the most important positions on the field. And it is ok to want the best coach for the job rather than not knowing if TCU will go back to the level of when he got replaced. Anderson might be the best hire and I accept that. But now he has expectations to perform even with a young line. To go out and become a better OL coach by getting ideas from others. I have high expectations for him. I expect our young OL to perform. You will say the line is young and give excuses. He knows the job, took it , and now there is top 25 expectations. Do I think TCU could of hired a better coach? Who cares. Now I'm Anderson's biggest fan. Hope he knows what he is doing and kicks arse.

They needed someone to fill Meacham’s spot at inside receivers coach, but the guy Sonny wanted to add to the staff was a better fit at O Line, so they moved Anderson, who had experience coaching receivers, out there. They weren’t out looking for a new O Line coach.

Eight

Truth is, the OL has been a huge weak spot for most of the last 4 seasons. We're all just speculating on who's to blame but it's hard for me to look at either Anderson OR Thomsen as great options based on what we've seen. I'm not sure anything is better or worse with that situation going into next season.

i agree with you completely country.

the biggest concern i have about the offensive line play is that the only time the frogs had a consistent run game since they came into the big 12 in 2012 was 2017.

part of that was starting two true freshmen in the offensive line in 2012 (funny how jeremy inferred thomsen benefited from taking over an experienced line from anderson in 2016, but no one mentions anderson taking over an experienced line from williamson in 2014), but a big part was 2017 in the one season that i can recall (and may well be wrong) where the frogs had a solid designed run scheme.

not sure what happened after 2017, don't know why it seems some of the young offensive linemen have been slow to develop, don't know why the run game went the direction it did last year, but changes needed to be made.

my biggest concern for next year is where is the change going to come from? where are the new ideas going to come from? i believe anderson is a functional foot soldier of a coach, but what new ideas is he going to produce?

meacham is an air-raid guy who believes in the mike leach passing tree and minimal formations, motion, etc......

this is what he did here for 3 years and what he did at kansas where he crashed and burned. maybe he has learned from those two experiences, but once again where do the new ideas come from? he is tweeting about the genius of leach and mumme which doesn't sound like he has changed his view on offense.

some tried to say doug won't call plays and wouldn't have influence in the offense which was not only off base, but now we have someone siting jeremy that gary wanted 2 coaches with play calling ability.

i truly hope that the success of 2014 and 2015 wasn't predominantly boykin, doctson, green, and the quality of the offensive line recruits, but no one can point to anything that has happened since that disproves this other than one season, 2017. not at tcu, not at kansas and for those who talk about the lack of talent at kansas how the hell did les miles do what he did this year with a group that beatty and meacham couldn't get to piss a drop in their time.

PO Frog

The offensive strategy of getting to the LOS and standing there for 5-15 seconds before snapping the ball is absurd. Either huddle and get to the LOS and play or go hurry-up
This is interesting to me and feels like we have almost come full circle. I agree that it makes more sense to do one or the other - huddle and get to the line of scrimmage and go, or HUNH an go without the dreadfully boring look to the sidelines. I have a hunch teams do it the way they do now because they don't trust their QBs to audible and get them out of bad plays/formations anymore. I don't think QBs really make any play changes these days.

Dogfrog

There are countless people who get credit for the offense being great in 14 and 15. I have no idea where Anderson fits on that list.

Your point is valid though. Nobody on here actually KNOWS how good Anderson, Thomsen, or 99% of all other OL coaches are at their jobs. It's a position group that very few fans have any level of knowledge about at all and almost no one is qualified to evaluate the coaching of that group from the outside.

My only thought is that Anderson has held several different positions on the staff over the years and the groups he coaches often (not always) seem to perform at a lower level relative to the rest of the team. That's a far from exact scientific approach but it's fair to wonder how good he actually is as a coach imo.

98-00. GA - OL
01-08. Receivers
09-13. Co-OC / RB’s
14-16. OL
17-19. Inside Receivers
20- OL

After the 16 season Meacham left. They moved Anderson over to replace him as IR coach and back filled OL with Thomsen.

Edit: I defer to Frog In Law 95 recollection re Sonny’s involvement.

Last edited:

Frog-in-law1995

This is interesting to me and feels like we have almost come full circle. I agree that it makes more sense to do one or the other - huddle and get to the line of scrimmage and go, or HUNH an go without the dreadfully boring look to the sidelines. I have a hunch teams do it the way they do now because they don't trust their QBs to audible and get them out of bad plays/formations anymore. I don't think QBs really make any play changes these days.

Was rewatching the Rose Bowl recently and it struck me how good Dalton was at calling an audible to take advantage of something he saw in the defense. Herbstreit even commented on it a couple of times. Man I’d love to see that again. An offense all on the same page who don’t need the micro-management on Saturdays.

Froginbedford

i agree with you completely country.

i truly hope that the success of 2014 and 2015 wasn't predominantly boykin, doctson, green, and the quality of the offensive line recruits, but no one can point to anything that has happened since that disproves this other than one season, 2017. not at tcu, not at kansas and for those who talk about the lack of talent at kansas how the hell did les miles do what he did this year with a group that beatty and meacham couldn't get to piss a drop in their time.

The more I've read posted here and other places, the more I've thought about it and remembered what I do recall of the 2014-2015 seasons, the more I'm convinced that those years were aberrations....I don't forsee a duo the likes of Boykin-Doctson coming to town again...at least not for several years, I fear....Together they were a freak show of delightful performance....

Wexahu

I think film study always helps the defense more than the offense, because film study is basically all pre-snap stuff and defenses can move people around before the snap and offenses are limited in that.

So the more the offense and defense stand there and look at each other before snapping the ball, the more advantage the defense has. I have no idea why we line up and take 10 seconds to snap it.

Eight

The offensive strategy of getting to the LOS and standing there for 5-15 seconds before snapping the ball is absurd. Either huddle and get to the LOS and play or go hurry-up

if you aren't shifting or using motion that forces the defense to move and possibly tip off their coverage i have never understood running the clock down just prior to the play clock expiring.

so many offenses line up, look at the defensive alignment, make a change, and then the good defenses will make a change and we get this back and forth until the snap.

you could see last year when the frogs regularly would snap the ball inside of 5 seconds that defenses would wait to adjust and you weren't doing your offensive line any favors when a defense knew the ball had to be snapped in the next few seconds.

look at the last drive against smu on the value of using some tempo, not only the defense to get set, and the offense being effective and what happened to the drive when the frogs slowed things down.

Moose Stuff

Weren't you a big Thomsen fan and saying it would be a big loss if he left? Might be mixing it up.

I found it funny when people started freaking out about him going to FSU after calling for his head following WVU game.

I was a big fan of CT the human and CT the recruiter. I have no idea if he was a good OL coach. I would have preferred that he stayed. The point I’m trying to make is that quite a few people on here are quick to comment on how much better CT was than JA yet the on field results don’t support that AT ALL. It’s just an observation.

jake102

I think film study always helps the defense more than the offense, because film study is basically all pre-snap stuff and defenses can move people around before the snap and offenses are limited in that.

So the more the offense and defense stand there and look at each other before snapping the ball, the more advantage the defense has. I have no idea why we line up and take 10 seconds to snap it.

Absolutely. My favorite thing we do during that 10 second stare off is the QB switches the RB from right to left or vice versa. And predictably we run to the side we switch to and get stuffed

Was rewatching the Rose Bowl recently and it struck me how good Dalton was at calling an audible to take advantage of something he saw in the defense. Herbstreit even commented on it a couple of times. Man I’d love to see that again. An offense all on the same page who don’t need the micro-management on Saturdays.
Great point. And I think Casey was able to do that the next season as well an even commented on what a meticulous planner that Fuente was with regard to what they needed to do against opposing defenses. We didn’t score a huge amount of points in the Rose Bowl but his plan to deal with JJ Watt was pretty brilliant and rendered him largely a non-factor in the game.

I was a big fan of CT the human and CT the recruiter. I have no idea if he was a good OL coach. I would have preferred that he stayed. The point I’m trying to make is that quite a few people on here are quick to comment on how much better CT was than JA yet the on field results don’t support that AT ALL. It’s just an observation.

I think you are misreading or I worded my paragraph(s) wrong. I don't think anyone is comparing the two or saying who is better than who.

I think some of us were hoping for an offensive line coach that could help the line be better than past years. And we just don't know what to expect by going back to a previous coach. He is there and I support him 100%, but my expectations is high even with a young offensive line.

And now I see what some of you are saying with Anderson that he was only replaced because the guy they wanted to bring in was better suited for coaching offensive line. And now that coach is gone Patterson is just doing the logical thing and putting Anderson back at offensive line where he is better suited and Meacham to the spot he is better suited for inside WRs. Makes sense.

froginmn

I don't know what the hell y'all are even talking about. According to the FSU website:

During his three years at TCU, Thomsen directed one of the top offensive lines in the country and coached five all-conference performers. The Horned Frogs led the Big 12 in fewest sacks allowed in each of his first two seasons, averaging 1.23 sacks allowed per game in 2018 and 1.29 in 2017 to rank 14th and 19th, respectively, in the country. The 2019 line paved the way for the Horned Frogs to average 204.0 rushing yards per game.

Moose Stuff

I don't know what the hell y'all are even talking about. According to the FSU website:

During his three years at TCU, Thomsen directed one of the top offensive lines in the country and coached five all-conference performers. The Horned Frogs led the Big 12 in fewest sacks allowed in each of his first two seasons, averaging 1.23 sacks allowed per game in 2018 and 1.29 in 2017 to rank 14th and 19th, respectively, in the country. The 2019 line paved the way for the Horned Frogs to average 204.0 rushing yards per game.

I think Mark Cohen wrote that.

Mean Purple

CT better at recruiting vs. JA better at developing? (For that position)