• The KillerFrogs

Doug Meacham returning to the staff [MOD EDIT: Now Official]

I know where you're coming from however 3 years ago we went out and got someone who many considered was a Top OL coach in Thomsen and we all know how well that turned out.

Such a cop out. Just because one guy who never had a reputation but had TCU ties comes in and doesn't work out, actually did work out and now FSU deputy head coach, then the team goes back to its previous OL coach that didn't work out?

I understand Anderson is a lifer Patterson guy. You have to have coaches on the team like that but offensive line. Gary has a lot of trust in him, totally understand. Gary can rely that he will do his job and he is a heck of a recruiter. OL is such an important role. And with these young OL for 2020 he better be ready to teach them about angles, hip control, fast to the first punch, acceleration. Technique, Technique, Technique. Hope he goes out and spends some time this off season with other top offensive line coaches with his GA and just get ideas after ideas of how best to develop OL and how to get young OL to play elite early. Maybe go over to Athens to talk to Matt Luke as they had to get their young guys ready in 14 days to start in the Sugar Bowl. Then head to Oregon who also had a great line in 2019, etc.

ShreveFrog

Supposedly as the inside WR coach.
Well, if that's all, that's a recipe for disaster. Talk about a clash of egos. Meacham put on a shelf below Cumbie. Can't imagine he'd leave his position in the XFL for that. And to a staff/program that may need a full overhaul if '20 is a failure.

Moose Stuff

Such a cop out. Just because one guy who never had a reputation but had TCU ties comes in and doesn't work out, actually did work out and now FSU deputy head coach, then the team goes back to its previous OL coach that didn't work out?

I understand Anderson is a lifer Patterson guy. You have to have coaches on the team like that but offensive line. Gary has a lot of trust in him, totally understand. Gary can rely that he will do his job and he is a heck of a recruiter. OL is such an important role. And with these young OL for 2020 he better be ready to teach them about angles, hip control, fast to the first punch, acceleration. Technique, Technique, Technique. Hope he goes out and spends some time this off season with other top offensive line coaches with his GA and just get ideas after ideas of how best to develop OL and how to get young OL to play elite early. Maybe go over to Athens to talk to Matt Luke as they had to get their young guys ready in 14 days to start in the Sugar Bowl. Then head to Oregon who also had a great line in 2019, etc.

I’m not defending or advocating for either of them, but when you say Thompson worked out and Anderson didn’t can you quantify that please??? Because we undeniably had better OL and a better offense under Anderson than Thompson.

Dogfrog

I’m not defending or advocating for either of them, but when you say Thompson worked out and Anderson didn’t can you quantify that please??? Because we undeniably had better OL and a better offense under Anderson than Thompson.

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen such a baseless hate fest. Clueless people are just buying what other clueless people are saying about him and it has spiraled out of control. I don’t know if Anderson is the answer or not but nobody, including Anderson, deserves this.

Eight

And gave up 30 sacks and a countless number of pressures. Hopefully that doesn’t happen in 2020 either.

so about the 31 sacks in 2016 from an offensive line with 5 nfl caliber talents who had played in over 100 games and 11 letters prior to the 2016 season?

very, very comparable group to the 2019 unit right?

BABYFACE

Well, if that's all, that's a recipe for disaster. Talk about a clash of egos. Meacham put on a shelf below Cumbie. Can't imagine he'd leave his position in the XFL for that. And to a staff/program that may need a full overhaul if '20 is a failure.

Word is that GP wanted to fill the two vacancies with coaches that have play calling experience. Also, GP ran the Meach idea past his coaching staff and they are ok with it. My op is that Meach has changed his view on things and wants to rejoin the gang.

I have to give credit for info to JC at the TCU 247 site. For those that haven’t been over there, it is great site to pair with KFC. They compliment each other very well because they aren’t duplicate in nature but very different animals.

It is not baseless. He was replaced. I don't think Thompson was a success but he would still be the OL coach if he did not go to FSU. Facts.

TCU is going back to a OL coach that was replaced. Fact.

And it is ok to be worried about that. We all want the best for TCU and offensive line is one of the most important if not the most important positions on the field. And it is ok to want the best coach for the job rather than not knowing if TCU will go back to the level of when he got replaced. Anderson might be the best hire and I accept that. But now he has expectations to perform even with a young line. To go out and become a better OL coach by getting ideas from others. I have high expectations for him. I expect our young OL to perform. You will say the line is young and give excuses. He knows the job, took it , and now there is top 25 expectations. Do I think TCU could of hired a better coach? Who cares. Now I'm Anderson's biggest fan. Hope he knows what he is doing and kicks arse.

Last edited:
so about the 31 sacks in 2016 from an offensive line with 5 nfl caliber talents who had played in over 100 games and 11 letters prior to the 2016 season?

I listened to the comment on the podcast and my memory of that 2016 group is that they were very similar to what we saw this year and that was why we got a new coach. The stats you cited on sacks tend to support my recollection of what the OL was like after Bryson Oliver was no longer there to actually do the coaching.

CountryFrog

Truth is, the OL has been a huge weak spot for most of the last 4 seasons. We're all just speculating on who's to blame but it's hard for me to look at either Anderson OR Thomsen as great options based on what we've seen. I'm not sure anything is better or worse with that situation going into next season.

jake102

Truth is, the OL has been a huge weak spot for most of the last 4 seasons. We're all just speculating on who's to blame but it's hard for me to look at either Anderson OR Thomsen as great options based on what we've seen. I'm not sure anything is better or worse with that situation going into next season.

Agreed. It's very telling in my opinion that we place so many guys in the NFL from the OL yet don't get the same production at TCU

Wexahu

i think some of it can be pinned on the offense as a whole. Very little deception or creativity. It's damn hard to block people when the defense kind of knows what's coming and it has looked like that WAY too often the past few years.

When was the last time it looked like we really had a defensive coordinator perplexed for any extended period of time? Maybe a play here and there early in a game but that's about it. There are things coordinators can do to help a weaker line and I'm not sure ours has done much of that.

Limp Lizard

Anderson was the OL coach in 14, 15 and 16. Not bad years for the OL. We had awful QB play in 16 and still ended up in a bowl. When Thompson came and everyone was swooning about him and looked up where he had been...absolutely awful stats, which of course could have been the general offensive scheme, too.

Anderson's three years the OL was fine. So where do people get about what a bad coach he is, no matter where he coaches?

Moose Stuff

It is not baseless. He was replaced. I don't think Thompson was a success but he would still be the OL coach if he did not go to FSU. Facts.

TCU is going back to a OL coach that was replaced. Fact.

And it is ok to be worried about that. We all want the best for TCU and offensive line is one of the most important if not the most important positions on the field. And it is ok to want the best coach for the job rather than not knowing if TCU will go back to the level of when he got replaced. Anderson might be the best hire and I accept that. But now he has expectations to perform even with a young line. To go out and become a better OL coach by getting ideas from others. I have high expectations for him. I expect our young OL to perform. You will say the line is young and give excuses. He knows the job, took it , and now there is top 25 expectations. Do I think TCU could of hired a better coach? Who cares. Now I'm Anderson's biggest fan. Hope he knows what he is doing and kicks arse.

You typed 3 paragraphs but didn’t quantify it. My point stands.... we had a better offense and at worst equal OL play under Anderson as compared to Thomsen. Again, I’m not saying Anderson worked out as much as I’m saying Thomsen didn’t work out either.... our heavily veteran OL that had three years with CT was god awful.

Wexahu

Anderson's three years the OL was fine. So where do people get about what a bad coach he is, no matter where he coaches?

For whatever reason, he is slotted by a majority of the fan base. GP could've brought in any coach out there who had been an OL coach before and it would have been seen as an improvement, even if that guy couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag.

I don't know if Anderson is the absolute best guy we could've had to take the position of OL coach, but I'm very confident we could do A LOT worse.

CountryFrog

Anderson was the OL coach in 14, 15 and 16. Not bad years for the OL. We had awful QB play in 16 and still ended up in a bowl. When Thompson came and everyone was swooning about him and looked up where he had been...absolutely awful stats, which of course could have been the general offensive scheme, too.

There are countless people who get credit for the offense being great in 14 and 15. I have no idea where Anderson fits on that list.

Your point is valid though. Nobody on here actually KNOWS how good Anderson, Thomsen, or 99% of all other OL coaches are at their jobs. It's a position group that very few fans have any level of knowledge about at all and almost no one is qualified to evaluate the coaching of that group from the outside.

My only thought is that Anderson has held several different positions on the staff over the years and the groups he coaches often (not always) seem to perform at a lower level relative to the rest of the team. That's a far from exact scientific approach but it's fair to wonder how good he actually is as a coach imo.

jake102

i think some of it can be pinned on the offense as a whole. Very little deception or creativity. It's damn hard to block people when the defense kind of knows what's coming and it has looked like that WAY too often the past few years.

The offensive strategy of getting to the LOS and standing there for 5-15 seconds before snapping the ball is absurd. Either huddle and get to the LOS and play or go hurry-up

jake102

You typed 3 paragraphs but didn’t quantify it. My point stands.... we had a better offense and at worst equal OL play under Anderson as compared to Thomsen. Again, I’m not saying Anderson worked out as much as I’m saying Thomsen didn’t work out either.... our heavily veteran OL that had three years with CT was god awful.

Weren't you a big Thomsen fan and saying it would be a big loss if he left? Might be mixing it up.

I found it funny when people started freaking out about him going to FSU after calling for his head following WVU game.

Dogfrog

Weren't you a big Thomsen fan and saying it would be a big loss if he left? Might be mixing it up.

I found it funny when people started freaking out about him going to FSU after calling for his head following WVU game.

He’s coaching TE’s at FSU.