• The KillerFrogs

Cowboys Classic ticket sales?

HFrog1999

Just wait for the Preseason Polls to come out. Right now the ads say "Top 10" TCU. More people will be interested when they can say, come see #6 TCU vs. #20 Oregon State (or whatever it is).

Ticket sales right now represent TCU season ticket holders. There's a lot of average football fans that will be intersted in this game when it comes closer and the rankings of the teams are out. Plus, ESPN will promote the hell out of the game a week or two before hand.

HFrog1999

QUOTE(ShivasFrog @ Aug 5 2010, 01:56 PM) [snapback]607984[/snapback]
I agree with you, HF1999.

Would be nice if the price points were a little more affordable for the average football fan.

Yeah, however, it's still a lot cheaper than a Cowboy's game and you'd be hard pressed to find a cheaper ticket to a Top 20 College Football matchup.

Dogfrog

QUOTE(ShivasFrog @ Aug 5 2010, 01:56 PM) [snapback]607984[/snapback]
I agree with you, HF1999.

Would be nice if the price points were a little more affordable for the average football fan.

I understand that football tickets are a luxury for many, especially in a tough economy, but... affordable compared to what? We do have the cheapest tickets among top college football programs. For example, the reserved season ticket at Baylor is $195 + $150 contribution or $345 per ticket. At six home games, that is $57.50 per ticket. They do have cheaper end zone packages, but that is their standard reserved ticket price. They also have a much more expensive Premium ticket as well. Tickets vs. OSU at JerryWorld are available for $45. BTW, the Baylor price is probably a decent indication of the direction our prices are headed.

ShivasFrog

I'm just talking about affordable for the demographic of locals who have recently become Frog fans. I have some folks in my office who are not affiliated (that one's for you, crunch) with TCU but are now fans and attended a number of games last year. They'd like to go to the OSU game, but balked at the ticket prices (and didn't want $45 nosebleeds). I just think there are a number of new fans out there that find themselves in the same situation.

Big Frog II

QUOTE(Dogfrog @ Aug 5 2010, 01:12 PM) [snapback]607996[/snapback]
I understand that football tickets are a luxury for many, especially in a tough economy, but... affordable compared to what? We do have the cheapest tickets among top college football programs. For example, the reserved season ticket at Baylor is $195 + $150 contribution or $345 per ticket. At six home games, that is $57.50 per ticket. They do have cheaper end zone packages, but that is their standard reserved ticket price. They also have a much more expensive Premium ticket as well. Tickets vs. OSU at JerryWorld are available for $45. BTW, the Baylor price is probably a decent indication of the direction our prices are headed.

Of course Baylor can count on tens of thousands of Aggies, Horns, and Sooners to gooble up the unsold tickets.

HFrog1999

QUOTE(ShivasFrog @ Aug 5 2010, 02:23 PM) [snapback]608005[/snapback]
I'm just talking about affordable for the demographic of locals who have recently become Frog fans. I have some folks in my office who are not affiliated (that one's for you, crunch) with TCU but are now fans and attended a number of games last year. They'd like to go to the OSU game, but balked at the ticket prices (and didn't want $45 nosebleeds). I just think there are a number of new fans out there that find themselves in the same situation.

You may want to let your friends know that it looks like the price levels have moved down. $45 will get you in Level 3 now.

YA

QUOTE(Dogfrog @ Aug 5 2010, 01:23 PM) [snapback]607941[/snapback]
early August is when the majority of season ticket sales happen. We only have 15K season ticket holders, so how does that explain the 50K tickets sold for the Utah game, or the 38K average last season, or the thousands of folks who made the trip to Phoenix? Sales for this special event are a completely separate matter from season ticket sales, most will be sold through Ticketmaster and walk up, and it is too early to decide what the turnout will be, either way. I choose to be optimistic.

Not trying to be argumenttive.

August is the prime selling month of season tickets and individual game tickets. Besides day of game walk-ups, this is the month when the tale of tape will be known for ticket sales.

Dogfrog

QUOTE(YA @ Aug 5 2010, 02:41 PM) [snapback]608025[/snapback]
Not trying to be argumenttive.

August is the prime selling month of season tickets and individual game tickets. Besides day of game walk-ups, this is the month when the tale of tape will be known for ticket sales.

Given the OSU game is played on Sept. 4th, I can't argue that we won't know more during the month of August, but you made the point that our current sales as of August 5th indicate that sales will be light for this game. I just disagree.

gdu

QUOTE(Tio Rana @ Aug 5 2010, 12:02 PM) [snapback]607859[/snapback]
The perception others have about you goes hand in hand with your perception of yourself. There have been several people here that said they feel embarrassed and humilated about a perceived lack of support. Well that idea is rubbish, and if TCU fans cant even recognize it, then how can we expect ESPN to recognize it?

Im sure some of you have seen the analysis done by the Purple Wimple blog on attendance relative to enrollment, but I think that every Frog fan should have that stat memorized, so that we dont feel embarassed, AND maybe we can start to change the outside perception by others. But we cant change the perception of others, without first changing our own perception of ourselves.

Here is the stat; As a % of enrollment, TCU football attendance ranks 2nd only to Notre Dame. We have 9000 students and 40,000 people at our games, which is quite impressive. A&M gets twice as many people to games, but they need more than 5 times the enrollment to do it! Thats lousy!

If every Frog Fan understood this, and pointed it out every time someone tried to throw attendance in our face, that would help with perception. Also, our media relations dept gives talking points to the TV guys for the games, why not make sure to include that little nugget of info? I would also love to see an exact figure of attendance as a % of living alumni as well. We should have those numbers in every media guide and talking points that we give to every schmo with a camera and a mike that says anything about TCU football.

The best control their own image, by making others see them the way the see themselves. We clearly have an image problem relative to attendance, primarily because even our own fans are embarrassed by it. The point is that we shouldnt be embarrassed by it, because relative to size we have the 2nd best attendance in the country! I like the fact that we are the little guy. What good has having 80,000 fans buy tickets done for A&M? Our students and alumni are some of the most supportive in the country. If we dont recognize it, then no one else will either. Thats the problem we have with attendance.

I've seen all of that. it doesn't change the fact that folks don't like to watch games with empty stadiums on tv. TV eyeballs are what this is/will all be about in the end.

gdu

QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Aug 5 2010, 12:27 PM) [snapback]607888[/snapback]
Just like people giving reasons why the game wouldn't have a huge attendance.... reason, not excuses

It is as easy to try and talk someone into attending as it is to give exuses or reasons why attendence won't be good. One of those things is productive. The other not so much.

gdu

QUOTE(crunch @ Aug 5 2010, 12:31 PM) [snapback]607892[/snapback]
Here I go, breaking my own rule again...

Why are we so concerned about the 'perceptions from outsiders'? Do you think delivering a few more thousand ticket-buyers (as opposed to TCU fans) will help TCU achieve any of its goals? Do you think it will usher in a new era of openness with the AQ conferences in the upcoming seismic shift of the college football landscape? Well, you saw what happened a couple months ago. Or are you simply embarrassed when your friends see a game on TV and there are empty seats? Oh, the commentator commented about our unfull stadium! He's a geniusexpert, and we all should really worry about what he says.

I am happy that TCU will be playing in the stadium, and on ESPN, against a quality opponent. I am happy that TCU fans will be there, partying and loudly cheering for the Frogs. Thousands more will be watching at home and at sports bars across the country. KF.c will be abuzz days before and after. Football will be here. Our collective hopes for a truly magical season will be before us.

It won't matter whether there are 35K or 45K people supporting TCU at the game. If you are humiliated by our in-person fan support, you really should re-evaluate what TCU is all about, to you.

You're getting it all wrong. Of coruse 1 single thing isn't going to change everything, but this is one thing. Ask CGP if getting all the details right matters. We need tv eyeballs to not be left behind in the next conference shift. We need buzz to get tv eyeballs. Peope don't like to watch games where the stands are empty. Hard to get buzz when that is the case and ESPN is clowning on you for not fillin gup a small stadium. I can't make any passes for AD, but I can get my butt in the seat for the game and try to get as many others there as possible, so that's what I'm trying to do.

gdu

QUOTE(jugbandxmas @ Aug 5 2010, 12:41 PM) [snapback]607902[/snapback]
OR MAYBE, our side is sold out and you are being forced to sit on the Oregon State side...I mean, Ticketmaster is in the business of selling tickets. WHy would they make it harder for you to buy them?

Yeah, that is definitely not the case.

gdu

QUOTE(Big Frog II @ Aug 5 2010, 12:47 PM) [snapback]607906[/snapback]
That would appear to be the answer. TCU sold out its side of those tickets, now TCU fans are buying tickets on the Oregon State side.

No. chance. Bad computer programming or something else, but our side is NOT sold out.

HFrog1999

Just let everyone you know that the game's not sold out, they can buy decent seats for $45 and TCU should be Top 6 and OSU Top 20. Get as many people as you can to buy tickets.

We bought 6 and I'm working on the guys at my office to get them to buy.

Houston Frog

QUOTE(tcugdu @ Aug 5 2010, 02:59 PM) [snapback]608037[/snapback]
It is as easy to try and talk someone into attending as it is to give exuses or reasons why attendence won't be good. One of those things is productive. The other not so much.

Well, we can all try our little hearts out to get other people to come to the game, but in the end, there are still going to be empty seats. The reason for that is because we're a small school with a small alumni base and the school we're playing is half a continent away. No one is saying we shouldn't go to the game or shouldn't try to get others to go because it's a worthless cause, they're just stating the reasons that we aren't going to draw as many as a lot of people would like us to.... those aren't excuses, they're reasons.

gdu

QUOTE(Tio Rana @ Aug 5 2010, 01:25 PM) [snapback]607947[/snapback]
Someone with the time and brian power should calculate a "Fan Support Factor". First you would combine the number of current students enrolled with the number of total living Alumni to come up with a schools "Fan Base". This Fan Base is the critical number because it tells exactly how many fans a school can draw from, in its number of people who are currently enrolled or graduated from there.

Then the average attendance for football games should be divided by the Fan Base number to get the percentage used to determine the Fan Support Factor. I am sure we would figure in the top 5 of all schools, and at least have the best Fan Support Factor in Texas.

but that, of course, isn't the whole story. it leaves out all the fans of schools who never get to go to a game, but who watch all of them on tv, buy merchandise, etc...

gdu

QUOTE(crunch @ Aug 5 2010, 01:28 PM) [snapback]607951[/snapback]
Yeah I do like having a big out of conference game each year. Like Taxes, Tech, Oklahoma, Clemson, OSU. Maybe Arky and LSU someday. Oklahoma again. Sure wish we could ever schedule some games like these.

Must be ticket sales preventing us.
He probably meant non-road games vs. big-time teams on ESPN

gdu

QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Aug 5 2010, 03:07 PM) [snapback]608045[/snapback]
Well, we can all try our little hearts out to get other people to come to the game, but in the end, there are still going to be empty seats. The reason for that is because we're a small school with a small alumni base and the school we're playing is half a continent away. No one is saying we shouldn't go to the game or shouldn't try to get others to go because it's a worthless cause, they're just stating the reasons that we aren't going to draw as many as a lot of people would like us to.... those aren't excuses, they're reasons.
I believe someone said capacity is 51,000 when the tarps are in the 400 level. There shouldn't be empty seats.

Houston Frog

QUOTE(tcugdu @ Aug 5 2010, 03:12 PM) [snapback]608049[/snapback]
I believe someone said capacity is 51,000 when the tarps are in the 400 level. There shouldn't be empty seats.

If that's true, I'm sure we'll be close to capacity. I didn't realize 51,000 was the number we were shooting for