• The KillerFrogs

DMN: Future of SMU vs. TCU isn’t set in stone as college football landscape changes

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
DMN: Future of SMU vs. TCU isn’t set in stone as college football landscape changes

By Joseph Hoyt

7YLXVZS2XZB45DHKZCKTP7MS5U.jpg

UNIVERSITY PARK – The 101st Battle for the Iron Skillet will take place on Saturday. After that, SMU and TCU will play the next three years in a row.

But what about after that?

If the rest of the country is any indication, the future of the series past 2025 is anything but set in stone.

Read more at https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/s...-stone-as-college-football-landscape-changes/

One Frog Nation

As the future unfolds, I would like to see TCU with more home games - 8 per year not the 6 or 7 we normally get. A lot of the SEC schools have 8 home games, sometimes 7 sometimes even 9. That requires less home and home arrangements which would be the end of the SMU series and so be it.

East Coast

Tier 1
As the future unfolds, I would like to see TCU with more home games - 8 per year not the 6 or 7 we normally get. A lot of the SEC schools have 8 home games, sometimes 7 sometimes even 9. That requires less home and home arrangements which would be the end of the SMU series and so be it.
The SEC plays an 8 game conference schedule. With 4 home conference games, they almost always play 7 or 8 home games, but not 9. If the Big 12 goes to an 8 game schedule with the new additions, we should be able to get where you want.

froginaustin

Kirk Bohls wrote in the Austin American-Statesman, quoting CDC if I remember correctly, that UTx does not anticipate playing football against anyone in the BXII, after moving to the SEC, on a regular basis. Said they might schedule TTech, Baylor, and TCU occasionally, but only at DKR.

I wonder if TCU, and others, will be able to afford one-off games against anyone other than the Northwestern States of the football world, to get to a place where there will be more than 7 games a year at the Carter.

I'd like playing SMU 2 fer 1, or something like that.

Putt4Purple

The arrogance of some of you posters make it sound like we're Alabama and have won the National Championship several times recently. I believe in upgrading our schedule some but 8-9 home games and no FCS is selfish and un-Christian as is our name. Spread the wealth that TCU has earned and been given. SMU has taken some of that prestige that so much of you adore. Let's earn it back!
Go Frogs!

Big Frog II

The arrogance of some of you posters make it sound like we're Alabama and have won the National Championship several times recently. I believe in upgrading our schedule some but 8-9 home games and no FCS is selfish and un-Christian as is our name. Spread the wealth that TCU has earned and been given. SMU has taken some of that prestige that so much of you adore. Let's earn it back!
Go Frogs!
Why is not playing an FCS team not Christian? We pay big bucks for these seats. If you want to help them, send them a donation.

Putt4Purple

Why is not playing an FCS team not Christian? We pay big bucks for these seats. If you want to help them, send them a donation.
Ah. Did you catch what you said? "WE pay big bucks for these seats" Your correct, I pay them too. But the contract between the two schools TCU and "fill in the blank" helps pay there athletic budget for all of their sports for that school year. Have you not given their financial struggles keeping players and coaches in school any thought? It's the BIG picture not just TCU's. Go Frogs!

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I cannot see the benefit of scheduling teams we will beat the living crap out of. It is meaningless to us, and cruel to the team being annihilated on the field. Sure, they go home with a nice paycheck, but as a salty old coach of ours once remarked, "It was like clubbing baby seals."

SMU is fine as an opponent. In Amon Carter. Hell, cut them a check for travel expenses, but traveling to Dallas is for the birds. Otherwise, let them go and play in Gainesville, or Tuscaloosa, or Baton Rouge in week two. Doesn't cost us a thing. They'll heal. Eventually.

To wish to upgrade things isn't arrogance, it's business. There isn't a casual fan out there who gives a parboiled crap about buying tickets and driving an hour to sit in traffic to see Tarleton State have their heads bashed in. Get an opponent with a pulse, someone who we can at least gauge ourselves against. May not be the most compelling matchup of the week, but it beats having, say, Incarnate Word.

Boomhauer

FCS teams are providing a service which we pay for. For lack of a better word, they are lifting their skirt in order to pay the bills. Perhaps we should rethink our support for the prostitution of FCS teams.

Putt4Purple

I cannot see the benefit of scheduling teams we will beat the living crap out of. It is meaningless to us, and cruel to the team being annihilated on the field. Sure, they go home with a nice paycheck, but as a salty old coach of ours once remarked, "It was like clubbing baby seals."

SMU is fine as an opponent. In Amon Carter. Hell, cut them a check for travel expenses, but traveling to Dallas is for the birds. Otherwise, let them go and play in Gainesville, or Tuscaloosa, or Baton Rouge in week two. Doesn't cost us a thing. They'll heal. Eventually.

To wish to upgrade things isn't arrogance, it's business. There isn't a casual fan out there who gives a parboiled crap about buying tickets and driving an hour to sit in traffic to see Tarleton State have their heads bashed in. Get an opponent with a pulse, someone who we can at least gauge ourselves against. May not be the most compelling matchup of the week, but it beats having, say, Incarnate Word.
Was The Carter sold out for any conference BIG game the last several years? Hell no! Spare me the claim that only big time opponents will draw the crowds and appeal to ME! It does not work that way. Who designates which school is big time? We've had quality schools here in recent years. Stop the whining! Go Frogs!

82 Frog Fever

Dear ADJD, drop those awful FCS beatdowns first. Then we can talk about whether to continue the SMU series. Personally, I'd like to play them every 2 to 3 years as part of a rotation of other Texas FBS schools such as Rice and UTSA.
Yes, FBS schools besides SMU like Rice, UTSA, N. Tx, Tx. St., Tulsa, Louisiana, La. Monroe, La. Tech, & Tulane are all good rotating possibilities to schedule for home games. …and they put more eyes on TCU in areas we recruit.

Putt4Purple

Yes, FBS schools besides SMU like Rice, UTSA, N. Tx, Tx. St., Tulsa, Louisiana, La. Monroe, La. Tech, & Tulane are all good rotating possibilities to schedule for home games. …and they put more eyes on TCU in areas we recruit.
If these teams are an alternative I can go with it. Some posters expectations of bringing teams in here when schedules are made 10 years in advance infuriates me. Go Frogs!

froggy

Brog

I get the feeling that Putt4Purple just woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. Christian folk have enough to worry about (in the WOKE world) without being asked to feel guilty about a college football team's scheduling procedures.