• The KillerFrogs

Daily Oklahoman: Big 12 could have fewer 11 a.m. kickoffs

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Big 12 could have fewer 11 a.m. kickoffs

by Berry Tramel

So far, the Big 12 has fewer 11 a.m. kickoffs than normal. Only the first three weeks of the college football season have been time-slotted. But in those three weeks, the Big 12 has fewer of the dreaded morning kickoffs.

OU has two home games and one road game in the first three weeks. OSU has one home game and two road games in the first weeks. Neither has an 11 a.m. kickoff.

Read more at https://oklahoman.com/article/5637354/so-far-ou-osu-have-avoided-dreaded-11-a.m.-kickoffs

Wexahu

All FCS games should start at 11:00 (or better yet, noon so it's a little hotter) and not be televised, as "punishment" for scheduling them. I'm tired of the arguments why those games need to be played, none make any sense and they suck for college football. If those schools need the money, just cut them a check and play someone else that people will want to watch, it will be a net gain financially.

Wexahu

There should be no 11 a.m. games south of Stillwater until October. Start the rest in the evening. 6 and 8 time slots. Along with a Thursday or Friday night here and there ... and none of the fans gripe so much about the heat.

7:00 games in September pretty much suck for tailgating (worse than 11:00 AM in my opinion), so there's that too. There are no good options when it's 95 degrees but at least give me an interesting game to watch, not FCS.

Mean Purple

7:00 games in September pretty much suck for tailgating (worse than 11:00 AM in my opinion), so there's that too. There are no good options when it's 95 degrees but at least give me an interesting game to watch, not FCS.
As someone who had tailgated at Ole Miss with some friends in the Grove, I say just throw up a tent and lots of great food ... and some fans.

jake102

I'd prefer 7pm games all day. Yeh tailgating is hot, but you have some options to stay cooler while tailgating. No way to stay cool in the stands

HFrog12

We need a few 11 am games just so I can sit back and smile while under the new east side suites. Just kidding, anything that gets butts in the seats and if 11 am games are the deterrent then I hope we never have them.

Wexahu

I'd prefer 7pm games all day. Yeh tailgating is hot, but you have some options to stay cooler while tailgating. No way to stay cool in the stands

The problem with 7:00 FCS games is you leave at the same time the good 2:30 games start and you get home after the good 7:00 games are over. So you basically miss all the good games on TV suffering through damn near a heat stroke watching a crappy, uncompetitive game. At least if it's at 11:00 you get home by 4:00 and catch most of the good games in the comfort of AC at home.

jake102

The problem with 7:00 FCS games is you leave at the same time the good 2:30 games start and you get home after the good 7:00 games are over. So you basically miss all the good games on TV suffering through damn near a heat stroke watching a crappy, uncompetitive game. At least if it's at 11:00 you get home by 4:00 and catch most of the good games in the comfort of AC at home.

Certainly a good point and the big downside of night games... basically eats up the entire day.

Mean Purple

I know it's a dumb idea, but no more asinine than the idea that we have to play the games to subsidize the lower revenue conferences, which is a common thing throw out there. Coaches want easy wins, that's what it's all about.
I have no problem with tune up games. We don't have pre-season games. So these games help our team measure where they should be before league play. it has been that way for years. Charge a lower ticket price? Ok. But all the whining about people scheduling FCS teams just gets old after a while. It's the stuff of sports dj's in the off season who are too lazy to do good show prep. Yawn factor.

Froggish

All FCS games should start at 11:00 (or better yet, noon so it's a little hotter) and not be televised, as "punishment" for scheduling them. I'm tired of the arguments why those games need to be played, none make any sense and they suck for college football. If those schools need the money, just cut them a check and play someone else that people will want to watch, it will be a net gain financially.
If FCS games didn’t happen, a whole lot of FCS programs wouldn’t exist

Wexahu

I have no problem with tune up games. We don't have pre-season games. So these games help our team measure where they should be before league play. it has been that way for years. Charge a lower ticket price? Ok. But all the whining about people scheduling FCS teams just gets old after a while. It's the stuff of sports dj's in the off season who are too lazy to do good show prep. Yawn factor.

On the first point, no they don't. Sorry, but playing Jackson State doesn't prepare you for anything other than how to go through a pre-game routine. Our teams gets 5x better prep going against each other in practice than they do playing Arkansas Pine-Bluff. On the second point, I don't pay much attention to "sports djs" in the offseason so I don't know about that, but I do know there is a HUGE yawn factor watching two teams play against each other that aren't even remotely competitive. The stands being about 10% full mid-way through the 3rd quarter pretty much confirms I'm not alone in that opinion.

There are only 12 games in a season and 6 or 7 home games. It's a shame one has to be thrown away on junk.