• The KillerFrogs

Denver Post: Boise State could become newest member of Mountain West

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
[SIZE=12pt]Denver Post: Boise State could become newest member of Mountain West[/SIZE]

By Irv Moss
Denver Post

Football power Boise State appears to be only waiting for an invitation to become the 10th member of the Mountain West Conference. That invitation could officially come as early as Monday when the MWC's board of directors meets in Jackson, Wyo.

Speculation around the MWC and the Western Athletic Conference is that Boise State will bolt from the WAC. Typical is the comment by Idaho athletic director Rob Spear, who recently wrote to Vandals fans in his blog, "I am predicting June 7 will be the day when the first shoe drops regarding conference realignment."

Gunner

Money whores control the NCAA as writers point out in this mornings' papers. Big 10 will sport it's power soon, as their money speaks even more. They can't beat anybody in football, but they have many TV sets and many Briles leaders.

713frog

bring on Boise. it's about time. better to be proactive than reactive.

if for some reason we don't get an invite and utah bolts for the pac10, at least we'll still have a chance at gaining AQ status

Houston Frog

QUOTE(West Coast Johnny @ Jun 2 2010, 12:03 PM) [snapback]567188[/snapback]
Does anyone get the feeling that Boise is going to suck in a few years?

No

gdu

QUOTE(West Coast Johnny @ Jun 2 2010, 05:03 PM) [snapback]567188[/snapback]

Nope. Not even a little bit.

Frog Attack II

Nope.. BSU has done nothing but build & build.... have national recognition & legitimately a top 10 program (that honestly has out-performed us IMO w/ fewer resources). If you dismiss BSU, then you're doing nothing but prop up the BCS shill system.

D

Daniel Plainview

They have only been able to get the football players they have because of their poor academic standards that enable them to recruit retards and players who have already signed professional contracts. DUH.

So they obviously arn't going to get worse unless the NCAA and MWC crack down on their academics first.

JimSwinkLives!

QUOTE(Daniel Plainview @ Jun 2 2010, 03:35 PM) [snapback]567339[/snapback]
They have only been able to get the football players they have because of their poor academic standards that enable them to recruit retards and players who have already signed professional contracts. DUH.

So they obviously arn't going to get worse unless the NCAA and MWC crack down on their academics first.

So the football PSAs that Boise recruits have already signed NFL contracts? :wacko:

gdu

QUOTE(mathman @ Jun 3 2010, 01:11 AM) [snapback]567434[/snapback]
If Boise does get an invite this month, will they begin play in the MWC immediately or is there a waiting period?

2011 would be their first MWC conference games.

SnoSki

QUOTE(West Coast Johnny @ Jun 2 2010, 12:03 PM) [snapback]567188[/snapback]

No way. Maybe 30+yrs down the road, but it won't be within the next 5-10. They keep going to BCS games and winning. They keep getting more and more love from ESPN/national media. Recruits notice these things, just like they notice us going to BCS bowls and notice us winning games.

Recruits are the lifeblood of a good team, and as long as they keep putting up 12 win seasons and making BCS games, the recruits will only get better. Now, if they somehow have about 6 injury-plagued years in a row, or get the death penalty, then it would be tougher to recover from. Is this likely? No... because of their improving recruiting classes. Kellen Moore could break both arms in the first game of the year and I'd bet they still win 10 games at least.

Why do you get the feeling that out of the blue they're going to suck in a few years?

mathman

I don't think they will continue to have 12 win seasons if they join MWC. Something has to give. They will be playing BYU, UTAH, and TCU every year. I don't see them dominating this conference the way they have done the WAC.

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(The Main @ Jun 2 2010, 10:14 AM) [snapback]567128[/snapback]
if for some reason we don't get an invite and utah bolts for the pac10, at least we'll still have a chance at gaining AQ status

No

SnoSki

QUOTE(mathman @ Jun 2 2010, 09:06 PM) [snapback]567461[/snapback]
I don't think they will continue to have 12 win seasons if they join MWC. Something has to give. They will be playing BYU, UTAH, and TCU every year. I don't see them dominating this conference the way they have done the WAC.

It's a great point, but how far do you think they fall at the most? Their recruiting will get bettwer by entering the MWC (odd but true). At worst, they lose to all 3 of BYU, utah and TCU.. making them.. 9-3 or so? We couldn't use a 9-3 team to help offset the 4-8 anchors in this league...?

mathman

That is assuming they win all of their OOC games. I guess they would tone down some of those games and put some patsies on their schedule. I just think the love that ESPN has for them is going to fade when they have 2 or 3 loses every year in the MWC. As far as the anchors are concerned they are not going away.

SnoSki

QUOTE(mathman @ Jun 2 2010, 09:23 PM) [snapback]567469[/snapback]
That is assuming they win all of their OOC games. I guess they would tone down some of those games and put some patsies on their schedule. I just think the love that ESPN has for them is going to fade when they have 2 or 3 loses every year in the MWC. As far as the anchors are concerned they are not going away.

Either way, their 10-2/9-3 record will still get them ranked, will probably put a 4th MWC team in the rankings and will help offset the trash that is SDSU,UNM,UNLV.