• The KillerFrogs

CWS: Home/Away Team Rules

TCUdirtbag

I'm sure this will come up this week:

Source:  http://www.cwsomaha.com/index.php?option=com_easyfaq&task=view&id=17&Itemid=161

For Game 1 - TCU (Home Team) vs. TTU

The highest-seeded teams advancing from super-regional tournaments shall be the home teams for the first-round contests. In the event of a match-up between equally seeded teams, a coin flip will determine the home team.

TCU was a 1-seed, and Tech was a 2-seed, so TCU is the home team on Sunday.  

(Also note: UVA is the home team vs. Ole Miss -- the rules are unclear IMO.Both were 1-seeds/regional hosts. I'm not sure if UVA's national seed trumps Ole Miss's 1-seed, or if there was a coin flip and UVA won.)

Game 2 - IF TCU vs. UVA --- COIN FLIP

the home team shall be determined by coin toss. The coin toss will be held on the field immediately after the game that caused the situation to develop and both coaches are requested to be in attendance

So, if both TCU and UVA win, or if both lose, on Sunday, there will be a coin toss on the field immediately after the Sunday night UVA-Miss game to determine the home/away teams for both Tuesday games.  

Game 2 - IF TCU vs. Ole Miss (Home Team)

The institution that has been the home team the fewer number of times shall be designated the home team.

Since Ole Miss is an away team Sunday, if they play us Tuesday, they'll get their "turn" to be a home team.  

leofrog

Thanks for posting this, but IMO, it doesn't friggin matter! We proved we can win on the "road" the last two weekends!! But, there definitely will be some bitching!!

cdsfrog

leofrog said:
Thanks for posting this, but IMO, it doesn't friggin matter! We proved we can win on the "road" the last two weekends!! But, there definitely will be some [2314ing]!!

While I agree with you leofrog that it doesn't matter for the reasons you stated, if people understand how home/away is determined maybe that will diminish the bitching about it. None from me promise.

TCUdirtbag

With pitching being our strong suit, being a visitor doesn't bother me. That said, it's always nice to have the last shot at a W. As a fan, it's easier to watch 8th/ 9th/extra innings if your team is home. But I agree it's not really a big deal, and TCU has proved they can win right games either way.

But people will be complaining when we are the visitors.

leofrog

cdsfrog said:

While I agree with you leofrog that it doesn't matter for the reasons you stated, if people understand how home/away is determined maybe that will diminish the [2314ing] about it. None from me promise.
Agreed, and I'll hold you to that cds!!

ftwfrog

Just win for sure but I say seeding should matter for the first game and then flip a coin or seeding should matter thru out. Of course the super regionals I thought was the biggest joke. You are a national seed hosting the super and only are home team once. Agreed, no reason to [ hundin] about it but also doesn't make much sense to me.

TCUWIN

Thanks for posting the rules. I am still going to complain. What is the advantage to having a national seed if it gets you nothing in the college world series. Its hard enough to get there (only two national seeds this year). Reward them. OK. Done complaining.

TCUdirtbag

As a reminder, we are the visiting team tonight per the coin flip on Sunday night.  

I'm sure this complaint will come up at some point in the day/evening, so I'm bumping the rules.  And to add some substance, here's a look at what happens in our next game (since we're guaranteed to play again):

If TCU wins Tuesday:
- UVA to loser's bracket, will be visitor on Thursday vs. either Ole Miss or Tech.
- If UVA emerges from the loser's bracket, they will have been the home team 2x and the visitor 1x.  TCU will be the home team Friday night because "The institution that has been the home team the fewer number of times shall be designated the home team."
- If Ole Miss emerges from the loser's bracket, they will have been the home team 2x and the visitor 1x.  So, TCU will be the home team Friday night for the same reason stated above.
- If TTU emerges from the loser's bracket, they will have been the home team 1x and the visitor 2x.  So, TCU will be the visitor team Friday night because if two teams have an equal number of home team appearances, "then the team that has been the visitor more often will be designated the home team."

If TCU loses Tuesday:
- UVA guaranteed to be visitor on Friday in all circumstances.
- TCU to loser's bracket and . . . 
- If Ole Miss beats Tech on Tuesday, TCU will be the home team vs. Ole Miss on Thursday night because "the team that was visitor in its preceding game shall be the home team."  Then, if TCU wins that elimination game, they will be the home team vs. Virginia on Friday night because if two teams have an equal number of home team appearances, "then the team that has been the visitor more often will be designated the home team."
- If Tech beats Ole Miss on Tuesday, TCU will be the visitor vs. Tech on Thursday night because "The institution that has been the home team the fewer number of times shall be designated the home team."  Then, if TCU wins that elimination game, they will be the home team vs. Virginia on Friday night for the same reason.  

Latest posts