• The KillerFrogs

Cowherd this morning on Utah to Pac-10

Gunner

QUOTE(2314 @ Apr 20 2010, 05:03 PM) [snapback]547403[/snapback]
You can't trust TV, radio or message boards.
Print media is the only consistent, thorough and accurate media left in today's effed-up world.

Don't know about that. Yesterday morn's Star Tel had an article about the "Tea Party folks" and a picture of Okie bomber Timothy McVea. Paper accuracy ranks right up there with idiots on NBC...

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(Gunner @ Apr 20 2010, 03:24 PM) [snapback]547574[/snapback]
Don't know about that. Yesterday morn's Star Tel had an article about the "Tea Party folks" and a picture of Okie bomber Timothy McVea. Paper accuracy ranks right up there with idiots on NBC...

I meant sports.
Print news in large city dailies are way out of hand (see political novice Obama being elected).
And you can really only totally trust community newspapers.
The S-T, bless their little hearts, are too short-staffed now (not their fault; S-T actually makes money. But like state education funding, the places that make the money don't get to keep the money in S-T's corp.) to really cover anything properly.

joejordan

QUOTE(The Main @ Apr 20 2010, 04:07 PM) [snapback]547563[/snapback]
i hope you mean Va Tech...

I thought about that, even thought about leaving Miami off, because they would take them with their noses held. The S. Fla market is just too valuable, and FL could use an in state, in-conference rival. SEC covets TX market, and next would be the VA/DC market. Virginia delivers, and adds needed academic prestige, balancing out some SEC negatives.

Froginexile

QUOTE(crunch @ Apr 20 2010, 03:32 PM) [snapback]547583[/snapback]
I thought about that, even thought about leaving Miami off, because they would take them with their noses held. The S. Fla market is just too valuable, and FL could use an in state, in-conference rival. SEC covets TX market, and next would be the VA/DC market. Virginia delivers, and adds needed academic prestige, balancing out some SEC negatives.

Cowherd put down a machivellian scenario...SEC takes both FLA ST and Miami...basically sealing off recruiting of the FL. OIY!!! If they add TAMU and UT, they get into Texas leaving.

If this shakes out, Big 10 moving to 16. Pac 10 moving to 12, and this expansion takes Big 12 schools...The Big 12 becomes much weaker, especially if UT is part of that expansion.

So, TCU gets invited to the party and the keg is empty. So, what is the viability of the Big 12 long term at that point.

None of this is pretty, because TCU is not going to be asked by the PAC-10, Big 10, or the SEC to join. Sad thing is that the Pac-10 is such a weak conference they survive by the mere luck of geography.

MrTitleist

The Mountain West has worked awfully hard to try to gain auto-qualifier status, losing Utah (who's been a big part of that) and probably TCU is really going to hurt the MWC.. which will probably make us no better than the WAC.. a damn shame.

Portland Frog

QUOTE(Duquesne Frog @ Apr 20 2010, 06:34 PM) [snapback]547466[/snapback]
Not sure how representative that is ... living in Big East/Big 10 country, there is more ambivalence if not outright antipathy toward the non-BCS schools. Many seem to view schools like TCU and Boise as pests who are screwing up the natural order and want them to go away. Particularly the Big 10 crowd. In this part of the world, the MWC is damned by association with the most local non-BCS conference, the MAC, which is the definition of uncompetitive with BCS schools. Many people assume that because Akron sucks, TCU must suck too.

My experience is anecdotal, but I don't get that impression with Iowa fans at all. I go to a game every year up there (usually Michigan or OSU) and from the discussions I have had with fans, they respect the frogs very much. But again, all of our experiences are different.

Tucson Frog

QUOTE(froginexile @ Apr 20 2010, 04:43 PM) [snapback]547388[/snapback]
Cowhered, the blowhard, said that Utah to Pac-10 is basically a done deal. He was less definitive on CU to Pac-10.

Stating that, he put TCU into Big 12 for their reload.

On the Big 10, he put Rutgers and UCONN as additions to get the the NYC market. using his east coast bias, but that makes some sense money wise. If they take a couple of Big East teams, that weakens the Big East. This is a conference that has already lost people to the ACC.

Now digesting these hypotheses:

The big east becomes less credible as a Football conference.
The Big 12 is getting raided by either Pac-10 and/or Big 10-CU and MU.
The ACC has little to offer...so they maintain status quo and become more of a basketball conference...they start looking like the big East of 90's.
SEC-what will they do will they raid weaker conferences ie. Big 12 or ACC.
MWC becomes less credible and must take BSU to keep breathing. BSU must move.
WAC and CUSA...nothing changes, they are low on the totem pole.

I think it all depends upon the movement of the SEC and who they raid. If the Big 12 is raided, they will likely ask TCU to come over. I could see Houston High getting an offer, because they are a state school. If UT and TAMU leave, we get invited into a weak conference with every team north of the Red River looking for an exit and the TTU and Baylor saying to us, "So this is how it felt in 90's?" I can't see Baylor or TTU going to the SEC, Big 10, or PAC-10. They are stuck.

Anyway it goes...I see us in a great spot to get screwed. As it goes with athletic conferences and TCU for the last 20 years...that is about par for the course. The only good move we have had is the MWC.

Is there something new on this? the last I found was written in February and that was just speculation.

Frostie

QUOTE(Frog75 @ Apr 20 2010, 06:50 PM) [snapback]547727[/snapback]
Texas will never join the SEC because of academics.

The Big 12 has three Tier 3 schools(TT, KSU, OSU), the SEC only has two(MSU and Ole Miss). Academically the SEC is a slighly higher or on par with than the Big 12, see below for Southeast Conference breakdown.

College Name and LocationU.S. News RankTeam Nickname1Vanderbilt UniversityNashville, TN17Commodores2University of FloridaGainesville, FL47Gators3University of GeorgiaAthens, GA58Bulldogs4Auburn UniversityAuburn University, 88Tigers5University of AlabamaTuscaloosa, AL96Crimson Tide6University of TennesseeKnoxville, TN106Volunteers7University of South CarolinaColumbia110Gamecocks8Louisiana State University128Tigers9University of ArkansasFayetteville, AR128Razorbacks10University of KentuckyLexington, KY128Wildcats11Mississippi State UniversityTier 3Bulldogs12University of MississippiUniversity, MSTier 3Rebels

ZeeFrog

Scott says Pac-10 doesn't need expansion

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac10/post/_/id/93...-need-expansion

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- Does the Pac-10 need to keep up with the Joneses -- or, in this case, the Big Ten -- if conference expansion means a couple of "super conferences" are established west of the Mississippi?

"I keep asking 'why?'" Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott said before joining his colleagues in the BCS meetings at the beautiful Royal Palms Resort.

While the general feeling is the Pac-10 will need to expand to keep up with a potential 16-team Big Ten, Scott's thoughts on the matter didn't seemed much changed from what he has been saying for months: The Pac-10 is seriously considering expansion but will only do so if it means more revenue per team in an expanded conference.

The BCS meetings began today and end Thursday. The star of the show is Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany, who has agreed to speak with reporters on Wednesday.

There is intense speculation that Delany could make initial contact with expansion prospects during these meetings, the first step of which is telling other commissioners he plans to poach a team from them.

So some folks probably don't want Delany to tap them on their shoulders.

BCS executive director Bill Hancock also will meet with reporters after meetings on Wednesday and Thursday.

It's entirely possible that no significant news event will emerge from these meetings, which have attracted a gaggle of reporters.

It's also possible that news will break that will change the face of college football.

Froginexile

QUOTE(Tucson Frog @ Apr 20 2010, 07:34 PM) [snapback]547747[/snapback]
Is there something new on this? the last I found was written in February and that was just speculation.

I think the part that is really disconcerting is the idea that the Big 10 would move to 16 teams. That addition of five is more than just cherry picking that is cutting down trees.

That conversation means that Mizzou is definitely in the mix and with CU reportedly going to Pac-10 with Utah...that means both the MWC and the Big 12 are being raided.

The gap between the Big 12 and the SEC, Big 10, and Pac-10 will widen. IMO, I thought having lived in Big 12 country that the Big 12 was dominant conference it is not.

Mike Brooks

QUOTE(Frog75 @ Apr 20 2010, 05:50 PM) [snapback]547727[/snapback]
<br />Texas will never join the SEC because of academics.<br />

Luv this argument. Like the big 12 is an ivy league starter kit. The Big 12 and S E C are the same. A few class institutions, more middle tier institutions and a few that don't care. Bottom line is UT will go wherever, whenever and however they can get the most coin.

themutt

QUOTE(froginexile @ Apr 20 2010, 12:43 PM) [snapback]547388[/snapback]
using his east

Cowherd is an LA guy. He has a west coast/Pac 10 bias, not an east coast bias.