1. The KillerFrogs

COVID-19 Threads

Discussion in 'The Pit' started by TxFrog1999, Mar 11, 2020.

1. One Second After?

Moose Stuff and AroundWorldFrog like this.
  2. Geez, I completely forgot that was going on during the ramp up of all of this. This has been a crazy couple of years.

3. Yep, not good. I really hope that this doesn't get to the point that medical supply chains are affected.

4. I thought that sounded familiar. Did they make a movie?

5. Hey Man, Stop talking out of your behind.

The H1N1 Virus killed .02% of the 60.8 million Americans that got it.

If Covid- 19 spreads to 60.8 million Americans, at current worldwide rates (3.7%),

2.2 million people would die.

That's one in 159 Americans.

The more rosey number of a .75% death rate, that would be 456,000 deaths.

And that is if the medical system doesn't get totally screwed because we only have 200,000 respirators.

Just Stop.

6. It’s already there. China produces most of the worlds medical supplies and they pretty much stopped shipping PPE gear as soon as the first positive CV was reported. There’s a shortage on a number of products from masks, to gowns, gloves, pharma, etc

Trump mentioned yesterday that the federal government just made a huge purchase of n95 masks which are produced here in the US by 3M.

What he didn’t say was, they essentially stepped in and procured the next 500 million masks that come off the production line, leaving distributors without and ultimately leaving hospitals in short supply, and frontline medical personnel in the non-acute space scrambling with a lack of inventory.

7. Sorry if I misrepresented what you said. I generally agree with you I think. Besides the obvious financial impact on families....let your mind wander and there are all sorts of negative consequences, depression being one. By Monday morning I'm going to be ready to go to work, can't imagine being forced to work from home for months, I'd go nuts. Living in isolation is not good at all for most people. Hopefully this blows over quickly, I have a hunch it will.

8. “On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.”

― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

9. Sounds awfully depressing.

10. Not CDC cuts, but directly related to why we got caught with our shorts down on this:

WASHINGTON — Public health and national security experts shake their heads when President Donald Trump says the coronavirus“came out of nowhere” and “blindsided the world.”

They’ve been warning about the next pandemic for years and criticized the Trump administration’s decision in 2018 to dismantle a National Security Council directorate at the White House charged with preparing for when, not if, another pandemic would hit the nation.

LisaLT and YA like this.
  11. And if it does blow over quickly, which we all pray it does obviously, it will be because of the steps taken to stop it from spreading.

12. So you’re assuming the govt ordered 500M masks to be shipped where? to the White House? My assumption is an order has to be placed to ramp up production and distribution will be worked out unless you have more details.

13. This sort of reporting is disingenuous at best. Our government and their experts are always looking to prepare for any number of issues that "might" happen in the future, from the afore mentioned EMP and cyber attacks to pandemics and natural disasters. The only consistent aspect to these issues is that the Government sucks at planning as most of the time the money or supplies allocated for preparedness goes for other projects than their intended purpose. Look at how the petroleum reserves and FEMA have been used by recent administrations, or how the funding for hurricane preparedness in New Orleans was squandered for examples of why Government, and all administrations, suck at this.

14. From the guy who ran the NSC pandemic office...

15. I'm curious, knowing what you know now, at what number of deaths from this would you pat Trump on the back and say well done? 1,000? 10,000? 100,000? I think the count is 55 American casualties as of today so relative to the size of this country and widespread outbreak it would seem like he's doing ok so far, no?

AZfrogs likes this.
  16. Yah Trump will wear all of them. That’s what I was putting out there. You got me.

17. The same John Bolton that said Iraq had weapons of mass destruction. The same guy who said start a war with North Korea and Iran? No think you I lm not listening to that guy as he is untrustworthy on every level.

TCUdirtbag likes this.
  18. And since those deaths were old people that were going to die anyway, it might as well be zero.