• The KillerFrogs

DMN: Why Bob Lilly, the Cowboys' first-ever draft pick, had no clue Dallas selected him in the 1961

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
1524439898-NF_13lilly13AJ.jpg

Why Bob Lilly, the Cowboys' first-ever draft pick, had no clue Dallas selected him in the 1961 NFL draft

By Brendan Meyer , Staff Writer
Contact Brendan Meyeron Twitter:

When the Dallas Cowboys made their first NFL draft selection in franchise history, their newest player was in his TCU dorm, completely unaware.

It was Dec. 27, 1960. Bob Lilly was a 21-year-old consensus All-America and a Texan who dreamed of playing professional football in his home state. But the draft wasn't televised, and he wasn't expecting pick-by-pick updates.

"Because back then," Lilly said, "the draft wasn't a big deal."

Read more at https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/da...t-pick-no-clue-dallas-selected-1961-nfl-draft

ShreveFrog

I wish Mr. Lilly had some sort of permanent tribute at TCU. The indoor facility is named for Sammy. Davey has a statue. (Hopefully LT does, too, someday ???) What about Bob Lilly? He strikes me as a man who was not only a football great, but also someone who carries himself with class.

Heck, I'd like to just see him come out for the coin toss so that Frog fans could at least give him one more big cheer.

I only got to see him play on tv for the Cowboys. Remember him chasing Bob Griese around before pancaking him in the Super Bowl. I think it would be great for TCU fans younger than me to learn about Bob Lilly.

Leap Frog

Bob was recruited to TCU from Oregon with a post card from asst. coach Allie White who had seen him play in Throckmorton.
The Lilly family had moved to Oregon because of a severe drought that was making farming tough in west Texas.
What a bargain that post card was, and I just read an old article where Bob said he couldn't wait to play for the Frogs.

Wexahu

I wish Mr. Lilly had some sort of permanent tribute at TCU. The indoor facility is named for Sammy. Davey has a statue. (Hopefully LT does, too, someday ???) What about Bob Lilly? He strikes me as a man who was not only a football great, but also someone who carries himself with class.

Heck, I'd like to just see him come out for the coin toss so that Frog fans could at least give him one more big cheer.

I only got to see him play on tv for the Cowboys. Remember him chasing Bob Griese around before pancaking him in the Super Bowl. I think it would be great for TCU fans younger than me to learn about Bob Lilly.

For some reason or another he just doesn't seem to have much interest in doing much to promote TCU like some of the other ones have. Makes me think somewhere along the line he had a falling out of sorts.

ShreveFrog

For some reason or another he just doesn't seem to have much interest in doing much to promote TCU like some of the other ones have. Makes me think somewhere along the line he had a falling out of sorts.

I’ve wondered. But nearing 60 years since he left the campus, maybe present day TCU leadership could reach out to him so they could put aside whatever.

Last edited:

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

You saw him play in person once. In the Cotton Bowl. Against the Cardinals. Dandy Don. Bullet Bob.

Wexahu

I’ve wondered. But nearing 69 years since he left the campus, maybe present day TCU leadership could reach out to him so they could put aside whatever.

He is getting up there in age but it hasn’t quite been 69 years since he was at TCU. He’s only 78 years old.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
He has been to several things at TCU. A few years ago he signed a hat and even let me try on his Super Bowl ring (that rattled around on my thumb like it was on a baby’s finger). Super nice and very modest. He said they had nothing like TCU has for a weight roo. Even with the Cowboys. He said he couldn’t imagine what he could have done with a strength and nutrition coach. He was a very fit 265-270 most of the time as it was. Was still a big human being even then.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Abe Martin used to stroll thru old Milton Daniel and once said someone told him about Lilly, saw him in person and just asked if he’d like to play football at TCU. If I recall, he said he was going to go to Texas, but just said ‘yessir’. Just anecdotal, no proof that’s how it went down, but Abe like to tell stories to anyone that’d listen.

ShreveFrog

You saw him play in person once. In the Cotton Bowl. Against the Cardinals. Dandy Don. Bullet Bob.
Yeah, I was too little to remember much. Wish I could. Remember Dad pointing out Craig Morton in warmups. But Staubach played instead,

Last edited:

ShreveFrog

His son went to TCU and graduated. Even played football for the Frogs. Don't think there was any kind of falling out.

Never knew this (or was hit by the Men In Black flashy thingy.) This would've been in the 80's or 90's? (Admittedly, I lost touch with the Frogs through most of the '90's.)

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Never knew this (or was hit by the Men In Black flashy thingy.) This would've been in the 80's or 90's? (Admittedly, I lost touch with the Frogs through most of the '90's.)

He wasn’t exactly a star.

Bob lived or stills lives in New Mexico and seemed to be more interested in his photography than he was about sports. A little like Sam Baugh, was a quiet guy that enjoyed his privacy.

Eight

early 80's, son looked a great deal like him in the face, but not near the size.

wc and some others would know for sure but i don't seem to recall the son playing much if any and i don't think he played all 4 years

might have, don't seem to recall much on than the initial stories when jr. came to campus.

PurpleBlood87

early 80's, son looked a great deal like him in the face, but not near the size.

wc and some others would know for sure but i don't seem to recall the son playing much if any and i don't think he played all 4 years

might have, don't seem to recall much on than the initial stories when jr. came to campus.

Bob Lilly Jr. didn't play much. The point wasn't how much he played. It was that I don't think there is any bad blood between TCU and Bob Lilly.

In fact TCU's FCA Award is named after Bob Lilly.

http://www.gofrogs.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/041618aaa.html

Last edited: