• The KillerFrogs

Dan Patrick reports SDSU to Pac 12

Wexahu

I am hoping that with playoff expansion, most of the bowls go away. They are just going to become opt-out fests anyway. Even players who have limited NFL prospects will opt-out just to make themselves seem more important than they really are. And we will see opt-outs even for playoff teams.

With a 12 team playoff, most bowls will just be seen as a consolation prize that no one cares about. Keep some of the larger/more historic ones around that aren't apart of the playoff like the Citrus Bowl, Alamo Bowl, Las Vegas Bowl, Outback Bowl, Sun Bowl, Gator Bowl, and leave it at that. The Dollar General Bowl or ObscureNicheOnlineRetailerSponsor.Com Bowl can go the way of the dodo bird.
I don't know what is going to happen to the college postseason. I don't disagree with anything you say, but I'll add that if/when the playoff is expanded to 12 teams we are going to see more and more players from even playoff teams start sitting out.

A huge part of the problem I think is the 3-4 weeks of time between the final game of the season and the bowls/playoffs. Guys would just rather prep for the NFL than go through another 3 weeks of practice, not to mention they have all that time to get swayed by their handlers. Maybe that big lapse in time gets fixed with the expanded playoff and that "problem" goes away. I don't know, but no reason the CFP Championship needs to be played on January 9th when there are only 4 teams involved, by the time the game comes around most people have already seemed to have moved on from college football anyway.

Eight

I don't know what is going to happen to the college postseason. I don't disagree with anything you say, but I'll add that if/when the playoff is expanded to 12 teams we are going to see more and more players from even playoff teams start sitting out.

A huge part of the problem I think is the 3-4 weeks of time between the final game of the season and the bowls/playoffs. Guys would just rather prep for the NFL than go through another 3 weeks of practice, not to mention they have all that time to get swayed by their handlers. Maybe that big lapse in time gets fixed with the expanded playoff and that "problem" goes away. I don't know, but no reason the CFP Championship needs to be played on January 9th when there are only 4 teams involved, by the time the game comes around most people have already seemed to have moved on from college football anyway.

hmmm...there is a solution that has been used quite effectively for years by the ncaa

Breaks my heart, but I think Boise's window has passed them by. That team is a shadow of their glory years and couldn't turn their prominence into a P5 slot like were able to.
I’m hoping they make a 30-for-30 on the BCS Busters one day. It would be a great story about Boise, Utah and TCU, and how it all affected the universities. There could be some great info to come to light if they could get some of the retired coaches, commissioners and TV execs to talk.

JogginFrog

If you don't think there is a clear line of influence between Brett Yormark meeting with Gonzaga and the PAC offering SDSU, you aren't paying attention. Kliavkoff is playing defense. Now the question is how the presidents of the four corners schools will react as they see the dilution of their smaller pie.

If I'm Yormark, the next step is to tell those four schools that they all have an invitation to the Big 12, but there is only room for two. First two to the table are welcome. (The latter two can be picked off at any time once the PAC looks like the Mountain West Pacific Division.)

I suggested the Yormark use the threat of a bid to SDSU to drive the four corner schools to move out of the fantasy world that the B1G/SEC will come for them someday. But having the PAC offer SDSU is even better. Now they can see the future of the PAC with clearer eyes. And all it cost was a conversation with Gonzaga.

LVH

Oh we absolutely will see opt outs from players for playoff teams.

I think a lot of opt outs are more because of ego than actually opting out because it is warranted. So many fringe NFL draft players opt out more of a "hey look at me I am too good to play in this bowl, I am above it", not because they are a strong NFL prospect.

Dtx_Frog_Fan

NIL provided a great opportunity to deter opting out and skipping bowls. These NIL deals could have been tweaked so easily to make a material portion of the money contingent on bowl game participation or giving bowl game bonuses.

Conferences could easily have stepped in here.

Limey Frog

Surely the PAC can't take just 1.

I suspect hopes are soaring at UNLV, Nevada, SMU, and others.

Or maybe the PAC will play the contrarian, and stick with 10. At least until the politics (and litigation?) plays out.

Though I'd rather see SMU in the Big 12 (I know that's not a majority view here), I hope for the Ponies' sake that they do get into the Pac. It will help their program, which in turn increases the significance of our cross-town rivalry. I'm happy for that series to be a real challenge that will draw eyeballs; in the long-run I believe that a good rivalry benefits both programs, it's not a zero-sum.

Deep Purple

Can't be true unless confirmed by ponyfans.com.

For at least 10 years, they've been confirming that SMU is headed to not only the PAC, but also the SEC and the B1G. Not that their record has earned an invitation. It seems nobody can pass on an opportunity to have a Dallas team in their conference.

TCUdirtbag

PAC-12, you might want to think that decision through a little more!

This is unsurprising.

Many have taken the SDSU spin of the “on campus stadium” hook, line, and sinker.

They didn’t actually build an on-campus stadium. They built a satellite campus. The equivalent of TCU opening a “research campus” at Alliance, throwing up a stadium, and calling it an “on campus stadium.”