1. The KillerFrogs

Disappointed in TCU

Discussion in 'Killingsworth Court, Formerly The General Forum' started by smufrogger, Mar 17, 2018.

1. His choices is now ut or a&m. Ut is a top ten b school, aggie is top 20-25. Tcu is around 60th.

It’s not like he scored less or ranked less than their average admittance - so I’m curious as to the wait list.
    In reading through their faq- it can be based on a need for geographical diversity, etc.

For Dillo - thanks captain obvious for pointing out its a free country

2. I am not going to call. It just narrows his choices by putting him as a waitlist.
    Tcu will be calling me though- they do every year. I’ll let them know my story during that call. My sons choices are now between two academically better schools- and far cheaper schools.
    As an alum this is disheartening but honestly also a relief given the cost. And to whomever said they don’t look to consider legacies? That’s wrong but clearly not a first consideration factor.
    Who knows- like was suggested- maybe his passion for purple won’t diminish and he’ll transfer in later

Salfrog likes this.
  3. I agree. Make an appointment with someone in admissions. Put your best foot forward. Tell your story and ask them to map out a way for you to get into TCU. This doesn’t guarantee success but you know have a plan and are no longer a name on a piece of paper. Someone in admissions now knows who you are.

I did this over 3 decades ago when looking to attend TCU. I wore slacks and sport coat to my appointment.

Salfrog and Armadillo like this.
  4. What was his ACT and SAT scores?

5. #25 flyfishingfrog, Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    Did you reach out to the admissions department directly during or even now to talk to them about his situation?

Did they know he was a legacy or correlate your level of giving because you told them or did you assume they would figure it out on their own?

There is some geographical consideration involved like every school - but legacy and family support also plays a role however the admissions dept is not going to dig for that info - you need to provide it to them as part of your admissions story

As I stated in another thread that went off the rails - TCU is the second most selective university in the state now behind only Rice and comparing the type of academic education environment and approach of Rice, SMU, TCU where the student to teacher ratios are below 15:1 to UT and Aggy where the avg 100-level class has 200+ is comparing apples to oranges

Look at USNWR ratings vs endowment level and you will realize that just like in sports - no one does less with more than those two schools and their business school rankings are based on their graduate programs 10x more than undergrad

Plus getting into any school today doesn’t mean you will get into the business school so check that out also if it’s the goal - lots of Econ majors that wanted to be finance or accounting and didn’t get accepted to b school

Horned Toad and Salfrog like this.
  6. This ↑

stadiumfrog likes this.
  7. TCU awards two types of scholarships: need-based and merit-based. Merit awards are based on academic performance and represent a much smaller pool of money. Access to them is so competitive that many very good students fail to qualify. Being in the top 4% of your HS class is impressive, but what constitutes academic rigor at one school may not be very rigorous at another. At many schools, it's possible to rank in the top 4% by taking a lot of really easy elective courses. So it's often an apples-to-oranges comparison.

The Admission office tries to equalize that by cataloging high schools by rigor of required core subjects only (not electives), by percentage of college-bound graduates, and by other measures that give them a better picture of the comparative academics among schools. That's why top 4% of your class is not an end-all qualification. Top 4% at one school may be only top 20% at another.

The fact that your son is wait-listed suggests he's qualified, but the Admission office is still immersed in its annual juggling act of filling the new freshman class with the best possible candidates without over-filling the class. It's a difficult guessing game, and there's as much art as science to it. If its any consolation, most applicants who are wait-listed are eventually admitted.

Need-based scholarships are awarded based on a formula established by Congress for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). TCU neither scores these applications nor determines how the formula is applied. The FAFSA is filed not with TCU, but with the Federal Student Aid office of the US Department of Education.

The feds send a Student Aid Report (SAR) to both the applicant and TCU. It summarizes your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The difference between your EFC and TCU's Cost of Attendance (COA) is theoretically your amount of financial need. No offer of aid could result from: 1) the feds determining that your income level supports an EFC that precludes financial need, or 2) your need was so small that TCU felt it wasn't a make-or-break factor, and they determined the aid was better awarded to students for whom it could make a critical difference.

Having said that, the process certainly isn't infallible. You should schedule an appointment with a TCU financial aid counselor and present any information you have showing that the FAFSA doesn't represent a true picture of your EFC. I've seen many cases where TCU overruled the FAFSA due to special circumstances that may have made the financial information outdated -- things like like job loss, family illness, serious financial reversal, etc.

TCU is proud of its legacy families and grateful for their financial support, but neither of those is a factor in qualifying for admission.

8. Definitely an academically strong private school is worth the money if you are looking for a good education and admittance into a private college. If you want to get into a state school like UT, public is the better route. Most college counselors (in my experience) will tell you this.

Chico Dusty likes this.
  9. Sorry to hear, but on the bright side, A&M is a great safety school.

10. TCU looks at applications holistically. You’ve offered one data point (class rank), so no one can really evaluate for you and give you what you want—which I assume is an affirmation of TCU’s wrongness. 4 of how many? What type of school? How many in his class? What type of classes (AP or IB, if so how did he do on those exams)? Involved in extra-curriculars (sports, arts, other—and if so did he stay committed to those or show leadership)? Good teacher recs? Good essay/personal statement (sometimes kids take admission for granted and get sloppy)? Test scores? Did he apply early or at the last minute? Was the application complete and timely? My point is there’s a lot to an application and you’re [ steaming pile of Orgeron ]ting all over the school and looking for affirmation without really giving us a picture of what’s going on. Not that we’re entitled to it — perhaps you’re just venting and using this outlet to work through the frustration. More power to you.

All that said, I’m sorry for your son and your family. It sucks at 18 to not get what you want in the college admission game, and my kids are young but I know it sucks even more to see your kids not get what they want and worked hard to try and achieve. If he really wants to go to TCU, it’s absolutely worth reaching out to admissions to make his case and express his desire. They accept off the waitlist every year and typically need to balance the class with more male students.

If it doesn’t work out it sounds like he has other great options. We all love TCU, but you can have just as great of an experience at plenty of schools. Good luck!

11. Will the University's well-intentioned efforts to diversify internationally serve as a deterrent to the

admission of our domestic students? Incoming classes are limited in the number that can be accepted.

12. frog, do you think there is even the slightest, most miniscule chance that they are from $$$ families? just a little, bitty chance?

cheese83 likes this.
  13. If you live in Texas, you probably know the answer for the wait list.

14. Last I recall, TCU had passed A&M’s business school in the rankings. We were around 30th.

Can someone fact-check us on that?

tcumaniac and Punter1 like this.
  15. Undergraduate program ranking varies by publication.

About Neeley- Rankings

[​IMG]

Ron Swanson likes this.
  16. Good advice. For the record, it is easier to transfer into TCU than to be admitted in the first place. The reason is because transfers already have a college-level academic record and they are more mature. That makes them a safer bet as serious students who intend to graduate -- not play around and flunk out.

I've seen plenty of brilliant kids from to top-level high schools and with excellent SAT/ACT scores fail at TCU because they were too immature or party-minded to take their education seriously.

SparkleFrog likes this.
  17. My family has fairly deep TCU roots and I’m not afraid to use that to try and get what I need out of the University. We had a nephew who scored very well on ACT/SAT but had only a good (not great) GPA. He ended up on the waitlist. Some calls were made and he ended up not only being admitted but receiving a merit based scholarship.

Had a niece apply that I figured there was no way she was getting in based on GPA and test scores. She was accepted. Only thing that could have made a difference outside of legacies would be some fairly unique missionary work in Africa and working with special needs children throughout high school.

The admissions process doesn’t seem to be completely consistent but that could be due to wanting a diverse class each year. If you want your kid at TCU I would call or go visit with someone as others have advised. It can’t hurt.

Good luck to your son. Hopefully he ends up a Frog. And if not please don’t let him go full Aggy. Never go full Aggy.

18. I would only add to this that if you try and it doesn’t work out, it is ok to not get what you desired. Plus it is very important that the disappointment is quickly turned into pride in the school that DOES accept you - in order to maximize success there. If the whole family stays bummed and bitter about it, not good.

Boomhauer likes this.
  19. LoL at your sense of entitlement that just because you are a loyal Frog that goes to football games and gives money that your son should be admitted.

20. Like Dirtbag says, class rank is only one criteria for admission. Another way to get admitted is to commit to enroll if offered. If he really wanted to go to TCU, did you use "Early Decision" or did you keep your options open? Helped both of my kids in the process. Most alums whose kids want TCU as their #1 take this route.

Early Decision
    If you wish to be reviewed early for a binding decision based on transcripts through your junior year, you must have your application postmarked by November 1. You must take the SAT or ACT no later than November. You, your counselor, and your parent must sign this document demonstrating an understanding that an admission decision to TCU is contractually binding. Binding notification by January 1. Admitted students must pay their deposit by January 15.

DeFrog likes this.