• The KillerFrogs

Doug Meacham returning to the staff [MOD EDIT: Now Official]

froginmn

Had nothing to do with being 9th in the country and 1st in the conference in yards per offensive play?
image.png

Wexahu

Had nothing to do with being 9th in the country and 1st in the conference in yards per offensive play?

Much less to do with that IMO. Even with our almost unwatchable offense this year, if we force 40 turnovers we probably finish at worst 10-2.

I think people kind of have this idea where we were just awesome on offense that year and it just isn’t true. Even saw one comment about how Boykin “shredded” Ole Miss in the Peach Bowl. He was borderline bad in that game, it was dominated by the defense (again).

texas_sicilian

Much less to do with that IMO. Even with our almost unwatchable offense this year, if we force 40 turnovers we probably finish at worst 10-2.

I think people kind of have this idea where we were just awesome on offense that year and it just isn’t true. Even saw one comment about how Boykin “shredded” Ole Miss in the Peach Bowl. He was borderline bad in that game, it was dominated by the defense (again).
Both sides were dominant. That was one of the most well balanced teams I’d ever seen.

Frog-in-law1995

Well that’s certainly an opinion all right.

The 2019 team might very well have have won 10 games with a +35 turnover margin. Hell, they won or were within 1 score of winning 11 games, and would’ve had one more chance in a bowl. But the 2014 team crushed teams. They only won 3 close games all year: OU, West Virginia and Kansas, and only against West Virginia where we were on the plus side of turnovers (+4, actually). They didn’t win us OU or Kansas, and they may have increased our margin of victory in the blowouts, but they only won us 1 game. The offense scored all those points.

Wexahu

Both sides were dominant. That was one of the most well balanced teams I’d ever seen.

Offense gained 423 yards on 79 plays and turned it over 4 times. That’ll get you beat more often than not against decent teams. Defense on the other hand gave up 129 yards and turned them over 4 times, and scored a TD. Now that is dominating.

Frog-in-law1995

Offense gained 423 yards on 79 plays and turned it over 4 times. That’ll get you beat more often than not against decent teams. Defense on the other hand gave up 129 yards and turned them over 4 times, and scored a TD. Now that is dominating.

Against the #1 defense (and slowing it down nearly the entire second half) and #70 offense. Jesus, Wex.

Wexahu

Well that’s certainly an opinion all right.

The 2019 team might very well have have won 10 games with a +35 turnover margin. Hell, they won or were within 1 score of winning 11 games, and would’ve had one more chance in a bowl. But the 2014 team crushed teams. They only won 3 close games all year: OU, West Virginia and Kansas, and only against West Virginia were we on the plus side of turnovers (+4, actually). They didn’t win us OU or Kansas, and they may have increased our margin of victory in the blowouts, but they only won us 1 game. The offense scored all those points.

Fair enough. Just never been a huge fan of this offense, even back in the “glory days”, and not all that excited about trying to bring the band back to replicate it. Not saying that is necessarily what we are trying to do but would like to see something quite a bit different than anything we’ve been watching for six years.

Eight

Our 2014 offense wasn’t as great as everyone seems to remember. That team was great because the defense caused something like 38 turnovers on the year. With two slow linebackers and two slow safeties I might add. The 2015 offense was much better. The 2016 offense was god awful.

the frogs 2014 was 2nd in the country in total offense, 2nd in points, 7th in passing, and 12th in yards per play

all great numbers, but i would not say the offense was significantly better than the 2013 auburn offense which was 12th in the country in total offense, 12th in points, 1st in rushing, and 9th in yards per play.

lashlee basically took a great running back in tre mason, paired him with a great athlete in nick marshall who many schools were recruiting as a defensive back, and ran the single wing all season to the national championship game.

both great offensive years where they took the talent available and got the most out of the talent

froginmn

As if saying the 2014 offense wasn't actually that great isn't enough, taking it to the next level of down playing how good they were in the Peach Bowl against the #1 defense in the country is very impressive. We were up 42-0 with 11 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.

SMH X infinity
See my pigeon posting....

Dogfrog

Yet more spin / OCD about 2014 TCU not being worthy of the playoff?