• The KillerFrogs

DMN: Dallas Mayor Eric Johnson declares this ‘Iron Skillet’ week before SMU-TCU rivalry game

FrogCop19

We are comparing Smew/tcu to ut/aggy and mich/osu? I think you missed my point. The thing smu/tcu has is history and it was a great rivalry but times have changed immensely. History alone does not mean the rivalry should maintain. Tcu just doesn’t have the angst towards smu that aggy/ut and mich/osu have for each other. There are legitimate reasons for that. We are not on par from a conference standpoint or a commitment standpoint. Mich/osu is a conference rival so I’m not sure why we are comparing those.

Let me put it is this way. The out of town season ticket holder has to pick which games to attend and can only get to 4. With the exception of Kansas he/she is probably picking 4 conference games or a P5 non-con before smew. That is just how it is these days. Call it money ball thinking if you will, but this yearly rendezvous with smew is holding tcu back IMO. And when I see more energy on gameday when we play wva, who isn’t a rival, than smew, who supposedly still is, then I question it.
Fair enough. I get where you're coming from, but I still like to see them as a rival. That game will always have a deep meaning to me, but I get it that it doesn't for everyone.

Mean Purple

I see a lot of similarities between Texas/aggy and TCU/SMU. Aggy has in my college football watching time (mid-60's to present) hated Texas more than Texas has hated them. The last few decades Texas's primary rival has been OU. We really don't have a single rival nowadays...and it has been TCU vs everyone else since I have been watching. Baylor sometimes, Tech sometimes. A few have UT at the top of their list, but they are up there for almost everyone.

aggy is far away the tops on my list, but luckily we don't have their filthy Corps fouling our campus every two years. To me that would be by far the worst thing about joining the SEC. Nobody I would root against when they play aggy...unless it helps TCU. And it would have to be huge, like aggy must win to get TCU into the CFP.

But...TCU-SMU has always been huge, until the Death Penalty devastated SMU's athletics. They kept us out of the Rose Bowl. The SMU game was really a big deal when I was a student. Then when they cheated their way to the top of the football world, they were very, very arrogant about it. In the early 70's in baseball, a TCU player was right at a new NCAA record for home runs; SMU intentionally walked him at every bat during a double header, once he was one HR behind...this was a really bad SMU team in their tiny homerun-easy field.

There was really bad blood. But we Frogs have lost it through the years. Too many conferences, too many foes. But the Ponies have kept it. I have never seen teams as fired up as the Ponies against the Frogs in ACS.
I remember as a student attending my first one in person. Had been to TCU games, but not against the [ "illegitimate Baylor boys" ] in Dallas. They show up with a band dressed like Mr. Peppermint and some herald trumpets. Arrogant pricks.

Limp Lizard

At least neither the Ponies or the Frogs or the Longhorns have a specific team in their fight song, ala the aggy ("goodbye to texas university").:cool:

Yes I know Texas should be capitalized but aggy doesn't when referring to The University of Texas. Calling them texas univeristy or tu is somehow a clever put-down to them. Don't see it.

Anyway, beat usm!....naw that's just lame.:oops:

Beat SMU!

Latest posts