• The KillerFrogs

Dan Patrick reports SDSU to Pac 12

East Coast

Tier 1
I can understand that. For me, I feel like we play plenty of regional rivals every year as it is so that's why I don't feel like it matters too much whether or not we play SMU every year. I'd rather get Texas, A&M, OU, or Arkansas on the OOC as a rivalry game but I'm not sure how likely that is to happen.

I'm not advocating to never play SMU again. I'm just not of the opinion that the game must happen every single year. I'm not staunchly opposed to it either, though. I'd just personally prefer to play more games against different teams. Right now, we're locked into 9 conference games plus SMU so there are only 2 games per year against different opponents. If we stop playing FCS teams every year then that would help too and I'd be a little more ok with SMU taking up a spot on the schedule every year. I don't know what CSD's opinion is on playing those games every year.
I'd prefer playing SMU every 2 or 3 years, and mix in Rice, Tulsa, UTSA, and Texas State for regional rivals. I also know we like the SEC schedule styling by playing an FCS team every year, but I'd prefer dropping that for another G5 game. Once UCF joins, there are USF, FIU, and FAU to get a little recruiting exposure in Florida for example.

Eight

I've said the same thing before about Baylor (who I generally cheer for against teams other than TCU chiefly for this reason): I believe that healthy rivalries between quality programs benefit both parties. In the long run, I don't think it helps your program to have either no rivalries that anyone cares about (see WVU's predicament in the current Big XII) or useless rivals with no pulse. I am always most excited to see TCU in meaningful rivalry games against teams we want to beat for reasons other than 'a win is a win'. I'd rather beat SMU than UCF, and I'd rather beat a good SMU than a bad SMU. So, yes, I am for things that help their program because I think it also helps ours.

Tradition. The household gods of college football demand that we sacrifice a pony on the high altar of Amon G. Carter's temple every second September, and it is neither meet nor right not to do so.

define "meaningful" rivalry game

Eight

I'd prefer playing SMU every 2 or 3 years, and mix in Rice, Tulsa, UTSA, and Texas State for regional rivals. I also know we like the SEC schedule styling by playing an FCS team every year, but I'd prefer dropping that for another G5 game. Once UCF joins, there are USF, FIU, and FAU to get a little recruiting exposure in Florida for example.

no interest in playing any of those games

either schedule up with the addition of the auto bid or schedule down and buy the win

especially no reason to help out the utsa program. texas has too many college programs trying to reach p5 status

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
no interest in playing any of those games

either schedule up with the addition of the auto bid or schedule down and buy the win

especially no reason to help out the utsa program. texas has too many college programs trying to reach p5 status
And perplexingly the B12 just promoted Houston for no apparent reason. ¡Ya basta!

CountryFrog

FWIW, here's Sonny Dykes at roughly the 1:11:00 mark saying about Baylor and Tech that it helps us for our rivals to be good at football.

There's certainly an argument to be made for rivals who are in your conference to not be terrible and drag down the SOS and reputation of the league. I'm not sure what argument there is for an out of conference rival to be strong.

Not that Dykes is ever going to publicly say anything other than he wants everyone to be good. I would imagine there are very few instances of coaches publicly hoping for another program to be terrible. Much less a program that is on the schedule every year.

froginmn

There's certainly an argument to be made for rivals who are in your conference to not be terrible and drag down the SOS and reputation of the league. I'm not sure what argument there is for an out of conference rival to be strong.

Not that Dykes is ever going to publicly say anything other than he wants everyone to be good. I would imagine there are very few instances of coaches publicly hoping for another program to be terrible. Much less a program that is on the schedule every year.
Doesn't it benefit us when our opponents have good W-L records?

Limey Frog

Suppose WVU played Pitt every year, which they absolutely should. If Pitt was consistently a sub-.500 program people would view that game the same way they view (or don't bother to view) CU-Colorado State: a total waste of time. But if Pitt and WVU are both good, people know that's going to be a great game, they tune in, enjoy watching it, and come away thinking more highly of both programs. There are some great inter-conference annual rivalries in college football. For most of its history Oklahoma-Texas was one of them. South Carolina-Clemson, Georgia-GT, Louisville-Kentucky, USC-Notre Dame, etc. All of these games elevate the profiles of those schools when both teams are good, but if one of them is consistently garbage (like GT and South Carolina recently in those series) people lose interest and the series loses value for both programs, even the one that wins it every year.

Personally, I just like looking at TCU schedule and seeing the greatest possible number of games I'm excited about in August. A good SMU program moves that needle for me more than a random non-conference foe of equal quality. I'd rather play, say, an SMU squad that might 8 games than, say, an 8-win ACC school that I don't really care about. That game would be fine, but the annual fixture against a historic rival does more. I'd like to see TCU non-conference schedule every year be a decent one-off home-and-home series, SMU, and a middling G5 team, e.g., Marshall (not FCS).

CountryFrog

Doesn't it benefit us when our opponents have good W-L records?
Yes it benefits us obviously. But the impact of conference opponents on your strength of schedule is greatly magnified because it's not just a direct impact on your own SOS, it also impacts the SOS of 8 of your opponents. So it then comes back to impact your own strength of schedule 8 more times since strength of schedule is not just impacted by your own opponents but also your opponents' opponents.

tetonfrog

If it was a choice of playing SMU or UT, A&M or Arky, then screw the Ponies. But if the choice is SMU or University of North Texas, Rice, UTSA or another regional game, then go SMU. Better yet, play 2 games in FW to 1 game in Dallas.

It is a long rivalry game. Keep playing it unless you get a big time nonconference game (which we have not had in a long g time). Or replace the FBS game with SMU.

gofor2

Why are we adding cougar high to the Big 12?
I find it hard to believe that cougar high has a lot of pull in the houston media market