• The KillerFrogs

Does Steve Sarkisian as Texas coach make you fear them more?

Does Steve Sarkisian make you fear the UT football program now?

• Yes

Votes: 10 11.2%
  • No

Votes: 79 88.8%

• Total voters

McGregor's Goat

Technically I don't fear any team because the worst thing that could happen is they beat the crap out of TCU on a regular basis (sort of like OU does), which really doesn't affect my life other than annoying me for a few hours.

But in the spirit of the question, it seems like a risky hire with a low probability of success. If you told me TCU's next coach would be either Herman or Sark, I would rather have Herman.

In 6 years as a head coach, Herman has a record of 54-22 (.711). In 7 years, Sark has a record of 46-35 (.568). Even at USC, Sark was only 12-6 (.667).

It's possible that he will light it up at Texas, but I would be pretty disappointed in this hire if I was a UT fan. I would be disappointed if GP had retired and TCU had hired Sark, and TCU is obviously lower on the pecking order.

denverfrog

UT is always the same, fire 4 year old coach making a zillion dollars, hire a new name coach for a zillion dollars, spend another zillion dollars on assistants, maybe half a zillion dollars building new facilities, stadiums, etc., underperform until the new coach gets “players that fit his system” runs off the old players, strongly inferring the previous coaches 4 star recruits were lazy, overrated, etc., win a few games they should, maybe one they shouldn’t have, lose a lot more, all the time getting crazy high preseason rankings, kick the can down the road for 3-4 years, fire coach, then repeat.

4th. down

He had virtually the same resources at USC and the best he did there was 9-4.

UT will at least be above average and may make the b12 title game but this hire doesn’t instantly turn them into OU or better. Urban Meyer would’ve done that.

He will get 8-9 wins a season for 4-5 years and get fired like Herman.

Mac Daddy was doing that plus a NC and they moved him along.

Mean Purple

He had virtually the same resources at USC and the best he did there was 9-4.

UT will at least be above average and may make the b12 title game but this hire doesn’t instantly turn them into OU or better. Urban Meyer would’ve done that.

He will get 8-9 wins a season for 4-5 years and get fired like Herman.
Well, he was actually off the wagon most of the time at USC. Heck, the dude was drinking in the lockerroom. And then there was the straw that broke the camels back at the Salute to Troy event.

Mean Purple

Sark will either do well or flame out ingloriously within a couple of seasons. Good offensive coach not sure if he is more than an average college head coach. Most people would do well as the OC at Alabama.
Meh, hard to deny how much he impacted that offense at Bama. Sure, they had some firepower with Kiffin there, but the offense that has evolved under Sarkisian is a monster. He'll have to get a really good defensive coord so he can focus more on offense.

MAcFroggy

UT had the #3 recruiting class in both 2018 and 2019 per 247 composite

They only had the number 8 class in 2020 and currently have the number 17 class in 2021. Again, that is nowhere near Ohio State, Alabama, or UGA. Those programs never take a year off recruiting.

CardFrog

Charlie Strong scared me more than the next 2 guys. He was doing it the right way and given more time I think he could have been the answer. As long as new UT coaches get a couple of years each time and then get shot, they will never cause me to fear them. No way to generate stability. I would also like to think TCU has been the one causing the carousel to go round in Austin.

dawg

Nope. Very average at UWashington, got canned as OC from the Falcons, and drank his way out of the USC gig. And Texas paid $50m for this?

He's done well as OC at Bama, though I bet most of us could have cooridanted their 2017 recruiting class: Tua, Mac Jones, Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs, Jalen Waddle, Devonta Smith, Jedrick Wills, and Najee Harris.

Wexahu

Charlie Strong scared me more than the next 2 guys. He was doing it the right way and given more time I think he could have been the answer. As long as new UT coaches get a couple of years each time and then get shot, they will never cause me to fear them. No way to generate stability. I would also like to think TCU has been the one causing the carousel to go round in Austin.

Strong’s teams at UT were maybe the worst coached teams I’ve ever seen. Like not believing your eyes how bad and inept they were at times.

He wasn’t the answer. No way.

MAcFroggy

Am I the only one that thinks he did a good job at Washington? in the year preceding his arrival they won 0 games. The 4 years before that were 4,5,2, and 1. He got to 5 wins his first year and then had winning seasons of 7,7, 7, and 9 wins. This was at a program that had been pretty bad for about a decade.
Peterson turned the counter using the majority of his recruits. Helton won at usc using his recruits too.

Frog DJ

I would also like to think TCU has been the one causing the carousel to go round in Austin.

I have zero insider knowledge about the internal workings of either program (TCU or UT), but I've long felt that the big cigars in Austin will accept a 50/50 split with OU.

However, no Texas coach will survive if he can't beat TCU consistently.

Obviously, Strong and Herman have struggled to do that.

Go Frogs!

Froggish

I’ll forever maintain that UTs problems aren’t HC hiring related. If every hire has all the recruiting ammo they need to win and nobody has success, there something inherently wrong with the fundamentals of the athletic department and they gets taken out on their coaching hires.

I think Sark is a great hire for UT but he’ll be gone in 4 years after a couple of 9 win seasons and the spinning will continue.

Eight

Am I the only one that thinks he did a good job at Washington? in the year preceding his arrival they won 0 games. The 4 years before that were 4,5,2, and 1. He got to 5 wins his first year and then had winning seasons of 7,7, 7, and 9 wins. This was at a program that had been pretty bad for about a decade.
Peterson turned the counter using the majority of his recruits. Helton won at usc using his recruits too.

sarks situation at uw was similar to mensa going into austin

talking with a couple of members of wife's family who are dawg alums uw ended the tenure of rick neuheiesel because of some off the fields incidents involving players and the university still sensitive about their image after the way things ended with don james and the subsequent tarnished roses.

the dawgs' co, keith gilbertson was named the hc and last two years with uw going 1-10 in his second year. during this time uw named a new president, mark emmert of ncaa fame, and he helped oversee the hiring of someone to clean up the program in tyrone willingham.

willingham makes charlie strong look like a moderate. he did recruit fairly well with two classes in the 30's followed by a top 20 class, but his teams weren't well coached and the players where not happy with all ty's rules. he had the support of some key alums and the admin for three years because he did clean up the program, but that was all lost in year 4.

sark comes in to find some talent and kids who can follow rules, but need new life, good coaching, and a bit of fun and you see the results. he did stack two top 20 class and a top 25 class during his time in seattle which isn't the easiest thing to do as they aren't lavish with the budget

Hemingway

Meh, hard to deny how much he impacted that offense at Bama. Sure, they had some firepower with Kiffin there, but the offense that has evolved under Sarkisian is a monster. He'll have to get a really good defensive coord so he can focus more on offense.
Does he get better talent now than he did at USC and Bama?

CountryFrog

Funny how so many people are quick to say that our 2014 and 15 offenses were only because of Doctson and Boykin with no credit at all to coaching but Sark working with MUCH more at Alabama really did a great job.

flyfishingfrog

Well, he was actually off the wagon most of the time at USC. Heck, the dude was drinking in the lockerroom. And then there was the straw that broke the camels back at the Salute to Troy event.
Too bad he was a better coach at USC when he was drinking than we it was under control at Washington

UTs only hope is he really learned how to be the head of the program watching Saban...