• The KillerFrogs

Del Conte, Texas and the Big 12

DelFrog

"A source close to Del Conte told Horns247 one of the biggest reasons Del Conte left the comfort of having helped build TCU athletics into a nationally respected powerhouse (TCU has a four-game winning streak over Texas in football by an average score of 38-8) was his fear Texas would get its athletic director hire wrong and cause the Big 12 to crumble."

"Del Conte was a great hire for many reasons, namely that he understands the importance and power Texas wields in the Big 12 and in the national landscape of college athletics. That includes good relationships with other influential Power Five schools — something Patterson failed to recognize, causing UT's strong bond with Oklahoma as founders of the Big 12 to deteriorate.

Del Conte also understands the importance of the next wave of media rights agreements facing the Power Five in about six years. But even more importantly, Del Conte understands the passion of college athletics. That passion has been missing from Texas."

https://247sports.com/college/west-...-spent-repairing-UT-athletics-soul--118919096

WhiteHispanicFrog

Curmudgeon

BEC62CE0-17E0-4FB8-983B-5DC13EC502A9.gif

4 Oaks Frog

For the good of the mighty B12, AWHCGMFP should have know not allow the Frogs to have such lopsided victories over the poor old orange cows. It’s caused ou to loose all respect for the cows, and that will be the end of the fragile B12.
Oh, BOO scheissING HOO!!! If the cows take the field, and they can’t defend themselves, that is somehow Gary’s fault, and he should take it easy on them for the betterment of the conference? If that is what that means, I say, “Samson, Take down the Temple”
GO FROGS!
BEAT tosu!
Spit Blood~~<~<and [Baylor asshoe] & cdc!!

Pharm Frog

Does anyone really see any difference in what he's doing and saying now then what he was doing and saying when he was at TCU? (with the exception of sartorial color selection). He's slick, calculating, and good at what he does for the constituency he's doing it for. I see very little if any difference but we just liked it when he was slick, calculating, and good for the Purple.

And don't forget that he's already preparing for his next job.

Brog

Does anyone really see any difference in what he's doing and saying now then what he was doing and saying when he was at TCU? (with the exception of sartorial color selection). He's slick, calculating, and good at what he does for the constituency he's doing it for. I see very little if any difference but we just liked it when he was slick, calculating, and good for the Purple.

Yeah, I think you nailed it exactly. And even if he's now a UT crawler, I don't think it is either appropriate or fair to paint him with one insult after another. He had a pretty big part in getting us to where we are. And in not too many years he might be key in helping us be a part of whatever that great unknown is.

zfrawg

For the good of the mighty B12, AWHCGMFP should have know not allow the Frogs to have such lopsided victories over the poor old orange cows. It’s caused ou to loose all respect for the cows, and that will be the end of the fragile B12.
Oh, BOO scheissING HOO!!! If the cows take the field, and they can’t defend themselves, that is somehow Gary’s fault, and he should take it easy on them for the betterment of the conference? If that is what that means, I say, “Samson, Take down the Temple”
GO FROGS!
BEAT tosu!
Spit Blood~~<~<and [Baylor asshoe] & cdc!!

Patterson in the article refers to their former AD, Steve Patterson and his lack of relationships with other schools.

netty2424

Yeah, I think you nailed it exactly. And even if he's now a UT crawler, I don't think it is either appropriate or fair to paint him with one insult after another. He had a pretty big part in getting us to where we are. And in not too many years he might be key in helping us be a part of whatever that great unknown is.
And then he left and is now a direct competitor. Everyone's thankful for what he did here, but make no mistake he won't be doing us any favors moving forward. See his most recent example in recruiting away one of our employees in D Martin.

CountryFrog

Totally agree. He probably wants to be commissioner of the NFL one day.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1

Yes. The difference it was for us and not the Evil Empire!

Frog DJ

Personally, I'm not going to hold a lifelong grudge against people who have worked for TCU, achieved great things for the school and then moved on to bigger jobs elsewhere (even if it's a blood rival).

Does it sting to lose a highly successful administrator to UT? Of course, but I daresay that's how most people climb the ladder of success in their chosen professions. It worked for me several times.

I still want the Frogs to annihilate the Longhorns every single time they face each other, but I won't demonize someone for trying to enhance their career trajectory by making such a move.

CDC was good for TCU, and he left us better off than he found us. That's enough for me.

Go Frogs!