• The KillerFrogs

DMN: Spring ball could make or break how Frogs' offense perform this fall

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
DMN: Growing pains? Spring ball could make or break how Frogs' offense play this season

By Reece Kelley Graham, Staff Writer
Contact Reece Kelley Grahamon Twitter:mad:ReeceKelleyG

With TCU football already back in action for spring workouts, let's take a look at the five key spring issues facing the Horned Frogs as they prepare for the 2018 season.

TCU offensive coordinator Sonny Cumbie is facing some major turnover this offseason, namely at quarterback and on the O-line. The running backs and receivers seem like a safe bet, but there's a changing of the guard under center and a lot of question marks regarding the big uglies.

Talent is not the issue, but the synergy might be. Replacing a quarterback and four O-line starters in the same season is not ideal whatsoever, especially considering sophomore QB Shawn Robinson, Kenny Hill's replacement, is a scrambler by nature -- albeit with a cannon.

Robinson has only started one game in college, which granted, is more than most sophomores at Power-Five programs. However, this should still be considered a training-wheels season for him -- it's OK to have conservative expectations. Hopefully he exceeds them.

Read more at https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/tcuhornedfrogs/2018/03/09/tcu-key-spring-issue-no-1

Eight

does anyone know the record for most cliches used in a three paragraph work?

i also love the "could" included in the title, spring ball may impact next fall or it might not.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
So having a questionable OLine is a bad thing for an offense that will likely start an agile, scrambling QB with a quick trigger cannon for an arm? I wonder what he'd say if Robinson were a pocket passer?

Frog DJ

You could make a case that every spring, at TCU, settles who the starters are. 15 work outs and it is fun.

Just wish we could watch like in the old days.
As a 10-year old boy I lived about a mile away from the TCU practice fields and during Spring and Fall Football I would frequently race home from school and finish my homework so I could jump on my bike and pedal over to watch the Frogs workout.

My mother would always admonish me, "Just be home in time for dinner." I got to meet some of my childhood heroes face-to-face, and I can remember thinking some were really nice to kids (Bob Lilly, Hunter Enis), but some were not (no names).

When I was 12 we moved to Wedgwood, and I could no longer do that, but my course was set. I never wanted to attend any other school, so when I received my acceptance letter from TCU I threw away all the letters from other schools, unopened.

Today, the campus is barely recognizable in comparison to the TCU I attended fifty years ago, but I still love the place and can't get enough of the atmosphere. Memories sweet...

Go Frogs!

jack the frog

I am optimistic for what is being labelled a transition year.

A bona-fide O Line coach combined with greater talent allows us to avoid some of our past year offensive line transition messes I hope, plus I suspect we might have a QB or two that can take off early. Collins might be a hero at some point. His ability to drop in the over the shoulder throw pass is a thing of beauty and something we have not had for a couple of years.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/1745590/Michael-Collins

4th. down

I am optimistic for what is being labelled a transition year.

A bona-fide O Line coach combined with greater talent allows us to avoid some of our past year offensive line transition messes I hope, plus I suspect we might have a QB or two that can take off early. Collins might be a hero at some point. His ability to drop in the over the shoulder throw pass is a thing of beauty and something we have not had for a couple of years.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/1745590/Michael-Collins

If the injury bug doesn't hit us, we surprise in the 12, going at least 9-3 or better. I like the idea of a RS for Rogers.

Snoop1122

I still feel like we can have a good year considering we have a coach that can work with our young offensive linemen that will be getting a lot of playing time/ starting.

Wexahu

Won't come up. Robinson's complexion means nobody would ever label him a pocket passer anyway.

That's kind of ridiculous. I don't think anyone has ever considered Jameis Winston, Teddy Bridgewater or Jamarcus Russell as anything but pocket passers. Robinson isn't considered a pure pocket passer because up to now he never has been one. Sure, he can throw the ball from the pocket, but running has always been a major part of his game.

Zubaz

That's kind of ridiculous. I don't think anyone has ever considered Jameis Winston, Teddy Bridgewater or Jamarcus Russell as anything but pocket passers. Robinson isn't considered a pure pocket passer because up to now he never has been one. Sure, he can throw the ball from the pocket, but running has always been a major part of his game.
34efbe490abd17d1c843a42233c35d77109e4069a942832758ee3b47f318f1d3.jpg

Zubaz

Was supposed to just be lighthearted humor about the penchant for analysts to label every African American QB a "scrambler" or "athlete" whether it's true or not.