• The KillerFrogs

DKR Expansion

bcsbuster

Haven't posted in a very long time. My pop up had a picture of plus size bra's. Not the point of my post but funny. Why do we have a thread about UT's stadium. If it was OU, OSU, KU, KSU, etc would we care. UT being bad in football doesn't make us a better football team. Move on and talk bad about the A&M aggies. That I like.

Purp

Haven't posted in a very long time. My pop up had a picture of plus size bra's. Not the point of my post but funny. Why do we have a thread about UT's stadium. If it was OU, OSU, KU, KSU, etc would we care. UT being bad in football doesn't make us a better football team. Move on and talk bad about the A&M aggies. That I like.
It's relevant bc CDC is now there making it all happen and bc they're a conference for spending more on an end zone expansion than we did on our entire stadium reno.

Also, pretty sure we've have a thread here about the Kansas stadium project.

pgdfrog

When UTx's south end zone expansion was last on the front burner, at least for public discussion during the waning years of DeLoss Dodds, one of the expensive problems they faced is the fact that some very expensive basketball practice facilities are right on the footprint of where a south end zone expansion would go, facilities named for (and mostly paid for by) Dr. Denton Cooley. The basketball stuff was built during the Rick Barnes years, so it it only roughly 10 or 15 years old, and cost like $40 (IRRC) to build.

I wonder if the $175 includes a tear-down of the basketball facilities and a rebuild somewhere else. If so, the $175 is less surprising.

The Cooley Pavilion is adjacent to the Erwin Center and it will be interesting to see what happens to it one it moves.

Moncrief-Neuhaus is the football facility that would come down with the expansion. It contains the locker rooms, weight room, coaches offices, etc., and at one time had a cool 50 yard AstroTurf field on the roof!

froginaustin

^^^ I stand corrected.

Nevertheless, an athletic facility that cost a bunch and was funded by supporters, and is relatively new, will have to go away to build their new south end zone.

I'm guessing. Maybe I'm wrong again, and they are just building around the existing facility.