• The KillerFrogs

Do you agree with Patterson on Ohio St

HeidelFrog

Saban likes a difficult opponent for the 1st game so his players are ready for the season. I agree with his strategy more than yours.
Saban likes the tough first game because if he wins, he looks great and talks about it all year long. If he loses then he just says, well that was the 1st game and we are a much better team now. Guy also plays schools like Mercer in November.

Horny4TCU

Ohio State is at a reload level... most of the time. They are a step ahead of TCU in recruiting. Coaching, hell no. But if you throw enough talent at a program, you're not going to suck.

TCU is almost at the reload level. We saw the drop off with KH after Boykin/Doctson were gone. I'm not saying we lose both home/homes with a program like Ohio, but just due to recruiting levels it's not a smart gamble.

TooColdU

Saban likes the tough first game because if he wins, he looks great and talks about it all year long. If he loses then he just says, well that was the 1st game and we are a much better team now. Guy also plays schools like Mercer in November.

Plus they love neutral site games because it also prevents them from having a true road test out of conference. The last time they played an actual out of conference road game was Penn State in 2011.

Past/Future OOC matchups for Alabama since then...

2020: USC (Arlington, TX)
2019: Duke (Atlanta, GA)
2018: Louisville (Orlando, FL)
2017: Florida State (Atlanta, GA)
2016: USC (Arlington, TX)
2015: Wisconsin (Arlington, TX)
2014: West Virginia (Atlanta, GA)
2013: Virginia Tech (Atlanta, GA)
2012: Michigan (Arlington, TX)

Interestingly enough, back in 2010 Duke managed to get Alabama to travel to Durham, North Carolina and play in their tiny stadium. Although, I'll admit Duke was terrible back then and it was the BCS era.

Purp

Those teams way under perform but I wouldn’t say they suck...Suckage to me is under .500. The teams you referenced are just very average
Save aTm on that list, I'm pretty sure each of the others has had at least one season under .500 and missed a bowl game in recent years.

Purp

I'd explain it by saying those programs don't have as much talent as their respective fanbases would like to believe, particularly at the all important QB position.
I don't disagree, but the point was about throwing talent (in general) at a program and not sucking. Those programs have had great recruiting for ages and still managed to suck. Irrespective of QB quality, those rosters have been loaded with talent. I think a good QB on those teams would have made them better, but they were still missing something intangible that would have prevented them from being great. Their issues aren't all QB related.

Wexahu

I don't disagree, but the point was about throwing talent (in general) at a program and not sucking. Those programs have had great recruiting for ages and still managed to suck. Irrespective of QB quality, those rosters have been loaded with talent. I think a good QB on those teams would have made them better, but they were still missing something intangible that would have prevented them from being great. Their issues aren't all QB related.

As CountryFrog said, those teams haven't had as much talent as some suggest. I think one year recently Texas had zero players drafted. You don't have a roster loaded with talent and have no one even drafted, that just doesn't happen.

Those teams have definitely underachieved relative to their recruiting, but "suck" is a very relative term. If UT, A&M, or Florida has a season like Iowa State had last year, people would be saying they sucked. But nobody said Iowa State sucked last year. And save for 2016, West Virginia has sucked almost every year but somehow they always get the utmost respect on here. Now Tennessee, what they threw out there the last couple years sucked, I'll agree with that. And Texas has had some moments of definite suckage, but even in those years they had some impressive games.

CountryFrog

Lot of truth in this too.

Horny4TCU

Nick Saban > Charlie Strong

Urban Meyer > Jeremy Pruitt... and every other coach Tennessee has replaced too quickly

Jimbo Fisher > Kevin Sumlin (at least, they hope so)

MAcFroggy

I am not 100% against the strategy. As much as people talk about big non-conference games strengthening your resume, a loss is disastrous to a team's resume.

If Ohio State would have played Ohio instead of Oklahoma last season they would have ended the season 12-1 with a realistic chance of getting in over Alabama

Oklahoma losing to Ohio State in 2015 cost them a chance at the playoff. If they would have played some smaller school instead of tOSU or Houston, they would have been 11-1 with a chance at making the playoff.

Losing non-conference games is so hard to overcome because you have to be perfect the rest of the way during conference games. That is really hard to do. The committee is still doing exactly what the BCS did. They only look at the victories if the losses are the same. Assuming both are P5 teams, If a team has 1 loss and another had 2, then they almost always rank the team with 1 loss ahead of the team with 2 despite the victories or schedule both teams have.

Wexahu

I am not 100% against the strategy. As much as people talk about big non-conference games strengthening your resume, a loss is disastrous to a team's resume.

If Ohio State would have played Ohio instead of Oklahoma last season they would have ended the season 12-1 with a realistic chance of getting in over Alabama

Oklahoma losing to Ohio State in 2015 cost them a chance at the playoff. If they would have played some smaller school instead of tOSU or Houston, they would have been 11-1 with a chance at making the playoff.

Losing non-conference games is so hard to overcome because you have to be perfect the rest of the way during conference games. That is really hard to do. The committee is still doing exactly what the BCS did. They only look at the victories if the losses are the same. Assuming both are P5 teams, If a team has 1 loss and another had 2, then they almost always rank the team with 1 loss ahead of the team with 2 despite the victories or schedule both teams have.

If you play an OSU type game and you finish 12-1 and another team finishes 12-1 without playing that type of game then you definitely would have the upper hand in a team vs team comparison. But I'm not sure that's a reward worth the risk.

One thing about playing Ohio State....if we win the Big 12 and finish 12-1 we'll be in the playoffs, no question about it. If we were to play Purdue instead and go 12-1 and win the Big 12 there'd be about an 80% chance we make the playoffs. Again, probably not worth the risk.