• The KillerFrogs

Dangling A Carrot

Frogs1983

If Gary is smart, he'd bring in Matt Entz to take over the Defense, and let Gary be the CEO-type head coach while Entz learns the ropes. Gary then retires, and Entz takes over as head coach. Entz would be awesome, and would probably earn $2.5MM a year as head coach.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Entz
Gary isn't now, and never will be a "CEO type" Guy. Gary is totally a hands on Defensive Coach. Just look at him during games up and down the sideline barking out Defensive calls, or chewing out Meacham when the Offense is on the field. Gary couldn't just stand on the sideline and act like most Head Coaches if his life(or career) depended on it.

Froggish

We already have a gritty coach who, in the last few seasons anyway, is .500. How well-coached can you be when you are a .500 team? At the end of the day you are what your record says you are, dissect it how you want.

I agree completely. I was just joking.

Side note...I think we have a hard time of understanding what expectation should be for this program and our conference mates. TCU just by location, flexibility, and wealth should have some huge built in advantages over a schools like K-St, WVU, KU, OKSt, Bay, and TT...In fact, this has played out for the most part in recruiting where it hasn't take us long since joining the B12 to ascend to the 3rd best recruiting program behind UT and OU. My point is two fold. We shouldn't aspire to be KSt because we have vastly more potential than KSt and when looking at a coach like Klienman you have to measure him against expectations of the program. The reality is despite what a KSt fan would say, the Wildcats hitting 7-8 wins annually is just about squeezing every ounce of potential out of that program.

So what is a realistic expectation for TCU and GP or whoever the next coach should be? We act like we should win 10 or more every year and I'm not sure that's realistic but I also believe 6-7 and a bowl game is way underachieving. You can't have conversations about firing your coach until you're willing to be honest about what realistic expectation should be. If this site is any indication, than those expectations are wildly all over the place. The reality is there are things outside of TCU's control that are going to keep them from being a true peer of Alabama's. This program can be ambitious and still have some ounce of reality...What's reality here and why?

For me the 1 marker I care about is our annual conference record. I think this schools should win at minimum 6 of 9 conference games (.667) 70% of seasons. That should be the goal. if so that means we are flirting with 9-10 regular season wins that 70% of the time and we are owning our peers.

Last edited:

Showtime Joe 2.0

What if we end up 9-3? How would you feel?
What if we end up 4-8 or 5-7? How would you feel?

From what I've seen on the field so far this year from our defense in particular, I think it's much more likely that we wind up with four or five wins than with nine. Even Patterson seems to believe that 6-6 would be something of an achievement at this point.

But, hey, perhaps our Six Million Dollar Man really does know how to "manage a season" and the Frogs will win out. But I sure wouldn't count on it or bet on it.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Even Patterson seems to believe that 6-6 would be something of an achievement at this point.
This continues to be such a scheissing stupid take on what he is saying about six wins. You must be a liberal.

All games remaining are very winnable with the exception of OSU which will take a great effort and improvement to get a road win. So perhaps we go 8-4?

Obviously another 500 or worse record is not going to be acceptable unless something like losing Duggan for the season happens.

Showtime Joe 2.0

This continues to be such a scheissing stupid take on what he is saying about six wins. You must be a liberal.

All games remaining are very winnable with the exception of OSU which will take a great effort and improvement to get a road win. So perhaps we go 8-4?

Obviously another 500 or worse record is not going to be acceptable unless something like losing Duggan for the season happens.
Please don't insult me. My credentials as a conservative have been well established on this board for a long time and in my "real life" for decades. However, unlike you, I believe in keeping politics out of sports threads.

As for your contention that five of our last six games are "very winnable," I'm not even sure what that phrase means. According to you, the Okie State game is not "very winnable" but with "great effort and improvement" we can still win it. So, apparently, it's "winnable" but not "very winnable"? Please.

The truth is that every game is "winnable" until it kicks off and we see how it plays out. As far as I'm concerned, all six of our games so far this season were "winnable" but we only won half of them, mainly because we don't have a defense with a pulse. And that's despite the fact that our head coach is supposedly a "defensive guru." Of course, no one has ever claimed that he's a "guru" when it comes to clock-management or in-game strategic risk-taking, which may also help to explain why we're 3-3 right now and have lost so many "winnable" games in recent years.

I just wonder what it will take for the few remaining Patterson Apologists on here to realize that it's time for a change.

Salfrog

Tier 1
I think a loss to a very bad WVU team at home on Saturday would likely convert most of the remaining holdouts.
It won't. They always point back to how things were in the 70's. That is and always will be their go to reason for keeping GP no matter how bad his teams get. I was here during those years also, and I don't want to see this program go back to that neither, but I just don't see that happening at all with all of the money that has been spent on upgrades, new facilities, new stadium. If it does happen, it will be because of thinking like this about the 70's so lets keep GP.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The divergence of opinion is due to the fact that we are used to a certain standard of performance out of the defense. We pattern our expectations on those established standards. Problem is, those standards have slipped. Badly. Thus, we keep expecting improvement and a return to the standard we expect, and the sad fact is the baseline of the present defense is what it is: Far below average. To keep expecting different things from them is like expecting the tide to not come in. They are what their record says they are. They are what their collated statistics says they are.

You can only get so far on reputation. At some point, reality sinks in as reputation melts away under the heat of repeated failure.