• The KillerFrogs

Daily Skiff: Horned Frogs gain victory over the Utes with 8-2

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
http://media.www.tcudailyskiff.com/media/s...2-3916201.shtml

[SIZE=14pt]Horned Frogs gain victory over the Utes with 8-2[/SIZE]

Skiff Staff

OGDEN, Utah - The No. 5 TCU Horned Frogs won its fourth straight series sweep, the first in the university's history, with an 8-2 victory against Utah Utes on Sunday afternoon.

TCU improved to a 34-9 conference winning streak on the season and 14-3 in league play. The Frogs will take the week off for finals and return to travel to New Mexico for a pivotal Mountain West Conference showdown with the Aztecs. Friday's series-opener is set for 1 p.m. (CST).

TCU's starting pitcher junior Steven Maxwell, earning his seventh win of the season, pitched a gem for the Frogs, holding the Utes to a run on seven hits in eight innings of work. On three occasions, Maxwell got the Utes to bounce into inning-ending double plays, including each of the seventh and eighth innings. Along the way, Maxwell issued one walk and struck out eight batters. Sophomore Kaleb Merck allowed a run on two hits in his lone inning of work.

Senior catcher Bryan Holaday continued his torrid hot-streak in the first inning as he got the Frogs on the board. He connected for his 10th home run of the season with a one-out solo shot to left field, giving the Frogs a 1-0 lead.

Three doubles in the third inning translated into two runs and a 3-0 TCU lead. Sophomore third baseman Aaron Schultz doubled to lead off the inning and moved to third on a Bryn Card wild pitch. Redshirt freshmen Jantzen Witte followed with an RBI-double to left field. Sophomore Brance Rivera's sacrificial bunt moved Witte to third and Holaday collected his second RBI of the game with a double to left field.

Utah threatened to climb back into the game in the bottom of the fourth as they sent six batters to the plate. C.J. Cron worked a lead-off walk. Maxwell struck out Devin Walker for the first out of the inning before yielding three straight singles. The Utes played station-to-station baseball and Cron scored on a Michael Beltran single up the middle. Maxwell got out of the jam as he got Cooper Blanc to ground into the inning-ending double play to keep it a 3-1 contest.

TCU picked up four huge insurance runs in the top of the seventh to extend its lead to 7-1. Schultz reached on an error and Witte tallied a one-out single to start the rally. The Utes went to the pen and called on Ryan Duke who got the second out of the inning before Holaday worked a 3-2 walk. Sophomore outfielder Jason Coats turned around his afternoon with one swing of the bat as he deposited the Duke offering over the right field fence for a grand slam.

Sophomore Taylor Featherston tacked onto the Frog lead with his fourth home run of the season, a solo shot with one out in the eighth inning. The home run gave TCU an 8-1 lead.

Cron accounted for the Utes' second run of the game with a lead-off home run in the ninth.

PurpleBlood87

QUOTE(TopFrog @ May 3 2010, 06:33 AM) [snapback]554606[/snapback]
http://media.www.tcudailyskiff.com/media/s...2-3916201.shtml

[SIZE=14pt]Horned Frogs gain victory over the Utes with 8-2[/SIZE]

Skiff Staff

OGDEN, Utah - The No. 5 TCU Horned Frogs won its fourth straight series sweep, the first in the university's history, with an 8-2 victory against Utah Utes on Sunday afternoon.

TCU improved to a 34-9 conference winning streak on the season and 14-3 in league play. The Frogs will take the week off for finals and return to travel to New Mexico for a pivotal Mountain West Conference showdown with the Aztecs. Friday's series-opener is set for 1 p.m. (CST).

Dear Skiff Staff.

The TCU Horned Frogs are an their not an its. TCU is an its.

How do you have a 34-9 winning streak?

Oh and New Mexico's mascot is a Lobo. San Diego State is the Aztecs.

PurpleBlood87

QUOTE(Houston Frog @ May 3 2010, 08:55 AM) [snapback]554657[/snapback]
"Sophomore Brance Rivera's sacrificial bunt moved Witte to third...."

Is that like a sacrificial lamb?

Couldn't get that far in the story.

QUOTE(PurpleBlood87 @ May 3 2010, 09:47 AM) [snapback]554651[/snapback]
Dear Skiff Staff.

The TCU Horned Frogs are an their not an its. TCU is an its.

How do you have a 34-9 winning streak?

Oh and New Mexico's mascot is a Lobo. San Diego State is the Aztecs.

Also, pretty sure that dateline should be Salt Lake City not Ogden, no?

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(Duquesne Frog @ May 3 2010, 10:14 AM) [snapback]554707[/snapback]

No, they played in Ogden.

PurpleBlood87

QUOTE(Duquesne Frog @ May 3 2010, 10:14 AM) [snapback]554707[/snapback]

That part they got right. Also they didn't write the score, 2-8.

Leap Frog

Giving credit where due: What a hitter the Utes' C.J. Cron is. The guy went 7 for 11 and drove in 7 runs for the series. He is batting .428 so far this season, and hit the ball hard even when making a few outs.

swimmerbabe11

I didn't really get to watch, but I did listen..That Cron sounded like a beast.

If I were him I would have fist pumped every time I hit off Purke.

PurpleBlood87

QUOTE(Leap Frog @ May 3 2010, 03:14 PM) [snapback]554943[/snapback]
Giving credit where due: What a hitter the Utes' C.J. Cron is. The guy went 7 for 11 and drove in 7 runs for the series. He is batting .428 so far this season, and hit the ball hard even when making a few outs.

He's good consider he has that disease named after him.

PurpleBlood87

QUOTE(swimmerbabe11 @ May 3 2010, 03:20 PM) [snapback]554948[/snapback]
I didn't really get to watch, but I did listen..That Cron sounded like a beast.

If I were him I would have fist pumped every time I hit off Purke.

Cron only does that late at night looking at your avatar.