• The KillerFrogs

DMN: 5 things TCU fans need to know about SMU: It's been a long time since SMU started off this hot

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
DMN: 5 things TCU fans need to know about SMU: It's been a long time since SMU started off this hot

By Dean Straka

Gary Patterson and TCU look to make it eight in a row vs. cross-metroplex rival SMU on Saturday when the Horned Frogs host the Mustangs at Amon G. Carter Stadium in Fort Worth.

While it's nothing new for the series to be tilted in TCU's favor -- the Horned Frogs have won all but two meetings dating back to the 1999 season -- this year's matchup does have a little bit extra at stake. Both teams enter the matchup undefeated for only the second time in the past 30 years, the other instance occurring two years ago in 2017.

That said, here are five things you need to know about this year’s SMU squad before the Frogs and Mustangs kick off the latest installment of the Battle for the Iron Skillet.

Read more athttps://www.dallasnews.com/sports/tcu-horned-frogs/2019/09/18/5-things-tcu-fans-need-to-know-about-smu-it-s-been-a-long-time-since-mustangs-started-off-this-hot/

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Let's be honest, SMU usually starts with Tech, Baylor, or A&M.

This is the 1st time in a long time that they didnt play 1 or more P5 teams in the 1st 3 games.

Weaker starting schedule = better start.
You can’t use logic and facts. You are just supposed to overreact and tremble at their very greatness.

GP's Step-Son

Let's be honest, SMU usually starts with Tech, Baylor, or A&M.

This is the 1st time in a long time that they didnt play 1 or more P5 teams in the 1st 3 games.

Weaker starting schedule = better start.

Totally agree on the schedule front, but I think it’s a combination of that and SMU being much improved. The transfer portal benefited them on both sides of the ball. They have a balanced offensive attack, I bet they end up winning 9ish games.

frogs9497

I wonder what the score was for the 2019 preseason reception.

DmMWJ5YUwAATDPg.jpg

Billy Clyde

Dammit I came here trying to do "In before Steel." Fail.

I like that there are so many fawning articles about smoo's awesomeness. I want to see our lads hyped for this game.

Froginbedford

When did smu begin to be called hilltop? Is this some marketing ploy ?

The band announcer at SMU was introducing the halftime show with "From high on the hilltop..." as early as the 1960s that I can recall....Prolly when the campus was built, it was a more prominent rise compared to the development to the south....And there is that street and high school named Hillcrest....

ThisIsOurTime

TCU needs to be ready to play. This is a rivalry game for SMU and they do have a better than average team. Plus, we still don't know what type of team we will have. In addition, this is a big game for TCU to workout the kinks before conference play. We need to show we are growing as a football club every week if we are to challenge teams like OU later in the season.