• The KillerFrogs

Dangling A Carrot

Eight

If Gary is smart, he'd bring in Matt Entz to take over the Defense, and let Gary be the CEO-type head coach while Entz learns the ropes. Gary then retires, and Entz takes over as head coach. Entz would be awesome, and would probably earn $2.5MM a year as head coach.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Entz

why would entz need to learn the ropes?

if he is the choice he is ready to run the program and i can't see gary ever being a ceo type of head coach on the defensive side of the ball

Wexahu

if he is the choice he is ready to run the program and i can't see gary ever being a ceo type of head coach on the defensive side of the ball
Yeah, I can’t ever see GP coaching a game on the sidelines without screaming and hollering and barking signals and instructions on every defensive play. It’s laughable to think of him in a “CEO” type situation.

South Texas Frog

Jeff Traylor with an all star staff and still pocket about $3 million a year they are pissing away now on assistants that have zero offers to work anywhere else aside from Chipotle maybe Charleston’s
Traylor checks all the boxes and has AMAZING respect from Texas HS coaches. I played for GP (as you know) and I love him and his staff (especially Sharp and Glasgow...and former teammates Big Z and Mod) but it's time. We as a program have to move forward even though it's not an easy or comfortable decision.

I meant for a year or two, just so Gary can transition amicably. He can even just be an advisor of sorts. Help Entz meet the right folks.

Seriously though, Entz is the real deal. Great coach and human being. Defense first, but understands and embraces the importance of a offense that can light-em-up. His players love him. He's articulate, charismatic (without being a buffoon), and really good with the media.

He's an under the radar coach right now, but I'd hire him in a heartbeat.

Eight

I meant for a year or two, just so Gary can transition amicably. He can even just be an advisor of sorts. Help Entz meet the right folks.

Seriously though, Entz is the real deal. Great coach and human being. Defense first, but understands and embraces the importance of a offense that can light-em-up. His players love him. He's articulate, charismatic (without being a buffoon), and really good with the media.

when gary is done coaching he needs to step completely away from the program for the benefit of the program.

come to games great, play golf with the old money people great. step foot in the football offices, no.

if in theory entz is the guy he needs to have complete control and i am sure there are others around who can help entz meet the right people when it comes to the tcu booster.

Dutch

T C U Froooogs

Perhaps he would stay for a couple of years before moving on.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
A name that often comes up in head coach candidates is Gary Patterson so I would put him on the list to replace himself.

Seriously, I am beginning to get a feeling GP might decide after this season to step down. I hope when he does step down a special position is created for him to promote and raise monies for TCU. We need to keep him involved in TCU.

I hope Jerry Kill is not a consideration.

Last edited:

Toad Jones

If Gary is smart, he'd bring in Matt Entz to take over the Defense, and let Gary be the CEO-type head coach while Entz learns the ropes. Gary then retires, and Entz takes over as head coach. Entz would be awesome, and would probably earn $2.5MM a year as head coach.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Entz
won't happen, Gary's ego. Entz is very interesting. Some will say, but he's not familiar with Texas high schools. That thinking went the window 15 years ago and definitely limit your opportunity to hire the best person. This is a business and not a quilting club. As in business you go wherever to hire the best.

Last edited:

Toad Jones

Traylor checks all the boxes and has AMAZING respect from Texas HS coaches. I played for GP (as you know) and I love him and his staff (especially Sharp and Glasgow...and former teammates Big Z and Mod) but it's time. We as a program have to move forward even though it's not an easy or comfortable decision.
Good post. Actually Gary should have moved on five years ago! Check the stats and you'll see a different program than we had. Don't laugh but possibly we should consult the young movers and shakers at Baylor for opinion on selecting a football coach. Re: hired a coach who's next move was the NFL and the present coach who is doing a very good job. Here we go again, but the truth is, TCU can't handle Baylor this year. Actually I don't know who we match with the rest of the way and that's a shame b/c there's some real talent on the roster. TCU has some holes but can be fixed with decent coaching and leadership. And........ the TCU movers and shakers....well the longer they wait to pull a decision changing the leadership is three steps back before its realized, we're hurting our future and program!...goodness sake, help us get some sense.