• The KillerFrogs

Dan Wetzel says SEC should pick TCU

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Posted today on Yahoo! Sports: Texas Two Step should include TCU

"Mike Slive loves the state of Texas. Over the years the SEC commissioner has eyed it, coveted it and plotted over it. All those television sets. All those blue-chip recruits. It’s the Promised Land just to the west of his conference’s traditional Deep South footprint.

The SEC is almost certainly headed into the Lone Star State soon, maybe as soon as Tuesday, when Texas A&M officially splits with the Big 12 and becomes available. The formalities and an exit fee need to be negotiated, but at this point it appears to be all over but the lawyer bills.

"...All fine candidates, but first don’t leave Texas without grabbing another – this time Texas Christian."

Well!

EUROFROG

OK. So we accept the invitation from the SEC along with A&M, the bottom line question would have to be: Does this hurt our basketball recruiting?

Right now there are some studs looking us over since they would be playing in the Big East. Would they go elsewhere?

Sure, we could compete day in day out in football and baseball, but would basketball follow on the coattails as well as it will to the Big East?

It would be lots of fun having the SEC round robbin comming to Ft Worth each season.

froginaustin

I may be a minority of one, but I want no part of the SEC and its cheatin' culture for TCU.

In addition to outright buying players, etc., I don't like them oversigning recruits and then making roster cuts to get to a legal roster size. I don't like them taking large numbers of athletes that can't cut college academics, even in "jock" classes, without extra special "help".

If we try to compete with those professionals but don't go pro ourselves, likely our football program looks like Vanderbilt's in a few years.

If TCU ends up stuck in a non-AQ conference again, I would understand holding our noses and getting into the stye with the SEC schools. Or not. Principal has to count for something, even facing millions of dollars in athletic revenue and media exposure.

HFrog1999

I do like the idea of our athletes actually going to school and not getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars illegally. While the SEC would be fun, I'd hate to see us sell our soul.

PhillyFrog

Paging Gordon Gee.....

"....when it needed that $100 million to improve the stadium it took just 95 donors to raise $143 million in a matter of weeks. This is the Little Sisters of the Rich."

TronCarter

ANGST told me that after we WHOOP those BAYLOR wussies, TCU will be announcing a move to the SEC!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

But that'd be cool, in all honesty.

NubomTurk

Tier 1
Love the way this guy thinks, but I have one bone of contention.

He says:

"Yes, budgets have to be increased, but that can be done almost overnight with an influx of SEC cash."

Didn't I read somewhere last year (Oklahoma columnist writing about why the Big 12 should invite TCU, as I recall) that TCU has a bigger football budget than any school in the Big 12-2-1 except for Texas? I don't think budget is an issue.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The SEC is a septic tank. Sure, it's full of money and all, but we would have to check our principles at the door. I don't want to do that.

Also, considering the "regulatory structure" of the SEC, we would suffer while the Auburns of the Conference get away with the worst imaginable things. Like, right now.

The money would be nice, as would the prestige. But, as others have pointed out, we would be selling our souls. Just joining the BCS made me want to take a shower, the SEC may mandate a full dermal lavage and a high colonic...

Gunner

The Big East is exactly where we need to be.

Exactly. We don't need the Texas domination and unfair compensation arrangements. And why would you want the SEC? I never have understood that. I want to play the SEC in the national championship, like it should have been, last year.

Love the media exposure of the Big East. Plus you don't get beat up so during the regular season. Too many plusses with the BE..

smredd

If we do get the invite... you take it. Plain and simple. It would be a dumb move not to. There would be too much money and opportunity left on the table. Regardless of how we all feel about A&M, they know what they are doing.

As for the cheating and scandals and roster cuts, just know we stick by the rules now and would continue to. Going to the SEC won't change that and I can promise you Patterson won't change. Wetzel makes valid points and hopefully the SEC takes note of them; which I am sure they already have.

I may be a minority of one, but I want no part of the SEC and its cheatin' culture for TCU.

In addition to outright buying players, etc., I don't like them oversigning recruits and then making roster cuts to get to a legal roster size. I don't like them taking large numbers of athletes that can't cut college academics, even in "jock" classes, without extra special "help".

If we try to compete with those professionals but don't go pro ourselves, likely our football program looks like Vanderbilt's in a few years.

If TCU ends up stuck in a non-AQ conference again, I would understand holding our noses and getting into the stye with the SEC schools. Or not. Principal has to count for something, even facing millions of dollars in athletic revenue and media exposure.

+1

JimSwinkLives!

Mixed feelings about SEC membership. I understand the attraction and allure, which certainly makes it tempting. But at the end of the day, I'm not sure if the culture of the SEC is what I want associated with TCU. The frogs do it the right way, and Im not sure many SEC schools can say the same. A price would have to be paid to join that club, and its not exactly in dollars and cents. Is that a price worth TCU paying?

Shoot if we have an opportunity to go to the SEC, we go to the SEC.

SEC is the best conference in the nation. And heck TCU would become a monster. USC, little boys....Notre Dame, please....Stanford....who?....TCU would truly become the most dominate private school in the nation....however SEC will never happen, but if it did - we go in a blink of an eye.

SEC = $
SEC= best recruiting TCU has ever experienced (yes, even in basketball, don't fool yourselves - however football is everything, basketball, basketball, BASKETBALL, ...that is for the girls).
SEC = stability
SEC = best conference in the nation and TCU part of it

Shoot if we go in and stink we are set for life just like Vanderbilt is (who by the way is pretty good at basketball for you basketball lovers out there).

Gary Patterson with SEC talent, good gracious, holy cow. Can we say best defense ever.

No more UT stealing Johnathan Gray away from TCU, shoot UT would be equals with TCU or we might become better. UT would never play us ever again, neither would Baylor, Texas Tech, Rice, UTEP, ....

SMU would be demolished every year by 50 points or more.

This is all a dream but if you got a shot at SEC you take it and you don't look back, my friend. You guys need to go over to the south east and go to some games, nothing like it. For that to come to Fort Worth....Fort Worth would reap huge rewards, your TCU education would blossom (even though you think it wouldn't, but it would) b/c money and prestige would shoot through the roof. It would be glorious. Our stadium expansions, our new weight room, our buildings would again expand and expand...it would be the single greatest day in TCU history if SEC came calling and if you do not think so you are CRAZY, I mean out of your mind. Get real, SEC would be amazing for TCU.

However it will never happen. Thanks for the ultimate dream thought though.