• The KillerFrogs

DMN: Dallas Mayor Eric Johnson declares this ‘Iron Skillet’ week before SMU-TCU rivalry game

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Dallas Mayor Eric Johnson declares this ‘Iron Skillet’ week before SMU-TCU rivalry game

Joseph Hoyt, The Dallas Morning News

Dallas Mayor Eric Johnson announced on Monday the next six days, Sept. 20-25, will officially be known as Iron Skillet week in an effort to support the Mustangs in their rivalry game against cross-Metroplex rival TCU.

This Saturday’s game will be the 100th meeting between TCU and SMU. The centennial game was supposed to happen last year, but the game was canceled due to COVID-19. Kickoff at TCU is scheduled for 11 a.m. and will be televised on FS1.

The rivalry game dates back to 1915. TCU has won 51 of the games, SMU has won 41, and there’s been seven ties between the two teams. SMU won the last meeting with a 41-38 win in 2019.

Read more at https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...9-week-before-smu-tcu-rivalry-game/ar-AAOEkVl

FrogCop19

Some people on here sound disturbingly like the whorns on surly. They don't consider anyone a rival except for OU and Arky. Some of them barely allow that A&M might be a rival. In their supreme arrogance, they even us view us, a team that has beaten the dogpiss out of them for the last decade, as a flash in the pan and beneath their notice.

We have played smew 99 times, and we have a scant 10-game lead on them. Recently we have owned them (save for the last game), but any school that we play that frequently will breed hatred. Make no mistake, I've worked there and the hate is strong. Smew will arrive with hatred in their souls come this Saturday, and if we don't match that intensity, we will lose.

Now just because some of you don't feel that way (mainly because you think we're better than them) doesn't mean it's not a rivalry. Most of us WANT to beat schools like OU or tOSU or 'Bama, but when we lose, we throw our hands up and shrug. It sucks, and we say things like, "Riley has our number, we just can't beat him!" or "The bagman/SEC/ESPN is why 'Bama is always #1!"

We NEED to beat the ponies. When we lost to SMU, there was wailing and gnashing of teeth and screams of frustration about "how can we lose to such a sub-par team?"

Smew is someone that we HATE to lose to. To me, that is the definition of a rivalry.

Eight

Some people on here sound disturbingly like the whorns on surly. They don't consider anyone a rival except for OU and Arky. Some of them barely allow that A&M might be a rival. In their supreme arrogance, they even us view us, a team that has beaten the dogpiss out of them for the last decade, as a flash in the pan and beneath their notice.

We have played smew 99 times, and we have a scant 10-game lead on them. Recently we have owned them (save for the last game), but any school that we play that frequently will breed hatred. Make no mistake, I've worked there and the hate is strong. Smew will arrive with hatred in their souls come this Saturday, and if we don't match that intensity, we will lose.

Now just because some of you don't feel that way (mainly because you think we're better than them) doesn't mean it's not a rivalry. Most of us WANT to beat schools like OU or tOSU or 'Bama, but when we lose, we throw our hands up and shrug. It sucks, and we say things like, "Riley has our number, we just can't beat him!" or "The bagman/SEC/ESPN is why 'Bama is always #1!"

We NEED to beat the ponies. When we lost to SMU, there was wailing and gnashing of teeth and screams of frustration about "how can we lose to such a sub-par team?"

Smew is someone that we HATE to lose to. To me, that is the definition of a rivalry.

don't forget who the smu offensive co-ordinator is and i am sure there has been some discussion on gary's defense

HFrog12

Definition of an old rival*. Do you consider LSU vs. Tulane rivals? How about OkSt. and Tulsa? Just because you have a lot of history doesn't make it a current rivalry. To your very point, we NEED to beat the ponies because they are a sub-par team, not because it helps us in recruiting or pumps our strength of schedule. It does however benefit them in both of those ways.

There is no reason to lose to them which is why it's not really a current rivalry. I am more excited to play every big 12 school on our schedule not named Kansas more than smew. Everyone needs to stop pretending this game is beneficial to TCU and grow up to the P5 school we aspire to be. I want to crush the every living snot out of SMU because they are annoying and that is what we are supposed to do. The hate is strong on the smew side no doubt. Not the same from the TCU side. The apathy shows in the attendance and the slow start from the players.

FrogCop19

Definition of an old rival*. Do you consider LSU vs. Tulane rivals? How about OkSt. and Tulsa? Just because you have a lot of history doesn't make it a current rivalry. To your very point, we NEED to beat the ponies because they are a sub-par team, not because it helps us in recruiting or pumps our strength of schedule. It does however benefit them in both of those ways.

There is no reason to lose to them which is why it's not really a current rivalry. I am more excited to play every big 12 school on our schedule not named Kansas more than smew. Everyone needs to stop pretending this game is beneficial to TCU and grow up to the P5 school we aspire to be. I want to crush the every living snot out of SMU because they are annoying and that is what we are supposed to do. The hate is strong on the smew side no doubt. Not the same from the TCU side. The apathy shows in the attendance and the slow start from the players.

To your point, would you consider ut and aggy rivals? They haven't played each other in a decade, but do you actually doubt their first SEC matchup will be the site of College Gameday? They hate each other, no matter how much the whorns try to downplay it. Hell, aggy tried to fight ut getting into the SEC. Call it money, greed, or recruiting, but notice not a single other school wanted to fight Texas getting in.

What about Michigan and Ohio State? Michigan has won twice in the last twenty years. Do you hear tOSU fans saying, "It's not even a rivalry, it's just a game we play."

Out of curiosity, and this is by no means a pissing contest, but when did you attend TCU? You may have been around longer than me, but back in the early 90's when I was in the band, SMU was still a very heated rival. That's the root of my distaste for them, but I also find the idea of history important. That's also one of the many reasons I can't stand baylor: we've played them even more than we have smew, and the record is even closer (56-53-7 with bu, 51-41-7 with smew).

***Edited to say you seem to be approaching it from a moneyball perspective, "how can this help recruiting or strength of schedule?" I approach it from an emotional place. I want to beat them because I can't stand them, not because it will help my bottom line.

Whether or not people want to admit it, TCU vs. smew is a rivalry.

Limp Lizard

I see a lot of similarities between Texas/aggy and TCU/SMU. Aggy has in my college football watching time (mid-60's to present) hated Texas more than Texas has hated them. The last few decades Texas's primary rival has been OU. We really don't have a single rival nowadays...and it has been TCU vs everyone else since I have been watching. Baylor sometimes, Tech sometimes. A few have UT at the top of their list, but they are up there for almost everyone.

aggy is far away the tops on my list, but luckily we don't have their filthy Corps fouling our campus every two years. To me that would be by far the worst thing about joining the SEC. Nobody I would root against when they play aggy...unless it helps TCU. And it would have to be huge, like aggy must win to get TCU into the CFP.

But...TCU-SMU has always been huge, until the Death Penalty devastated SMU's athletics. They kept us out of the Rose Bowl. The SMU game was really a big deal when I was a student. Then when they cheated their way to the top of the football world, they were very, very arrogant about it. In the early 70's in baseball, a TCU player was right at a new NCAA record for home runs; SMU intentionally walked him at every bat during a double header, once he was one HR behind...this was a really bad SMU team in their tiny homerun-easy field.

There was really bad blood. But we Frogs have lost it through the years. Too many conferences, too many foes. But the Ponies have kept it. I have never seen teams as fired up as the Ponies against the Frogs in ACS.

Virginia Frog

But...TCU-SMU has always been huge, until the Death Penalty devastated SMU's athletics. They kept us out of the Rose Bowl. The SMU game was really a big deal when I was a student. Then when they cheated their way to the top of the football world, they were very, very arrogant about it.
Ya know the SMU cheating in the '80s, in a strange way, gave me hope that TCU and other privates, save ND, Miami and USC, could compete successfully in the major College Football World.

They cheated - bad on them - but we survived until we got Fran/then/Gary who were able to "turn it around."

I'd like to see the Rivalry with those SMUers continue and maybe intensify. It's good for us folks IMO!

Seems to me that those who don’t believe it’s a rivalry are missing out. Enjoy it as such. Frogs lost last time—do we have to make it two in a row to feel rivalry. Mustangs bring the intensity, they want it, and TCU can enjoy squashing that, beating up on that crosstown rival, that’s fun. Losing really stings. Isn’t that enough. TCU vs SMU. Private “Christian” schools. Fort Worth vs Dallas. SWC. DFW metro. Recruiting. Texas bragging rights. History. The spirit of those that came before us. 100 year tradition. Iron Skillet. Goodness. It is a big game

Last edited:

HFrog12

To your point, would you consider ut and aggy rivals? They haven't played each other in a decade, but do you actually doubt their first SEC matchup will be the site of College Gameday? They hate each other, no matter how much the whorns try to downplay it. Hell, aggy tried to fight ut getting into the SEC. Call it money, greed, or recruiting, but notice not a single other school wanted to fight Texas getting in.

What about Michigan and Ohio State? Michigan has won twice in the last twenty years. Do you hear tOSU fans saying, "It's not even a rivalry, it's just a game we play."

Out of curiosity, and this is by no means a pissing contest, but when did you attend TCU? You may have been around longer than me, but back in the early 90's when I was in the band, SMU was still a very heated rival. That's the root of my distaste for them, but I also find the idea of history important. That's also one of the many reasons I can't stand baylor: we've played them even more than we have smew, and the record is even closer (56-53-7 with bu, 51-41-7 with smew).

***Edited to say you seem to be approaching it from a moneyball perspective, "how can this help recruiting or strength of schedule?" I approach it from an emotional place. I want to beat them because I can't stand them, not because it will help my bottom line.

Whether or not people want to admit it, TCU vs. smew is a rivalry.

We are comparing Smew/tcu to ut/aggy and mich/osu? I think you missed my point. The thing smu/tcu has is history and it was a great rivalry but times have changed immensely. History alone does not mean the rivalry should maintain. Tcu just doesn’t have the angst towards smu that aggy/ut and mich/osu have for each other. There are legitimate reasons for that. We are not on par from a conference standpoint or a commitment standpoint. Mich/osu is a conference rival so I’m not sure why we are comparing those.

Let me put it is this way. The out of town season ticket holder has to pick which games to attend and can only get to 4. With the exception of Kansas he/she is probably picking 4 conference games or a P5 non-con before smew. That is just how it is these days. Call it money ball thinking if you will, but this yearly rendezvous with smew is holding tcu back IMO. And when I see more energy on gameday when we play wva, who isn’t a rival, than smew, who supposedly still is, then I question it.

Obvious Troll

There’s been a lot of stuff written on the internet about Craig James killing the five hookers at SMU. I feel like I know what’s going on, but I haven’t seen, interestingly enough, anywhere a categorical denial that Craig James didn’t kill five hookers at SMU.

It would be good to get some resolution on this topic, once and for all.

HFrog12

We are comparing Smew/tcu to ut/aggy and mich/osu? I think you missed my point. The thing smu/tcu has is history and it was a great rivalry but times have changed immensely. History alone does not mean the rivalry should maintain. Tcu just doesn’t have the angst towards smu that aggy/ut and mich/osu have for each other. There are legitimate reasons for that. We are not on par from a conference standpoint or a commitment standpoint. Mich/osu is a conference rival so I’m not sure why we are comparing those.

Let me put it is this way. The out of town season ticket holder has to pick which games to attend and can only get to 4. With the exception of Kansas he/she is probably picking 4 conference games or a P5 non-con before smew. That is just how it is these days. Call it money ball thinking if you will, but this yearly rendezvous with smew is holding tcu back IMO. And when I see more energy on gameday when we play wva, who isn’t a rival, than smew, who supposedly still is, then I question it.

Edit: To be clear, I enjoy beating smu and want to stomp them everytime. But I feel this way toward every opponent, some more than others. When I get into the stadium the hate will come out.

Eight

There’s been a lot of stuff written on the internet about Craig James killing the five hookers at SMU. I feel like I know what’s going on, but I haven’t seen, interestingly enough, anywhere a categorical denial that Craig James didn’t kill five hookers at SMU.

It would be good to get some resolution on this topic, once and for all.

hopefully barry will write a letter about it