• The KillerFrogs

CWS Game Thread: TCU vs. Texas Tech

EdKamen

Joey Cora went to U of Miami ... not sure if he was born in the US or not, regardless of his accent. He was a very good major league ballplayer.

That said, he isn't a very good announcer. Although I did like hearing him recount his CWS experience.

Flying T

Tier 1
I don't like any ESPN commentary of any kind. It is all political activism and/or agenda driven to prop up their [ Finebaum ]ty business interests and [ Finebaum ]ty business decisions (SEC). Just report the news and call a game without any bias or people will continue to reject ESPN.

JugbandFrog

helcap said:
I had to watch the game on ESPN3, where there there were no announcers, only field mike sounds.  And was surprised I didn't miss the lack of commentary at all.
Best thing they can do on sports broadcasting is get rid of the announcers. With aound systems tve way they are, all we need is the sounds of the game pumped in.

I've been wanting that for years.

Zubaz

EdKamen said:
Joey Cora went to U of Miami ... not sure if he was born in the US or not, regardless of his accent. He was a very good major league ballplayer.

That said, he isn't a very good announcer. Although I did like hearing him recount his CWS experience.
Cora was born in Puerto Rico.  So he was born in the US....kinda?

I thought he was fine.  He's got a lot of experience as both player and coach to pull from when commentating.  One that stuck out was our "attempt" at a bunt before going ahead in a 2-0 count, then saying "at this point, the bunt would be off due to the count".  Maybe I don't watch enough other baseball but I thought that was good insight that even top flight announcers like Buck don't get in to.

Frankly, I had more an issue with the main PBP guy, stammering all over the place, dead air, joking about what he had just said was stupid and he might just take the rest of the inning off, etc.  It wasn't terrible, and I think to a certain extent these early CWS games are a bit more informal.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
"Give em the heater Ricky". Anybody catch that? I thought it was funny but it fell so flat on the broadcast that I thought there was a spare mic that had caught a fan comment.

PO Frog said:
My issue was that I had a hard time understanding the Spanish guy, but I am a little hard of hearing anyways. I don't think Kyle Peterson is bad and it's hard to find a more dedicated college baseball guy.
Sounds like white grandma. Every brown person is Spanish. That Spanish boy who mows our lawn...

OTOH, my Mexican grandma calls everyone who is brown a Mexican. What about Dominicans? Oh, they're black.

TCUownstheBig12

EdKamen said:

Joey Cora went to Vanderbilt. Alex Cora went to the U.

GeoFrog

I'm watching the Miami-UCSB game now, and Cora sounds much better today.  I think he was just struggling to find words yesterday.  Could be he knows the Miami program more and isn't having to refer to notes as much.

PO Frog

PhormerPhrog said:
Sounds like white grandma. Every brown person is Spanish. That Spanish boy who mows our lawn...

OTOH, my Mexican grandma calls everyone who is brown a Mexican. What about Dominicans? Oh, they're black.
I was referring to language not race. Or does Cora speak Portugese? Apologies if so.

frognutz

RollToad said:
Anyone complaining about the now seemingly obligatory piss poor announcing apparently hasn't discovered the ESPN 3 Mulitcam option. It's glorious.

Baseball needs announcers.  There is a lot of strategy worth talking about and it's a slow plodding game at times so good to help keep people's attention.  Plus, you can still hear what's happening when you are on the [ Finebaum ]ter.

Froginbedford

jugbandfrog said:
Best thing they can do on sports broadcasting is get rid of the announcers. With aound systems tve way they are, all we need is the sounds of the game pumped in.

I've been wanting that for years.

About 1968, when field mikes were first introduced...Thanksgiving Day pro game, but not the Cowboys, the sideline dish picked up a very distinct and loud "c**ks**ker" after a play....mom and grandmother were horrified and screamed...dad and brother and one other LOLed too long...granddad sat in stunned silence....

Pharm Frog

frognutz said:

Baseball needs announcers.  There is a lot of strategy worth talking about and it's a slow plodding game at times so good to help keep people's attention.  Plus, you can still hear what's happening when you are on the [ Finebaum ]ter.

Baseball needs radio announcers.  I'm much less certain about television broadcasters and it never needs three in the booth.  And its preferable to [ Finebaum ] between innings.

Pharm Frog said:

Baseball needs radio announcers.  I'm much less certain about television broadcasters and it never needs three in the booth.  And its preferable to [Craig James] between innings.
Speaking of radio, I listened to most of yesterday's games on XM. It was a local broadcast and I assume they were the Omaha Royals' radio team. Really enjoyed it. The color guy has mancrush on Baker. He called him Babe Ruth and the 51st State in the Union, among others.

PO Frog

PhormerPhrog said:
Well, you did say "the Spanish guy."
Yet neither I or anyone reading the board actually thought the guy was from Spain, so apparently you still figured out what I meant. I will go to PC prison for my sins now though.

PO Frog said:
Yet neither I or anyone reading the board actually thought the guy was from Spain, so apparently you still figured out what I meant. I will go to PC prison for my sins now though.
Didn't mean to pee in your cheerios. I just found it funny...not offensive. My grandmother is a hillbilly from West Virginia and it sounded like the beginning of one of her dementia-laden stories.

Deep Purple

PO Frog said:

No need for PC prison.  Just learn the meaning of the term 'Hispanic.'