• The KillerFrogs

Did PATTERSON really say this to his players ? Holy Crap !! Man I hope not cuz If so this is really bad.

So...as I said in another thread, most of the staff was at the table next to us at Roger's Roundhouse last night. Started with a few of the analysts and GAs. Then Meach arrived. Then Glasgow. Eventually Kill arrived after the radio show (his gf can't be older than 20, BTW). As a new one arrived they all would erupt into a Norm greeting from Cheers. When Kill got there one of the guys went up to him and said "thanks for putting this together. We really appreciate it." Sounded like they had never hung out as a unit in the capacity. Meach was having a blast. He let out a few f bombs when his shot went awry on Golden Tee. At one time I gave him a thumbs up and he later walked by the table and asked "where you there last week?" I said yeah, hell of a job. He responded with "so was I" and walked away. Later I asked if we can expect more of the same this week and he said "hell yeah."

Not everyone was there but I'd say at least 15 of them were at one point. Kill, coordinators, position coaches, analysts, GA, equipment managers, training staff...every corner of the program was represented. Maybe they were just celebrating one of the last times they would be together as a unit but they sure were having a good time and it looked like they had never had this opportunity before. They all sure seemed to love Kill as well. Very loose bunch and hopefully that bodes well going into tomorrow.

Gotta wonder how tight Gary had the screws on the staff off the field.

CountryFrog

Yeah it 100% happened. When JC confirms it it’s legit. As for the quitting part… man, I didn’t want to think they had but I don’t know how you could watch the effort in the Baylor game and not immediately recognize the immense difference between that game and the previous 2.
I generally believe true quitting isn't something that happens in football because that's how you get seriously injured.

But football is a sport where if you're not 100% committed to going full speed all the time then that can make a huge difference. So I don't think we were watching a team that had totally quit before Saturday but I absolutely think they played with a higher level of sustained intensity than I've seen in 2-3 years.

And of course I'm also sure that there were still plenty of players giving it all on every play all year long. But if everyone in the field isn't doing that then it can drag everyone else down.

CountryFrog

So...as I said in another thread, most of the staff was at the table next to us at Roger's Roundhouse last night. Started with a few of the analysts and GAs. Then Meach arrived. Then Glasgow. Eventually Kill arrived after the radio show (his gf can't be older than 20, BTW). As a new one arrived they all would erupt into a Norm greeting from Cheers. When Kill got there one of the guys went up to him and said "thanks for putting this together. We really appreciate it." Sounded like they had never hung out as a unit in the capacity. Meach was having a blast. He let out a few f bombs when his shot went awry on Golden Tee. At one time I gave him a thumbs up and he later walked by the table and asked "where you there last week?" I said yeah, hell of a job. He responded with "so was I" and walked away. Later I asked if we can expect more of the same this week and he said "hell yeah."

Not everyone was there but I'd say at least 15 of them were at one point. Kill, coordinators, position coaches, analysts, GA, equipment managers, training staff...every corner of the program was represented. Maybe they were just celebrating one of the last times they would be together as a unit but they sure were having a good time and it looked like they had never had this opportunity before. They all sure seemed to love Kill as well. Very loose bunch and hopefully that bodes well going into tomorrow.

That last point is interesting. If Gary was openly telling players that the assistant coaches jobs were in danger then I'm sure he was probably telling all of them that as well.

Wexahu

Regardless. If your coach is resorting to that type of “motivation,” you’re not in a good spot.

Also, half his staff should have been fired years ago.
I would say that Patterson should have been fired years ago. But I understand that wasn't going to happen four years ago.

When a coach takes on the attitude that he can't be fired, it's all downhill from there. And we had reached the bottom of the hill. Even Saban knows if they a have a couple stinker seasons in a row, he'll be run out of town. Thank God somebody stepped in and did what had to be done.

TAINTed frog

It’s all pretty wild to me. Very Jekyll and Hyde. From the players and game plan on Saturday, the excitement on the sidelines from the players and coaches, to your story from last night.

Something was seriously wrong and it seems the administration made the right move.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
The man is gone, what difference does it make now. A lot of people sure seem intent on dragging the corpse through the mud.

I was friends with the Alec Pittman, Coach Pittman’s son who played LB at Alabama. He would tell all kinds of stories about Bear Bryant‘s final years.

One in particular has stayed with me about their QB, Scott Hunter. Bryant had apparently started showing signs of senility or just old age and would do things that never got in the papers like they would do today. In this one particular game Johnny Musso (if I recall correctly) came onto the field with a funny look on his face thinking he didn’t know his playbook as well as he thought when he gave Hunter a play no one knew. Hunter called TO, went the sideline and Bear Bryant read him the riot act about just run what he tells him to. The O Coordinator calls him over acting like he’s mad to, but tells Hunter it was a play from When they were at Kentucky and if it happens again just run anything.

For those who believe or not, GP will go down as the closest thing we’ve had to an icon and should be given his due for all he has done for TCU. Alabama would never think of digging up dirt on their icon. What possible benefit is there in putting out crap on GP now that he’s gone?

NORMLFROG

This is really good to hear. I certainly have been frustrated with the staff over the years but it I suspect that there is an unspoken sense of relief about certain aspects of this move. They now have an opportunity to showcase their coaching talents for the next employer without the unnecessary cloud of micromanagement casting a pall over the sideline. Also, this is a good example of a head coach demonstrating that they are all in the same boat...colleagues and perhaps even friends. I don't know what the future holds for Coach Kill but after watching him on the field after the game last week and reading the above post I'm certainly convinced he is the right person at the right time to steady the ship lest it disappear beneath the water. He seems to have instilled a sense of calm, enthusiasm, intensity, looseness and happiness all at the same time.

Thank you Coach Kill for getting the players and staff ready for the future. Much appreciated!

NF

Moose Stuff

I generally believe true quitting isn't something that happens in football because that's how you get seriously injured.

But football is a sport where if you're not 100% committed to going full speed all the time then that can make a huge difference. So I don't think we were watching a team that had totally quit before Saturday but I absolutely think they played with a higher level of sustained intensity than I've seen in 2-3 years.

And of course I'm also sure that there were still plenty of players giving it all on every play all year long. But if everyone in the field isn't doing that then it can drag everyone else down.
You’ve seen how many guys we have injured right? Just saying.

The man is gone, what difference does it make now. A lot of people sure seem intent on dragging the corpse through the mud.

I was friends with the Alec Pittman, Coach Pittman’s son who played LB at Alabama. He would tell all kinds of stories about Bear Bryant‘s final years.

One in particular has stayed with me about their QB, Scott Hunter. Bryant had apparently started showing signs of senility or just old age and would do things that never got in the papers like they would do today. In this one particular game Johnny Musso (if I recall correctly) came onto the field with a funny look on his face thinking he didn’t know his playbook as well as he thought when he gave Hunter a play no one knew. Hunter called TO, went the sideline and Bear Bryant read him the riot act about just run what he tells him to. The O Coordinator calls him over acting like he’s mad to, but tells Hunter it was a play from When they were at Kentucky and if it happens again just run anything.

For those who believe or not, GP will go down as the closest thing we’ve had to an icon and should be given his due for all he has done for TCU. Alabama would never think of digging up dirt on their icon. What possible benefit is there in putting out crap on GP now that he’s gone?

Well, when you have the Michael Wilbons of the world saying he wishes failure upon TCU for how they handled this it gives credence to things that are simply not true. Nobody isn't thankful for all GP did. But now is the time to undue what he did wrong over the last 4 seasons.

Moose Stuff

I’ve watched pretty much every TCU game for the better part of two decades. There was a time when it looked like the players and assistants were having fun. That hasn’t been the case for a while now prior to last week.

This is really good to hear. I certainly have been frustrated with the staff over the years but it I suspect that there is an unspoken sense of relief about certain aspects of this move. They now have an opportunity to showcase their coaching talents for the next employer without the unnecessary cloud of micromanagement casting a pall over the sideline. Also, this is a good example of a head coach demonstrating that they are all in the same boat...colleagues and perhaps even friends. I don't know what the future holds for Coach Kill but after watching him on the field after the game last week and reading the above post I'm certainly convinced he is the right person at the right time to steady the ship lest it disappear beneath the water. He seems to have instilled a sense of calm, enthusiasm, intensity, looseness and happiness all at the same time.

Thank you Coach Kill for getting the players and staff ready for the future. Much appreciated!

NF

Yeah, I've at least entertained the idea of Kill being the guy after last week and after last night the meter went a little higher. Made me think about these guys we've been berating for years and how we may have been pointing our anger in the wrong direction. Almost wish we could give this staff a chance to show what they really are made of.

Wexahu

Yeah, I've at least entertained the idea of Kill being the guy after last week and after last night the meter went a little higher. Made me think about these guys we've been berating for years and how we may have been pointing our anger in the wrong direction. Almost wish we could give this staff a chance to show what they really are made of.
They kind of are getting a chance. They'll have four games when it's all said and done. If we do really well, I bet some of them land decent jobs because of it, if not at TCU then somewhere else.

Moose Stuff

They kind of are getting a chance. They'll have four games when it's all said and done. If we do really well, I bet some of them land decent jobs because of it, if not at TCU then somewhere else.
Depending on who the HC is I fully expect at least 3 of these guys to still be at TCU when the dust settles. Malcolm Kelly being #1 on that list (assuming he wants to stay).

NORMLFROG

I'm not necessarily saying his is the long term answer but what I am saying is that he has brought a sense of security that this whole thing won't just implode until a longer term solution appears. There might be some staff retention..I guess the depends on which we the suits decide to go.

I'm just grateful for Coach Kill being right here right now. Does that translate to running the rest of the table? Doubtful. But I suspect we will continue to see a team and staff that just goes out on Saturdays and just plays hard/coaches hard and gives us some positive momentum moving forward.

NF

Wexahu

Depending on who the HC is I fully expect at least 3 of these guys to still be at TCU when the dust settles. Malcolm Kelly being #1 on that list (assuming he wants to stay).
TBH I don't really care if all of them come back, most of them, a few of them, or none of them. All depends on what the new coach wants. Player retention isn't THAT big of a deal to me, there are going to be so many players coming and going everywhere that the majority of rosters will be turning over in a couple years time anyway. Not to mention assistant coaches generally move around like crazy until they land some destination job, what we've seen here for the last 20 years is extremely odd on that front.