• The KillerFrogs

Diehards: 2014 TCU team among all-time most underrated in preseason AP poll history

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
258968_GettyImages-460935348_xbtarf.jpg

Diehards: 2014 TCU team among all-time most underrated in preseason AP poll history

By Dean Straka - Diehards

TCU football showcased one of its most talented teams in program history during the 2014 season.

The Horned Frogs remained in the national title picture right up until the final weekend of the regular season, when they were controversially left out of the inaugural college football playoff despite a 11-1 finish. It remains up for debate what would have happened if TCU was given its shot to win it all.

What’s not up for debate, however, is that hardly anyone expected the Horned Frogs to make any noise that fall entering Week 1 — not after Gary Patterson and co. posted a 4-8 mark in 2013.

As noted by SB Nation’s Jason Kirk, the Horned Frogs’ swing from being unranked in the preseason AP poll (35th in votes) to a ranking of No. 3 in the final poll of the season following the playoff was the greatest start-to-end jump of any team in 2014.

Read more at https://www.diehards.com/tcu/tcu-2014-team-all-time-most-underrated-ap-poll-preseason

FrogCop19

Chanting SEC, SEC in Atlanta was a lot of fun especially when the [ the old ricardo ]y Ole Miss drunks in their red and blue bow ties tried to sneak out of the TCU section when things started to snow ball...

Which was what, about :45 into the first quarter?

Edited to say I checked the box score, and it was actually :23 into the 1st quarter when we intercepted that pass, and one minute till the pass from that poor, injured Kolby Listenbee was run in for a touchdown.

Last edited:

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
That's up there with 2009/2010 Utah, 2008 BYU, and 2010 Baylor.

Close wins are fun in retrospect, but when there's a hyped up matchup that you end up just beating the pants off a team, man that's a fun atmosphere.

Those were all great wins against minor league squads during the triple A era and one major league pretender...

FrogCop19

The S-E-C chant was after they kicked a field goal late in the 4th quarter.
sorry, I was referring to the whole when there tide started turning

Edited to say wow, this post was just a fail from the get go. I *meant* to comment on the "people in Ol' Miss-colored bowties leaving before the snowball started rolling" bit. The train left the station in that game on pretty much the first series.

Last edited:

MTfrog5

That's up there with 2009/2010 Utah, 2008 BYU, and 2010 Baylor.

Close wins are fun in retrospect, but when there's a hyped up matchup that you end up just beating the pants off a team, man that's a fun atmosphere.
Utah 2009 is close but being at home compared to basically a road game in SEC territory. I didn’t go to Utah in 2010 but I bet that was a blast as well. Baylor 2010 was too damn hot, but scoring a TD on every possession in the first half was fun

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Chanting SEC, SEC in Atlanta was a lot of fun especially when the [ the old ricardo ]y Ole Miss drunks in their red and blue bow ties tried to sneak out of the TCU section when things started to snow ball...

Really? Words within words are banned? You can’t be cocky on KFC, just arrogant.