• The KillerFrogs

Dan Patrick reports SDSU to Pac 12

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
Let's just say no one else is confirming it. Nothing is going to happen until the state of California's attempt to block UCLA leaving is settled.

Limey Frog

Honestly... Rather have them then Houston.

I strongly disagree on that. I want as many former SWC schools as possible. I care about seeing TCU play historic in-state rivals. I could not care less about seeing a football game involving the San Diego State Aztecs. The Pac is welcome to them.

In my opinion BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF are a lot closer to replacing what we lose in OU/Texas than SDSU is to replacing what the Pac loses in USC/UCLA.

froginaustin

I strongly disagree on that. I want as many former SWC schools as possible. I care about seeing TCU play historic in-state rivals. I could not care less about seeing a football game involving the San Diego State Aztecs. The Pac is welcome to them.

In my opinion BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF are a lot closer to replacing what we lose in OU/Texas than SDSU is to replacing what the Pac loses in USC/UCLA.

Surely the PAC can't take just 1.

I suspect hopes are soaring at UNLV, Nevada, SMU, and others.

Or maybe the PAC will play the contrarian, and stick with 10. At least until the politics (and litigation?) plays out.

Jet Set Frog

Surely the PAC can't take just 1.

I suspect hopes are soaring at UNLV, Nevada, SMU, and others.

Or maybe the PAC will play the contrarian, and stick with 10. At least until the politics (and litigation?) plays out.
Tim Robinson No GIF by The Lonely Island

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
SMU fans I know are certain they will be added to the Pac-12. It's hilarious.

There has been a lot of talk about that lately, but it's wishful thinking. Fresno State would be a a better choice along with SDSU if they decide they have to add two teams. However, if they can keep the 10 they have, why add weak mouths to feed? None of these teams would move the needle on a TV deal, particularly SMU.

HornyWartyToad

There has been a lot of talk about that lately, but it's wishful thinking. Fresno State would be a a better choice along with SDSU if they decide they have to add two teams. However, if they can keep the 10 they have, why add weak mouths to feed? None of these teams would move the needle on a TV deal, particularly SMU.
Nonsense. Nobody, but nobody draws the same level of poop-on-the-field-related national attention that SMU does

Big Frog II

I can't think of any G-5 west of the Mississippi that would add any value to their TV contract. Boise might be okay, but the rest would make the TV contract even smaller per team. That kind of thinking will drive some Pac 12 schools our way.

LVH

Wouldn't surprise me if they end up there along with Cal, OSU, WSU and whoever is left in Pac after everyone else who can defect does. UNLV will surely be in the mix as well. Gonna be barely a step up from MWC for Pac in about 5 years.
The only way SMU winds up in the Pac-12 is if all the current Pac-12 teams leave and the only ones left are Oregon State and Washington State who get absorbed by the Mountain West and the new MWC decides to adopt the Pac-Whatever name.

SMU is not going to be in a conference with Oregon, Washington, Stanford, or Cal. And if even 2 of those 4 leave the Pac-12, Arizona/Arizona State/Utah/Colorado will be in the Big 12 within 24 hours of their departure.

SMU fans think that the Pac-12 wants to "plant its flag" in Big 12/SEC territory, but I don't think acquiring SMU would exactly be "planting their flag", an SMU program not even SMU fans care about, draws no attendance, no TV ratings, brings no conference titles or AP Top 25 finishes in the last 40+ years to the table.

Chieves

I can't think of any G-5 west of the Mississippi that would add any value to their TV contract. Boise might be okay, but the rest would make the TV contract even smaller per team. That kind of thinking will drive some Pac 12 schools our way.
Breaks my heart, but I think Boise's window has passed them by. That team is a shadow of their glory years and couldn't turn their prominence into a P5 slot like were able to.

Bizarro Frog

I hope the PAC 12 survives and is viable. I wonder what is going to happen to their bowl tie-ins? I kind of wonder what ours will look like in the future as well.

Chongo94

Not really sure I agree that the best way to strengthen a conference is to include as many schools as possible from a former conference that maintained a smaller region which failed to generate enough eyeballs and money towards its end and one that inevitably died is a good way to go about doing things.

I mean if it’s between SDSU and SMU or Rice to come back in, I know which choice out of those three mine would be. But maybe that’s a generational thing too.

Last edited:

LVH

I hope the PAC 12 survives and is viable. I wonder what is going to happen to their bowl tie-ins? I kind of wonder what ours will look like in the future as well.
I am hoping that with playoff expansion, most of the bowls go away. They are just going to become opt-out fests anyway. Even players who have limited NFL prospects will opt-out just to make themselves seem more important than they really are. And we will see opt-outs even for playoff teams.

With a 12 team playoff, most bowls will just be seen as a consolation prize that no one cares about. Keep some of the larger/more historic ones around that aren't apart of the playoff like the Citrus Bowl, Alamo Bowl, Las Vegas Bowl, Outback Bowl, Sun Bowl, Gator Bowl, and leave it at that. The Dollar General Bowl or ObscureNicheOnlineRetailerSponsor.Com Bowl can go the way of the dodo bird.

Eight

I am hoping that with playoff expansion, most of the bowls go away. They are just going to become opt-out fests anyway. Even players who have limited NFL prospects will opt-out just to make themselves seem more important than they really are. And we will see opt-outs even for playoff teams.

With a 12 team playoff, most bowls will just be seen as a consolation prize that no one cares about. Keep some of the larger/more historic ones around that aren't apart of the playoff like the Citrus Bowl, Alamo Bowl, Las Vegas Bowl, Outback Bowl, Sun Bowl, Gator Bowl, and leave it at that. The Dollar General Bowl or ObscureNicheOnlineRetailerSponsor.Com Bowl can go the way of the dodo bird.

back in the day, the bowls were exhibitions and not even counted in the records of the teams

no problem if they went that way again

do think the biggest mistake made by the ncaa is trying to force the cfp into the bowl games. set up brackets, play at the home of the highest seeds until the semi's and then take it from there