• The KillerFrogs

Did we hear anything about how Rogers, Delton, and Duggan did in the spring?

LeagueCityFrog

On Delton and a comparison, if we run the ball more with Delton, Sewo, and Jet then we can control the game better and open up the play action to Reagor and friends and or throw it deep. This keeps the TCU defense off the field and fresh, see K-State's fairly recent Big XII title with Collin Klein at quarterback for details. The comparison I would offer is Army had this same game plan vs high flying Houston last December in the Armed Forces Bowl. UH was down 70 points before they knew what hit them and Major Applewhite was then fired after the gamd. It can work, and we have the receivers to really burn a defense if they try to stack the box against us running.

Eight

I spoke with someone that works with the team and he disagrees with a lot of the things JC has been posting over at 247, mainly in regards to Delton. His take was that Delton initially surprised/impressed a lot of people at the beginning of spring ball with his athleticism, work ethic and leadership, but once live scrimmages began, Delton left A LOT to be desired with some very poor decision making and missed reads on a fairly consistent basis.

He also thinks that Duggan is already as good if not better than Justin and that Max is clearly our QB of the future.

He said Collins is on track to being 100% healthy after rehabbing from ankle surgery he had done after the Baylor game and is the most likely starter come September.

He thinks Delton, while extremely fast and athletic, will result in an offense with limited upside and an underwhelming passing threat. He holds a pretty strong opinion that outside of a few creative wrinkles, we do not want to see Delton under center next fall.

As I stated previously, he sees Mike Collins as our most likely starter. Delton will be used for occasional wrinkles similar to wild frog with an additional passing threat. And Justin and Max are a toss up, with Max possibly already with an edge.

*Don't shoot the messenger* (all the asshats over at 247 get really butt hurt when anyone posts something that contradicts what Jeremy says)

about this person you spoke with...........

images

texas_sicilian

I spoke with someone that works with the team and he disagrees with a lot of the things JC has been posting over at 247, mainly in regards to Delton. His take was that Delton initially surprised/impressed a lot of people at the beginning of spring ball with his athleticism, work ethic and leadership, but once live scrimmages began, Delton left A LOT to be desired with some very poor decision making and missed reads on a fairly consistent basis.

He also thinks that Duggan is already as good if not better than Justin and that Max is clearly our QB of the future.

He said Collins is on track to being 100% healthy after rehabbing from ankle surgery he had done after the Baylor game and is the most likely starter come September.

He thinks Delton, while extremely fast and athletic, will result in an offense with limited upside and an underwhelming passing threat. He holds a pretty strong opinion that outside of a few creative wrinkles, we do not want to see Delton under center next fall.

As I stated previously, he sees Mike Collins as our most likely starter. Delton will be used for occasional wrinkles similar to wild frog with an additional passing threat. And Justin and Max are a toss up, with Max possibly already with an edge.

*Don't shoot the messenger* (all the asshats over at 247 get really butt hurt when anyone posts something that contradicts what Jeremy says)
Very interesting and makes a lot of sense.

Froggish

On Delton and a comparison, if we run the ball more with Delton, Sewo, and Jet then we can control the game better and open up the play action to Reagor and friends and or throw it deep. This keeps the TCU defense off the field and fresh, see K-State's fairly recent Big XII title with Collin Klein at quarterback for details. The comparison I would offer is Army had this same game plan vs high flying Houston last December in the Armed Forces Bowl. UH was down 70 points before they knew what hit them and Major Applewhite was then fired after the gamd. It can work, and we have the receivers to really burn a defense if they try to stack the box against us running.
Army should have beaten OU also... valuable take away is contrasting tempo is a powerful tool in beating teams with high flying offenses..

Bruce Berry

The moderators at all those sites are "useful idiots" for the programs.

MTfrog5

You’d have at least 15 down votes if you mention that on 247

4th. down

My vote is seeing JR as opening day starter.

I still believe, though many will not agree, that this is very possible. 247 thinks Collins starts the 1st. game but how can he? He is so far behind and he's going up against a better grade of competition than this time last year. The only thing that's major holding Rogers back is working the running game, but if he were to adopt Andy's style, he might be productive.

jake102

I think this is the first year since I've been watching TCU football where having a guy like Delton starting makes sense. Our OL is experienced, we have an entire stable of strong running backs and we have a legit Bilietnikoff(sp) type guy to stretch the field deep. And should have the defense to control the game. Any other year and I don't think he makes much sense, but I could see it working this year.

That said, personally, I'm rooting for JR or MD.

Wexahu

The good thing is that we should have at least three at least serviceable QBs, maybe four although I think Duggan will probably need a year to acclimate to the college game. So there should be some good competition and the one who comes out on top should be playing well. If we get into the season and the QB play is still lacking then the blame should lie squarely on Cumbie because its his responsibility to get these guys ready to go.

LawFrog504

I think this is the first year since I've been watching TCU football where having a guy like Delton starting makes sense. Our OL is experienced, we have an entire stable of strong running backs and we have a legit Bilietnikoff(sp) type guy to stretch the field deep. And should have the defense to control the game. Any other year and I don't think he makes much sense, but I could see it working this year.

That said, personally, I'm rooting for JR or MD.
Agreed, feels like the formula will be similar to 2017 team, play great defense and have a ball control offense. If we find a guy that can throw a deep ball and stretch the field, it takes us to another level

Purp

I still believe, though many will not agree, that this is very possible. 247 thinks Collins starts the 1st. game but how can he? He is so far behind and he's going up against a better grade of competition than this time last year. The only thing that's major holding Rogers back is working the running game, but if he were to adopt Andy's style, he might be productive.
I don't recall seeing anyone at 247 who thinks Collins starts. It seems like JC leans Delton as starter, but I gather it wouldn't be a surprise to see JR start if he continues to enhance his mobility. I also gather that Max may be the best of all, but do we really think CGP will ride with a true frosh QB?

TX_Krötenechse

I really hope JR gets the start with Delton as a situational and relief QB, with Duggan playing in four games to get experience.

Collins did a fine job last season but honestly if he’s our starter next season then something has gone wrong.

Froggish

Come the end of fall, if all things are indistinguishably equal. Meaning

1. Protects the ball
2. Shows great leadership
3. Can overcome adversity......

I’ll take the guy with the most eligibility remaining...

CountryFrog

I already know the entire 2 deep for game 1 next year. So many of you are so wrong about everything you're saying but there are others who are spot on.

I also have the health percentage of every player on the roster. Rogers is currently at 89.3% but really needs to be at least 93.6% or higher to be the starter. Can he get there? Who knows, but he's jumping over boxes every day to see where he's at. Big Ross is currently 86.6% but that's a big improvement from the 63.9% that he was sitting on going into spring. Reagor is actually at 110% which may seem impossible to some skeptics, but if you can give 110% effort then why can't you be 110% healthy?

4th. down

I don't recall seeing anyone at 247 who thinks Collins starts. It seems like JC leans Delton as starter, but I gather it wouldn't be a surprise to see JR start if he continues to enhance his mobility. I also gather that Max may be the best of all, but do we really think CGP will ride with a true frosh QB?

Yeah, he said it the other day which really surprised me. Personally, don't think it's very possible.

BigPurple87

I haven't seen anything on 247 that says Collins starting is a done deal. From what I have seen it says delton but Collins and Rogers will see time. Duggan could redshirt

Froggish

Last year we were sold a narrative that it was a close race the whole way between SR/MC and it turned out to be race to 4th down between two mostly mediocre QBs. ...If we have 4Qbs I’m just praying we can find 1 who can consistently lead some scoring drives. The reality is the Offensive cupboard is going to be pretty damn bare of experience in 2020 and if possible I’d like to have a QB who has some experience going into that season.