• The KillerFrogs

Darwin Barlow Weekend Update

Purp

Interesting. Did you ever watch the old Saturday Night Live when you were a kid? That's what most of these are referencing (although I'm sure you've reached that conclusion already...) Sorry to assume. Sounds like you and I are about the same age (44 here).
I picked up watching SNL when Dana Carvey was doing the Church Lady, but didn't catch it every week. I started to be a more regular watcher when Adam Sandler, Chris Farley, David Spade, and those guys ran the show. I don't recall ever seeing Chevy Chase on a live episode. Dennis Miller was the best news guy I ever saw. Nor McDonald wore me out in that role. There was about an 8 year window where I thought the show was funny and useful. When Will Farrell showed up is when it really trended down hill for me. I may watch one or two episodes a year now and I don't think I've laughed at that show in at least 15 years.

I picked up watching SNL when Dana Carvey was doing the Church Lady, but didn't catch it every week. I started to be a more regular watcher when Adam Sandler, Chris Farley, David Spade, and those guys ran the show. I don't recall ever seeing Chevy Chase on a live episode. Dennis Miller was the best news guy I ever saw. Nor McDonald wore me out in that role. There was about an 8 year window where I thought the show was funny and useful. When Will Farrell showed up is when it really trended down hill for me. I may watch one or two episodes a year now and I don't think I've laughed at that show in at least 15 years.
Since George W got elected the show went far downhill. I can't believe these days that ratings are high - at least in relative comparison to how ratings were before W. Show sucked after Eddie Murphy for about 8 years or maybe less but rebounded with the Sandler, Hartman, et al group. Thought early 90s company rivaled original cast although OC still No. 1 with me.

Back when Chevy Chase did the news, he would end it by saying “I’m Chevy Chase, and you’re not”

froginmn

One of the most memorable scenes from SNL in its infancy was Jane Curtin and Dan Ackroyd doing a point/ counterpoint on the Weekend Update news (hence the thread title). Jane gave a long argument, and Dan responded, "Jane you ignorant slut".

Seemed like a good opportunity for me to replace Jane with Joe, considering the topic.

netty2424

Very weird. I don't think I understood a single post in this thread, which isn't unusual b/c I have so many people on ignore. But the "show ignored content" link, or whatever it is doesn't appear in this thread, which means no ignored users posted here yet. It's like a dozen people came here to make their own inside jokes totally unrelated to the others.
Excellent description. Made no sense to me and looks like we’re similar in age based on your response to Frog cop.

FrogCop19

Agreed on Dennis Miller, even more so on Norm. Dude was awful. I loved Dennis because he was obviously intelligent. I was one of the few that actually enjoyed his time on Monday Night Football, too. His references were so obtuse and obscure, but if you understood them it was FANTASTIC. Norm's delivery was awful, so much so that the audience wasn't sure when to laugh, so he would repeat the dumbass punchline until they would pity laugh. Reminds me of the dorky kid in school that would tell the same joke over and over again until someone threw an eraser at his face to shut him up.

As for Chevy Chase live, no, I never saw that either, but my dad was really big on them and we would watch old "Best of..." segments on them and Johnny Carson whenever they were on.

Good times.

Wexahu

Agreed on Dennis Miller, even more so on Norm. Dude was awful. I loved Dennis because he was obviously intelligent. I was one of the few that actually enjoyed his time on Monday Night Football, too. His references were so obtuse and obscure, but if you understood them it was FANTASTIC. Norm's delivery was awful, so much so that the audience wasn't sure when to laugh, so he would repeat the dumbass punchline until they would pity laugh. Reminds me of the dorky kid in school that would tell the same joke over and over again until someone threw an eraser at his face to shut him up.

As for Chevy Chase live, no, I never saw that either, but my dad was really big on them and we would watch old "Best of..." segments on them and Johnny Carson whenever they were on.

Good times.

Maybe Norm McDonald sucked on Weekend Update, but his Burt Reynolds (or [ Finebaum ] Ferguson) on Jeopardy was an all-time classic.

Frog-in-law1995

Good times.

Co-sign (I’m 45, fwiw. At least for the moment).

InstaFrog

dff91bcfa4384741e87505d63e2a46b9.jpg
Sorry Crypto, completely missed your earlier post.

tcudoc

Norm is comedy gold. The news on SNL was not his best work. He is best when he is sitting in the chair on Conan's show just shooting the breeze or telling long winded stories. In my opinion, it doesn't get much funnier. Look up the Conan show where he "saves" the interview with Courtney Thorne-Smith. His comments about her movie she did with Carrot Top are classic television. Look up the moth joke as well. Also from Conan. You can really tell that Conan is a big fan. His farewell Letterman show was also very good. He had a short-lived sit com called Norm that I also loved. Most don't remember it, but, if you like his comedy style, it was awesome. He is definitely an acquired taste, but I love his work.

MTfrog5

Sucks that SNL is what it is now because Kenan Thompson should be considered one of the best cast members in SNL history

Last edited:

Purp

Good times.
I've always been a big Dennis Miller fan. I get why a lot of people don't like him. As you said, most of his jokes go over a lot of peoples' heads. I just have an appreciation for his combination of intelligence and cleverness. It's not common and refreshing to see a comedian who is well read. I liked Carlin for a lot of the same reasons, though Carlin had a different appeal to common people b/c his delivery was more in-your-face than most and really grabbed your attention. He was still far more thought provoking than the average comedian, though.