• The KillerFrogs

CWS Game Thread: TCU vs. Texas Tech

GlendarrochFrog

BankerFrog said:
Never understood this sentiment, I thought he actually had a lot of good points that weren't the usual BS spouted over and over by the ESPN drones. Just becuase someone has an accent doesn't mean they're dumb and can't contribute, I feel like some people on this board need to get that through their heads.
All he said is that he thought he was listening to a telemundo broadcast. He said nothing about him being dumb and unable to contribute. So who again is making that connection...

frognutz

BankerFrog said:
Never understood this sentiment, I thought he actually had a lot of good points that weren't the usual BS spouted over and over by the ESPN drones. Just becuase someone has an accent doesn't mean they're dumb and can't contribute, I feel like some people on this board need to get that through their heads.

He had great points.  For me though, it was just distracting and hard to understand at times.

Not sure why ESPN has to always try and trick things up.  They did it last year as well with the woman softball coach announcer or ex-softballer or whoever that was who was a beating.  They just insist on shoe-horning in awkward [Craig James].

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
2 announcers are all that is needed.  One to do the play-by-play, especially for those of us whose eyes aren't permanently glued to the screen, but still want to follow the game.  The other to provide relevant details, background, or other interesting details. I don't need to hear about their personal sports histories, the NBA, SEC commentary, etc., etc., etc.

Sticky_Wicket

Purple Baylor Alum
Austintxfrog94 said:

Yeah the pitch looked like it floated away from him to Baker's inside but I'm a baseball novice.   
Yep.

818990983f.png

PasadenaFrog

Coastal Carolina arguably had their best sports day ever yesterday. Dustin Johnson attended Coastal Carolina (don't know if he actually graduated) and their baseball team won their first ever game in Omaha. 

flyfishingfrog

BankerFrog said:
I could care less about an accent - although he start speaking so quickly a couple of times he had to stutter a little to get his thought out and my MIL has that problem sometimes - she says it because she thinks in Spanish and literally has to translate it in her head - so maybe that was the issue which is understandable.

However, the fact that for literally all of 3 half innings they talked about other things like their little league, their CWS experience, and the Cubs without ever mentioning the game going on at TD was unacceptable and totally distracting and detracting from the broadcast.

CountryFrog

I'm shocked that people didn't like the broadcast team. I usually come on here after football, basketball, and baseball games to see multiple threads praising the announcers and their fair unbiased opinions.

Pharm Frog

CountryFrog said:
I'm shocked that people didn't like the broadcast team. I usually come on here after football, basketball, and baseball games to see multiple threads praising the announcers and their fair unbiased opinions.

I didn't detect any overt bias.  Just piss poor broadcasting with an occasional insight.  It seems like they want to create a scene like some buddies hanging out in a living room talking about whatever they want to talk about (often themselves) while a game is being played.  I think its a purposeful approach and a poor one.

Moose Stuff

Frog-in-law1995 said:
I thought it was a pretty good 2 seamer, but unless you're throwing it to come back and catch the outside corner, or you can throw it 96, that's not a pitch I'd ever throw that guy.
It was a good pitch to a whole bunch of hitters. Not to Luken.

FrogAbroad

flyfishingfrog said:
However, the fact that for literally all of 3 half innings they talked about other things like their little league, their CWS experience, and the Cubs without ever mentioning the game going on at TD was unacceptable and totally distracting and detracting from the broadcast.

Pharm Frog said:

I didn't detect any overt bias.  Just piss poor broadcasting with an occasional insight.  It seems like they want to create a scene like some buddies hanging out in a living room talking about whatever they want to talk about (often themselves) while a game is being played.  I think its a purposeful approach and a poor one.

^^^ These. Both on-target. Generally I prefer to listen to baseball on radio instead of watching it on television just for those reasons: TV crews nearly always jabber on and on about stuff not related to the game being telecast. If I'm limited to TV I'll have it on mute about 85% of the time to avoid the drivel.

Pharm Frog

Moose Stuff said:
It was a good pitch to a whole bunch of hitters. Not to Luken.

I can't imagine the strength, hips, and bat speed it takes to keep the hands and everything inside and drive the ball like that without snap hooking it into the third baseline bleachers.

CountryFrog

Pharm Frog said:

I was relegated to watching the game on my phone without sound so I can't dispute any of the anti announcer comments for this game specifically. It's just a very common complaint by all fans it seems.

Maybe I was fortunate to be without sound.

PO Frog

My issue was that I had a hard time understanding the Spanish guy, but I am a little hard of hearing anyways. I don't think Kyle Peterson is bad and it's hard to find a more dedicated college baseball guy.

BankerFrog

Road Trip Frog said:
All he said is that he thought he was listening to a telemundo broadcast. He said nothing about him being dumb and unable to contribute. So who again is making that connection...
Wasn't necessarily talking about his post, but saw a few other on the game thread that we're a bit ridiculous 

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
Anyone complaining about the now seemingly obligatory piss poor announcing apparently hasn't discovered the ESPN 3 Mulitcam option. It's glorious.

Moose Stuff

Pharm Frog said:

I can't imagine the strength, hips, and bat speed it takes to keep the hands and everything inside and drive the ball like that without snap hooking it into the third baseline bleachers.
Could count on one hand the guys in college baseball who could do that. And you'd have a few fingers left over.

helcap

I had to watch the game on ESPN3, where there there were no announcers, only field mike sounds.  And was surprised I didn't miss the lack of commentary at all.