• The KillerFrogs

Daily Oklahoman: Gary Patterson is wrong about the Ohio State series

Double V

This paragraph is spot on. The rest, not so much. Such is life if you have a column to fill...

Patterson trotted out the OU-Ohio State series of the last two years as proof, saying the loser basically was eliminated from playoff consideration. Wrong. The OU-Ohio State winner put itself in prime position to be selected. Last year, for example, the Sooners beat the Buckeyes and got in the playoff. Had they not played, and each beat an inferior replacement, both likely would have finished 12-1 and a conference champion. Would OU have been selected over Ohio State? Unlikely. In 2016, would an 11-1 Ohio State have been selected over an 11-2 Big Ten champion in Penn State, which owned a victory over the Buckeyes, had not Ohio State won in Norman? Unlikely.​

Wexahu

There is no reward for playing Big Programs OOC

I don't get that at all. There will be a significant reward for TCU if we win this game. Not just in terms of CFP positioning, but mostly just in terms of lifting the program even more on a perception basis, which helps with recruiting and everything else. There's no better way to prove you're one of the big boys than by beating the big boys.

Even through all these great years we've never really had a chance to take on a real giant in college football who was at their near best except for Oklahoma. Wisconsin was really good when we played them but they're still Wisconsin, not considered one of the elite of the elite. This will be different, it's a great opportunity.

frogs9497

i will ask this question once again. [ What the heck? ] does it matter what anyone on the ticket thinks?

name me a recruit they have impacted in their perception of tcu? they have an impact on the play-off committees choice in 2014? make gary re-think his decision or quit?

scheiss no......their job is to stir up [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] so people will listen plain and simple, but you do have a say in this matter. pretty damn sure you aren't driving a vehicle with one channel on a radio that is always on.

Whether it matters is a question that doesn’t necessarily have an answer. Fair or not, people tend to latch on to narratives, they grow and then form larger narratives.

In any event, we can probably agree that it isn’t helpful.

FrogLifeYo

This paragraph is spot on. The rest, not so much. Such is life if you have a column to fill...

Patterson trotted out the OU-Ohio State series of the last two years as proof, saying the loser basically was eliminated from playoff consideration. Wrong. The OU-Ohio State winner put itself in prime position to be selected. Last year, for example, the Sooners beat the Buckeyes and got in the playoff. Had they not played, and each beat an inferior replacement, both likely would have finished 12-1 and a conference champion. Would OU have been selected over Ohio State? Unlikely. In 2016, would an 11-1 Ohio State have been selected over an 11-2 Big Ten champion in Penn State, which owned a victory over the Buckeyes, had not Ohio State won in Norman? Unlikely.​
This paragraph presumes what most TCU fans don’t believe which is that OU and OSU (noted blue bloods) are viewed in the same light as TCU. Good losses and bad losses aren’t created equal and much has to do with the logo on your helmet. I personally could care less. I like playing big games against blue bloods

Wexahu

This paragraph presumes what most TCU fans don’t believe which is that OU and OSU (noted blue bloods) are viewed in the same light as TCU. Good losses and bad losses aren’t created equal and much has to do with the logo on your helmet. I personally could care less. I like playing big games against blue bloods

OK, but you can't expect to play two tin cans and Purdue in OOC play, finish 12-1, and think you'll be in a good position to win any kind of tiebreaker with an OSU, USC, Oklahoma, Texas, Florida State, Michigan, Clemson etc when those schools are almost always every year challenging themselves in the OOC with at least one marquee game.

I can tell you right now, if we happen to go 12-1 next year and there are a bunch of teams in the running for a playoff spot, we probably aren't getting in. And it's not going to be because of CFP committee bias, it's going to be because our scheduling philosophy backfired.

And I'm not criticizing GP, there's a risk to doing it either way and his philosophy might be the best approach, but there's a risk to doing it his way too.

FrogLifeYo

OK, but you can't expect to play two tin cans and Purdue in OOC play, finish 12-1, and think you'll be in a good position to win any kind of tiebreaker with an OSU, USC, Oklahoma, Texas, Florida State, Michigan, Clemson etc when those schools are almost always every year challenging themselves in the OOC with at least one marquee game.

I can tell you right now, if we happen to go 12-1 next year and there are a bunch of teams in the running for a playoff spot, we probably aren't getting in. And it's not going to be because of CFP committee bias, it's going to be because our scheduling philosophy backfired.

And I'm not criticizing GP, there's a risk to doing it either way and his philosophy might be the best approach, but there's a risk to doing it his way too.

Don’t disagree with you..Simply pointing out he common fan perspective on this site. Sometimes I think we’ve made the holy grail just getting in position to be considered for a playoff spot. I do think schools like our have a National perception problem and some implicit bias towards blue bloods exist. However I think it’s incumbent on us to change that by playing some tougher out of conference games rather than spend all our time upset that we don’t get more respect

Eight

Whether it matters is a question that doesn’t necessarily have an answer. Fair or not, people tend to latch on to narratives, they grow and then form larger narratives.

In any event, we can probably agree that it isn’t helpful.

isn't helpful in regards to what?

are admissions suffering? donations down? trouble selling tickets? trouble recruiting?

besides listening to some morons on the radio prattle on because they know they have 15 more weeks to bash the cowboys what is at stake here?

the local media's perception of the tcu program? scheiss the local media....scheiss barry tramel in oklahoma.

barry is just pissed bob stoopes is gone and he can't agitate him.

the only people this [ Finebaum ] matters to are the people who let it and scheiss everyone else

Wexahu

Don’t disagree with you..Simply pointing out he common fan perspective on this site. Sometimes I think we’ve made the holy grail just getting in position to be considered for a playoff spot. I do think schools like our have a National perception problem and some implicit bias towards blue bloods exist. However I think it’s incumbent on us to change that by playing some tougher out of conference games rather than spend all our time upset that we don’t get more respect

Bingo. See Miami in the 80's and early 90's. When I was a kid they were the THE team in college football, because they took on and beat the best teams.

froginmn

However I think it’s incumbent on us to change that by playing some tougher out of conference games rather than spend all our time upset that we don’t get more respect

We're doing that tomorrow. And did it against LSU and Arkansas. And will do it again against Stanford.

What we're arguing about is whether we have to do it every year.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I don't get that at all. There will be a significant reward for TCU if we win this game. Not just in terms of CFP positioning, but mostly just in terms of lifting the program even more on a perception basis, which helps with recruiting and everything else. There's no better way to prove you're one of the big boys than by beating the big boys.

Even through all these great years we've never really had a chance to take on a real giant in college football who was at their near best except for Oklahoma. Wisconsin was really good when we played them but they're still Wisconsin, not considered one of the elite of the elite. This will be different, it's a great opportunity.
I hate to break this to you, but (insert picture of man beating dead horse HERE) ESPN does not consider TCU a program worthy of consideration in the "Playoff" and thus, unless we are undefeated, we will not receive a berth. Additionally, outside of UT and OU, ESPN considers the BIGXII to be a lesser Conference, and thus, unworthy of consideration based upon the "weakness" of Conference opponents. Mark it down: In the unlikely event TCU defeats the stinking tOSU tomorrow, and goes on to win all but one of their remaining contests, AND tOSU wins all their remaining games, the "Committee" (Read ESPN) will pick tOSU to go to their "Playoff." Because... tOSU!

I know you'll bleat all kinds of defenses of ESPN and their sock-puppet "Committee" but the basic bottom line is: ESPN is in business to stage "compelling" matchups to garner the highest ratings possible. TCU vs Iowa in a Playoff does not, therefore, fit that criteria. Hence, wherever possible, they will see to it that only Name Brand Properties are selected to their little shindig, and they will dispatch their little paid mouthpieces to proclaim to the public that the "Playoff Committee" has picked the best teams, and that this will be the best playoff EVER!

In order to make the Playoff, we have to do the near-impossible, and take the decision away from them. Even then, I have my doubts...

frogs9497

isn't helpful in regards to what?

are admissions suffering? donations down? trouble selling tickets? trouble recruiting?

besides listening to some morons on the radio prattle on because they know they have 15 more weeks to bash the cowboys what is at stake here?

the local media's perception of the tcu program? scheiss the local media....scheiss barry tramel in oklahoma.

barry is just pissed bob stoopes is gone and he can't agitate him.

the only people this [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] matters to are the people who let it and scheiss everyone else

I was wrong... we probably can't agree. At least we'll root for the same team on Saturday.

frogxc

The Ticket taking shots at the “business plan” right now. Junior said he loves CGP and considers him possibly a top 3 coach in the country, but completely disagrees with the rationale for dropping the home-and-home. He said if you believe you're a Top 10 program, act like it.

That comment is insinuating that if you really are a top 10 team, you should welcome any and all competition from any and all teams at any time, without any regard to the business side of college football.

It's not just about "acting like" you are a top 10 team by not backing down to a challenge. I'm sure their entire segment, based on that quote, substantively said nothing.

Eight

I was wrong... we probably can't agree. At least we'll root for the same team on Saturday.

you don't need my permission to believe what you do

i simply don't buy into the idea that the media have as much impact as we give to them.

quite simply i don't recall the last time i heard someone on a sports radio show say something i thought was thought provoking or profound and i am not a a very smart person

Wexahu

I hate to break this to you, but (insert picture of man beating dead horse HERE) ESPN does not consider TCU a program worthy of consideration in the "Playoff" and thus, unless we are undefeated, we will not receive a berth.

I sure as hell hope the recruits we target don't believe this BS, because that's exactly what it is.

Atomic Frawg

I agree...to an extent. A lot depends on how well our conference does as a whole. OU, KSU, and Tech have road games against UCLA, Mississppi State, and Arizona, respectively, and Texas plays LSU. WVU plays at Missouri AND home against NC State. If the conference does well against the OOC opponents, and we go 12-1 under the scenario you mentioned above I think we would definitely be in.

I think the conference as a whole needs to shine in the OOC games. That sets up a "we may beat up each other, but we can all beat up you" type of perception with the conference, so the conference losses don't hurt as much. This year we didn't start off well in the OOC games with Tech, Texas, and K-State losing badly and/or not showing well against lower division schools. The conference needs for us to beat the Buckeyes to help whomever finishes at the top to get into the playoff. Otherwise, there will be no room for error in conference play this year.

All that being said, I think we are more of a brand than most on this board and in TCU nation realize.

CountryFrog

When was the last time Alabama had a strong home and home? They only do home games and one off neutral site games. Seems to be working out fine for them.

froginmn

Bingo. See Miami in the 80's and early 90's. When I was a kid they were the THE team in college football, because they took on and beat the best teams.
Tough comparison because they were independent. So playing 4-5 tough teams out of conference isn't dissimilar to what most teams in a big conference play. Some years they played 2, 3, 5 ranked teams. SEC teams do that every year, and we sometimes do the same.

But they also played Rice, E Carolina, Tulsa, Colorado St.