• The KillerFrogs

Do you agree with Patterson on Ohio St

MTfrog5

If they will expand the playoffs to 8 teams giving the champs of the P5 conferences an automatic spot, then you can schedule better OCC without in repercussions from losing one of those games if you win your conference. Right now teams like us get penalized for losing a game.
Exactly. Until this happens he’s not wrong. The loser of the OU-Ohio State games missed out because of that loss. Until the conference champ gets into the playoff coaches won’t want to schedule these type of games.

Dogfrog

I agree with Gary’s thought process, I disagree talking about it publicly.

I have always believed that the Jerryworld game decision was primarily a $5M TCU money grab. Also had the impression that because of the negative fan feedback, GP felt the need to help justify it with these comments. He had to okay it but he didn’t make the decision alone IMO.

PO Frog

I have always believed that the Jerryworld game decision was primarily a $5M TCU money grab. Also had the impression that because of the negative fan feedback, GP felt the need to help justify it with these comments. He had to okay it but he didn’t make the decision alone IMO.
That’s exactly the opposite of what happened. CDC spoke of the $5million to help justify Gary’s decision to opt out of the home and home.

Land Frog

Darn baylor!
Playing them at the end of the year in a bowl game when he has time to prepare is very different than playing at the start with unknowns. I don't disagree with his logic.
Saban likes a difficult opponent for the 1st game so his players are ready for the season. I agree with his strategy more than yours.

Wexahu

Do you realize that in the 5 years of the CFP, Ohio State has missed the playoffs as both a 1-loss team and a conference champion? Looking at it now, isn't it hard to imagine a 1-loss 11-1 team making it in over a 12-1 CCG winner? Heck, there were quite a few people complaining that Alabama made it over OSU last year, and Ohio State was a two-loss team (with one of those losses being terrible).

How long are we going to keep being big whining babies about this? It's a terrible look.

netty2424

Do you realize that in the 5 years of the CFP, Ohio State has missed the playoffs as both a 1-loss team and a conference champion? Looking at it now, isn't it hard to imagine a 1-loss 11-1 team making it in over a 12-1 CCG winner? Heck, there were quite a few people complaining that Alabama made it over OSU last year, and Ohio State was a two-loss team (with one of those losses being terrible).

How long are we going to keep being big whining babies about this? It's a terrible look.
You can't be serious.

Saban likes a difficult opponent for the 1st game so his players are ready for the season. I agree with his strategy more than yours.

Yeah, but he runs a pro team with 5 stars on the bench. It's easier for him to win those games when he has unlimited weapons at his disposal. All he needs is a QB that doesn't make bad decisions.

Dogfrog

That’s exactly the opposite of what happened. CDC spoke of the $5million to help justify Gary’s decision to opt out of the home and home.

Difference between my post and yours is mine included IMO. OTOH your post is stated like you were in the room. I’m guessing you overheard somebody’s speculation and believed it.

PO Frog

Difference between my post and yours is mine included IMO. OTOH your post is stated like you were in the room. I’m guessing you overheard somebody’s speculation and believed it.
I’m not sure how you can take everything that has been said over the last two years since this decision was made and come to the conclusion that Gary wasn’t driving this bus. I can assure you he didn’t take marching orders from CDC or anyone else for that matter. CDC took one for the team when he was getting hammered after the announcement so his coach wouldn’t get accused of backing down. Every statement made by both of them since supports this. Gary wanted no part of a home and home so he got CDC to reach out to Jerry Jones and then TCU contacted OSU to see if they would agree to it. That’s not speculation. If you think CDC was in charge of that decision then you haven’t been following very closely over the years.

Salfrog

Tier 1
I'm not a fan of this. I always liked GP's philosophy of playing anyone, anywhere, anytime back in the day. Now it's more like , well we might play you, but let us get back to you after we think about it. I guess like all things though, you change with the times & landscape.

netty2424

I'm not a fan of this. I always liked GP's philosophy of playing anyone, anywhere, anytime back in the day. Now it's more like , well we might play you, but let us get back to you after we think about it. I guess like all things though, you change with the times & landscape.
Agree 100. Line up the biggest and best, if you win you've strengthened your resume. If you lose, you lose.

Dogfrog

I’m not sure how you can take everything that has been said over the last two years since this decision was made and come to the conclusion that Gary wasn’t driving this bus. I can assure you he didn’t take marching orders from CDC or anyone else for that matter. CDC took one for the team when he was getting hammered after the announcement so his coach wouldn’t get accused of backing down. Every statement made by both of them since supports this. Gary wanted no part of a home and home so he got CDC to reach out to Jerry Jones and then TCU contacted OSU to see if they would agree to it. That’s not speculation. If you think CDC was in charge of that decision then you haven’t been following very closely over the years.

Never said GP took marching orders or gave marching orders. Just saying he didn’t burst in the office one day and demand to cancel the home and home. Gary was TCU head coach and TCU was in its first Big 12 season when the series was originally contracted. Here are CDC comments at the time below. I have no doubt GP was ok with the change. Just believe with the $5M involved CDC and Boschini were very much involved. The article also says the Cowboys approached TCU on this. And congrats, Wexaboo liked your post.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.star...as-christian-university/article147401554.html

CountryFrog

Never said GP took marching orders or gave marching orders. Just saying he didn’t burst in the office one day and demand to cancel the home and home. Gary was TCU head coach and TCU was in its first Big 12 season when the series was originally contracted. Here are CDC comments at the time below. I have no doubt GP was ok with the change. Just believe with the $5M involved CDC and Boschini were very much involved. The article also says the Cowboys approached TCU on this. And congrats, Wexaboo liked your post.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.star...as-christian-university/article147401554.html
Anyone who thinks it was 100% this person or that person's decision is likely wrong. This is a decision that pretty much every person involved had to be ok with including the AD and coach at OSU, tv execs, and Jerry.