• The KillerFrogs

DMN: Here are the new rule changes for this year's NIT, which will affect Texas and TCU

Wexahu

I’m not exactly sure what’s you’re responding to here. I said games ended with scores in the 60s/70s in the Finals. Check Spurs/Pistons ‘05, Lakers/Pistons ‘04. That was supposed to be the best showcase of the The best league on the planet.

And like I said, check the ratings. They were abysmal. The game was in a horrible place a decade or so ago and now all of a sudden we’re nostalgic for it?

The college game was in a great place 30-40 years ago and teams were regularly scoring in the 80's with no 3-point line or shot clock. I'm nostalgic for that. The NBA stunk but that was mainly because college basketball overshadowed it.

Eight

I’m not exactly sure what’s you’re responding to here. I said games ended with scores in the 60s/70s in the Finals. Check Spurs/Pistons ‘05, Lakers/Pistons ‘04. That was supposed to be the best showcase of the The best league on the planet.

And like I said, check the ratings. They were abysmal. The game was in a horrible place a decade or so ago and now all of a sudden we’re nostalgic for it?

Game 1 Sunday, June 6 Los Angeles Lakers 75–87 (0–1) Detroit Pistons
Game 2 Tuesday, June 8 Los Angeles Lakers 99–91 (OT) (1–1) Detroit Pistons
Game 3 Thursday, June 10 Detroit Pistons 88–68 (2–1) Los Angeles Lakers
Game 4 Sunday, June 13 Detroit Pistons 88–80 (3–1) Los Angeles Lakers
Game 5 Tuesday, June 15 Detroit Pistons 100–87 (4–1) Los Angeles Lakers

Game 1 Thursday, June 9 San Antonio Spurs 84–69 (1–0) Detroit Pistons
Game 2 Sunday, June 12 San Antonio Spurs 97–76 (2–0) Detroit Pistons
Game 3 Tuesday, June 14 Detroit Pistons 96–79 (1–2) San Antonio Spurs
Game 4 Thursday, June 16 Detroit Pistons 102–71 (2–2) San Antonio Spurs
Game 5 Sunday, June 19 Detroit Pistons 95–96 (OT) (2–3) San Antonio Spurs
Game 6 Tuesday, June 21 San Antonio Spurs 86–95 (3–3) Detroit Pistons
Game 7 Thursday, June 23 San Antonio Spurs 81–74 (4–3) Detroit Pistons

the pistons grabbed, pushed, choked and did whatever they could to throw and offense off their game. this was also during the heyday of playing defense with one had affixed to the offensive player and steering them around the floor.

bruce bowen was a master of this (hope his nephew takes note how to play physical championship defense) as was gary payton and a number of the pistons.

in regards to ratings look at the two teams in 2005. a small market team in san antonio and one of the ugliest teams concerning style of play in the pistons.

funny thing is the piston weren't close to the best team in the east during the regular season in 2004. that was the pacers who played a much more attractive game, but couldn't beat the pistons in the playoffs in 2004 and the heat couldn't beat them in 2005.

funniest though is we still today see nba refs swallow their whistles in the play-offs and they don't call the game the way it is during the regular season. look at how cleveland was allowed to maul curry when cleveland won their only title.

DickBumpastache

The college game was in a great place 30-40 years ago and teams were regularly scoring in the 80's with no 3-point line or shot clock. I'm nostalgic for that. The NBA stunk but that was mainly because college basketball overshadowed it.

That’s because nobody left for the draft early. Of course the game was better; the players were much more experienced.

And your complaint is that there’s too much defense now? That’s a new one to me.

CountryFrog

I'm with Bumpas. I much prefer the fast paced up tempo with lots of 3s in the NBA. Makes for a more entertaining product imo. The only thing I'd like to see is fewer fouls. I think the constant FT shooting mucks up the game more than anything. I don't know what the solution is, but all of the things that offensive players due to purposefully draw fouls with little to no effort at making an actual basketball play is maddening. Rockets games are unwatchable, not because of the 3 point line, but because James Harden spends half the game dribbling into people to shoot 18 FTs per game. He's not the only NBA player who does it.

There is an unfortunate trickle down to the college and HS level that has players who aren't nearly as skilled as the NBA guys trying to launch a lot of 3s. Everyone thinks they're the next Steph Curry or Kevin Durant at 15 years old.

Eight

hockey got it right when they got rid of the clutching and grabbing on the ice and they call the play-off games the same way they call the regular season.

if i can pick my era of nba basketball it was lakers-celtics in the 80's because you got every facet of the game. set offense with some of the best low post players in the history of the league, fast breaks, outside shooting, and none of this damn isolation [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ]. phil jackson and the bulls with jordan started this crap because in the fourth quarter out went the triangle and in came mj and a 1-4 set.

i agree with you country in that i can not watch harden swing his arms with the ball through the defender to end up shooting free throws when the defender basically did nothing and consequently won't get within 3 feet of him. problem is that doesn't work in the playoffs as they don't call the game the same

Wexahu

I'm with Bumpas. I much prefer the fast paced up tempo with lots of 3s in the NBA. Makes for a more entertaining product imo. The only thing I'd like to see is fewer fouls. I think the constant FT shooting mucks up the game more than anything. I don't know what the solution is, but all of the things that offensive players due to purposefully draw fouls with little to no effort at making an actual basketball play is maddening. Rockets games are unwatchable, not because of the 3 point line, but because James Harden spends half the game dribbling into people to shoot 18 FTs per game. He's not the only NBA player who does it.

There is an unfortunate trickle down to the college and HS level that has players who aren't nearly as skilled as the NBA guys trying to launch a lot of 3s. Everyone thinks they're the next Steph Curry or Kevin Durant at 15 years old.

There'd be a lot less (or none actually) of offense revolving around guys like Harden being isolated on a defender and breaking him down with the dribble if the 3-point line was moved 5 feet further back, or gotten rid of altogether. Driving in the half court wouldn't really be an option because defenders would sag without having to worry about leaving an open 3-point shooter. Teams would have to score via passing, screening and off-the-ball movement. The days of James Harden dribbling at the top of the key with a screener (or no screener) and 3 (or 4) other guys standing still outside the 3-point line would be over because it would no longer be effective offense.

I know it would take some time for the game to adjust but the game has turned ugly IMO because the rules (and specifically the 3-point line) has had unintended consequences.