• The KillerFrogs

Defense against Hurry Up

Horny4TCU

No one is talking about this... but Patterson and his defense looked hopeless and confused against OSU when their offense ran quick. Going forward, we might see more of this, what is the solution we need to combat this? Baylor injuries, timeouts, or something else?

4th. down

It’s a consequence of lack of depth and senior experience. Takes longer to get calls in and organized and our guys are getting worn out with few subs.

Several things that have been mentioned - cannot get the calls in, 1st. unit wore out, depth depleted, and OSU came out flat in 1st. half but were ready for the 2nd. half - a different team really. I wanted GP to call a time out to change the pace and give his defense a breather but he didn't.

Our bowl opponent will go to school on this but in 3 weeks our injuries have time to heal up. We should be ok to go against a hurry up. You have to make a defensive stop once in awhile, that keeps the chains from moving and the end of the effectiveness of the uptempo.

Wexahu

Trying to get a call in and not having time to do it, so we were never ready when the ball was snapped. Mass confusion. That's what it looked like to me. Gotta either simplify the calls or run a base set and just go with it IMO.

FrogsMcGee

Not speaking to prior games, but against Oklahoma St they really didnt hurt us with it until the 4th quarter. Could tell the defense was starting to get worn down and we just don't have the depth to rotate as much as we would like. Defense played great earlier in the game and I think they would have held up better in the 4th quarter with more bodies available to rotate in.

4th. down

Trying to get a call in and not having time to do it, so we were never ready when the ball was snapped. Mass confusion. That's what it looked like to me. Gotta either simplify the calls or run a base set and just go with it IMO.

THIS, THIS, THIS. But..........who can answer why we haven't done it?

Fortress Frog

Need more fresh bodies. Particularly on the DL. Depth is exposed by the 4th qtr.

Had this been last year’s unit, we would have been rotating:

Team A- Banogu, Blaclock, Bethley, Boesen
Team B- Collier, Broadnax, Bradley, Epley

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
It was fatigue and not enough time to set the defense. A common problem versus such a beast. Makes me wonder why we don't do that on offense ourselves, instead of the fake-ass-no-huddle we run.

Wexahu

It was fatigue and not enough time to set the defense. A common problem versus such a beast. Makes me wonder why we don't do that on offense ourselves, instead of the fake-ass-no-huddle we run.

It can help, but it can also bite you in the ass big time. I generally hate watching football though when nobody is even lined up ready to play.

RebelFrog

Not speaking to prior games, but against Oklahoma St they really didnt hurt us with it until the 4th quarter. Could tell the defense was starting to get worn down and we just don't have the depth to rotate as much as we would like. Defense played great earlier in the game and I think they would have held up better in the 4th quarter with more bodies available to rotate in.

I actually noticed it throughout the game-any time OSU had a positive play, especially passes, they’d immediately get to the line and snap. It was more pronounced in the second half, but it was happening throughout the game.

The delay in the defensive calls which prevents specifically the linemen from getting set was my primary concern Saturday night. I’m not sure who is making the D line calls-fin I remember correctly GP calls coverages/blitz packages and someone else (previously Bumpas but now I have no idea) makes the line calls.

Maybe it’s just a chemistry issue between GP and whoever is making the other calls. But whatever it is we’ve got to find a way to get the calls in faster, because we’ll continue to get run ragged until that happens.

Funny thing was outside of the 4th Q, I felt like this was one of our best defensive efforts of the season.

Froglaw

No one is talking about this... but Patterson and his defense looked hopeless and confused against OSU when their offense ran quick. Going forward, we might see more of this, what is the solution we need to combat this? Baylor injuries, timeouts, or something else?

Patterson addressed this in his OSU post-game. Defensive line was gassed. Normally TCU rotates 8 to 10 D line players. Can't when only 6 on the roster. Remember, we played a reserve kicker at DE on the Scout Team at practice.

The hurry up works when the run and short passes keep getting first downs. It wears down the defense and creates holes.

If TCU had no injuries, I'd be concerned. Given CGP is working with spit, bailing wire, and a used Zamboni battery, I'm not worried. Amazing job the last four weeks of the season.

Paint It Purple

Isn’t this the entire concept and purpose of the hurry-up offense?

4th. down

BASE DEFENSE when we encounter uptempo. OSU was snapping the ball before our defensive linemen were even down in their stance and the secondary was still running around. We should know how to solve this problem by now, it's been going on all season.

Volare

... I wanted GP to call a time out to change the pace and give his defense a breather but he didn't.

He actually did it once when OSU got a first and goal at one point. I thought- gee that would have been a nice time out to take 30-40 yards ago. They scored right after the timeout was over.