• The KillerFrogs

Did we hear anything about how Rogers, Delton, and Duggan did in the spring?

Eight

I already know the entire 2 deep for game 1 next year. So many of you are so wrong about everything you're saying but there are others who are spot on.

I also have the health percentage of every player on the roster. Rogers is currently at 89.3% but really needs to be at least 93.6% or higher to be the starter. Can he get there? Who knows, but he's jumping over boxes every day to see where he's at. Big Ross is currently 86.6% but that's a big improvement from the 63.9% that he was sitting on going into spring. Reagor is actually at 110% which may seem impossible to some skeptics, but if you can give 110% effort then why can't you be 110% healthy?

you almost got it right. forget to insert a hyperlink to where we can pay 9.99 for the details

4th. down

Maybe he misspoke. I catch most everything over there and haven't seen that once.

If I remember correctly it was on the podcast, and yes, I was very surprised to hear him say that. These are not really his sole thoughts but where he gets his info. from.

netty2424

Last year we were sold a narrative that it was a close race the whole way between SR/MC and it turned out to be race to 4th down between two mostly mediocre QBs. ...If we have 4Qbs I’m just praying we can find 1 who can consistently lead some scoring drives. The reality is the Offensive cupboard is going to be pretty damn bare of experience in 2020 and if possible I’d like to have a QB who has some experience going into that season.
Yah I’m pretty much to the point where I don’t believe much of anything that comes out of camp. Not in any way knocking JC or any other writers, as they are delivering info given to them.

We have to keep in mind that even guys like JC who by all accounts is a stand up, trusted guy that has spent years building his sources of information, but they actually rarely get to attend practices to see for themselves what’s going on.

McFroggin

Easy summary for y’all:

Delton is the starter, at least initially. He was told that he would be given a shot to lead the team. He has experience. Unless injured, he is our starter game 1. It’s a virtual guarantee.

Collins is progressing as expected after injury. His injury is not known to cause lingering effects. He will rehab hard and be ready.

Rogers is still injured. I know y’all want to believe otherwise. He is a great talent. If he ever fully recovers, he could have a shot at the league. Staff aren’t going to rush him and risk this. Will he be ready by October? Still to be seen, but he isn’t starting game 1.

Duggan is a redshirt. He has excellent raw skill, but he isn’t ready. Does he come a long way between now and August, unlikely. Without being plagued by injury, he will redshirt, and we want this for our future.

4th. down

Easy summary for y’all:

Delton is the starter, at least initially. He was told that he would be given a shot to lead the team. He has experience. Unless injured, he is our starter game 1. It’s a virtual guarantee.

Collins is progressing as expected after injury. His injury is not known to cause lingering effects. He will rehab hard and be ready.

Rogers is still injured. I know y’all want to believe otherwise. He is a great talent. If he ever fully recovers, he could have a shot at the league. Staff aren’t going to rush him and risk this. Will he be ready by October? Still to be seen, but he isn’t starting game 1.

Duggan is a redshirt. He has excellent raw skill, but he isn’t ready. Does he come a long way between now and August, unlikely. Without being plagued by injury, he will redshirt, and we want this for our future.

MCfrog - I believe your analysis is the final realistic conclusion leading up to the 1st. game barring any injuries during fall practice.

With Delton starting, believe the run game gets first call on the plays. We should move the chains but long downfield verticals do not think will be there or even really 15 yd. slants across the middle. When we reach the OU, Texas, and OSU games, we need to score a lot of points and don't think the Delton offense can do that. This must come from Collins or Rogers who can get the ball downfield on target. The Purdue game will be Delton's big test, which will be on the road, against a quality team.

Here is what Alex is good at:

https://www.foxsports.com/southwest/video/1367169603693

Last edited:

ShreveFrog

I believe @McFroggin 's summary is right to this point. But let's see what happens in fall camp when Collins and Rogers are more like 100%. Coaches will have a big decision to make and hopefully all qb's get a fair shot.

I still think we'll have a 2-headed monster. Starter will be the better passer/leader; Delton comes in for a change of pace running attack with lots of option and play action throws. Make the oppo prepare for both.

texas_sicilian

I think this is the first year since I've been watching TCU football where having a guy like Delton starting makes sense. Our OL is experienced, we have an entire stable of strong running backs and we have a legit Bilietnikoff(sp) type guy to stretch the field deep. And should have the defense to control the game. Any other year and I don't think he makes much sense, but I could see it working this year.

That said, personally, I'm rooting for JR or MD.
What worries me about Delton, is his ability to consistently make good reads and be a deep threat.

Without those, you have a very two dimensional quarterback (limited to a run threat and short intermittent passer).

Not to resurrect the Hill controversy, because I think he did as much as you could possibly ask, but I think that is Delton’s ceiling, and that’s probably being generous.

Last edited:

Froggish

What worries me about Delton, is his ability to consistently make good reads and be a deep threat.

Without those, you have a very two dimensional quarterback (limited to a run threat and short intermittent passer).

Not to resurrect the Hill controversy, because I think he did as much as you could possibly ask, but I think that is Delton’s ceiling, and that’s probably being generous.

We haven’t had a deep ball QB since Boykin and he threw a lot of prayers. Truthfully we don’t know if we have one on the roster now. Big difference between being able to throw the ball over a mountain and making the correct read, looking off a safety, and placing a nice deep ball where only your guy can get it....There really aren’t to many guys in CFB that do it well. That’s why the scheme and the athletes running are so important.

OU doesn’t throw deep balls they just get WRs into space and let them run away from everyone. They place a premium on winning one on one match ups...

texas_sicilian

We haven’t had a deep ball QB since Boykin and he threw a lot of prayers. Truthfully we don’t know if we have one on the roster now. Big difference between being able to throw the ball over a mountain and making the correct read, looking off a safety, and placing a nice deep ball where only your guy can get it....There really aren’t to many guys in CFB that do it well. That’s why the scheme and the athletes running are so important.

OU doesn’t throw deep balls they just get WRs into space and let them run away from everyone. They place a premium on winning one on one match ups...
Robinson was a deep ball threat... to us.

Froggish

Jeremy Clark says he thinks delton is the starter on the second page of the spring practice notes 4/5

Jeremy may have access to folks inside the program but ultimately he’s guessing like the rest of us. Let’s be honest, its a pretty easy guess. I mean it’s not a stretch to say a grad transfer who’s has 20+ starts in career and passed on a guaranteed starting gig at UTEP was probably told the job was his to lose. We also know that our staff doesn’t promise things that they don’t follow through on..Barring injury, Delton will undoubtedly be running out on the game 1s first drive. It’s his to lose..

Fosterpark Squatter

Easy summary for y’all:

If JR isnt healthy enough I dont get how he got in the bowl game. I know there was no QBs left but would think they'd just run the wild frog every player instead of putting in someone injured.

y2kFrog

If JR isnt healthy enough I dont get how he got in the bowl game. I know there was no QBs left but would think they'd just run the wild frog every player instead of putting in someone injured.

He also played in the “Spring Game” too, almost the entire time. Anybody who had even a hang nail was held out, so the staff seems to think he can handle it. I saw enough to think Delton will have a hard time holding him off.

jake102

Baldwin of Ohio State entered the portal tonight. He was competing with Fields to start this season. He’s from Austin and wants to play closer to home

Froggish

People keep using the word that he isn’t “healthy” referring to JR..I don’t think it’s that he’s not healthy as much as it’s that he’s hasn’t gotten all his previously shown mobility back yet. He could go out and start tomorrow but we would have to do away with the QB run game..He just doesn’t yet have the tools back that Cumbie needs to run his offensive style.

Zubaz

People keep using the word that he isn’t “healthy” referring to JR..I don’t think it’s that he’s not healthy as much as it’s that he’s hasn’t gotten all his previously shown mobility back yet. He could go out and start tomorrow but we would have to do away with the QB run game..He just doesn’t yet have the tools back that Cumbie needs to run his offensive style.
His foot prevents him from throwing a WR screen on 3rd and 8?