• The KillerFrogs

COVID-19 Threads

You are truly a misinformation machine my friend. Even the CDC director said that at Covid deaths were overcounted mainly because of the perverse financial incentives involved:

By the way, I know a lady who was denied an accidental death insurance claim when her husband's death was officially declared "covid" because he had a positive PCR test in the previous 30 days before his fatal car crash but he was completely healthy at the time of the accident. He died instantly at the scene. Do you want to tell her that this was a "head fake" and that her husband actually died from Covid and not the car crash?
Yeah we are not going to agree on this. Overall, I can acknowledge some variance place to place on coutning covid deaths, but overall I think we have undercounted covid deaths in the pandemic, particularly at the start of the pandemic, and it was more undercounted in particular countries:

Not related to Covid, but cool chart looking at childhood mortality over time.

F_ECua9XMAAS3Bl

Show the one that adds in abortions...
Obviously no historical data for that, although should be noted that abortion has been occurred throughout the ages in basically all societies:

Back to the chart, I do think it is pretty amazing the decrease in childhood mortality in modern times. 50% of kids didn't make it to 15 for all of history until basically the start of the last century. We have an overgrown family cemetery out in the country mostly from the late 1800s and early 1900s and always amazed at the number of gravesites with lifespans less than 1 year old or a mother buried next to twins all with the same date of death.

HFrog1999

Obviously no historical data for that, although should be noted that abortion has been occurred throughout the ages in basically all societies:

Back to the chart, I do think it is pretty amazing the decrease in childhood mortality in modern times. 50% of kids didn't make it to 15 for all of history until basically the start of the last century. We have an overgrown family cemetery out in the country mostly from the late 1800s and early 1900s and always amazed at the number of gravesites with lifespans less than 1 year old or a mother buried next to twins all with the same date of death.

Yeah, well my granddaughter will be lowering the average in a couple of weeks

My gg-grandfather is buried in a small old cemetery near Whitney

While visiting I noticed a family with several graves of children under a year old, one after another. I wondered how they could handle that.

I guess we’ll find out

Things often don’t change as much as we think they do

tcudoc

To be fair, abortion rates have been falling pretty consistently since the early 1980's, so even when factoring those in to the equation child mortality would still be making some incredible progress.
The original graph goes back over 2000 years. You’re discussing four decades, which is a minor blip on the overall graph.
Of course childhood mortality and overall mortality has made incredible progress. Advances in surgery, the discovery of antibiotics, etc has had an incredible impact.

HFrog1999

Yeah we are not going to agree on this. Overall, I can acknowledge some variance place to place on coutning covid deaths, but overall I think we have undercounted covid deaths in the pandemic, particularly at the start of the pandemic, and it was more undercounted in particular countries:

The government, media, and public health bureaucrats grossly exaggerated the fatality rate of Covid so that could enact their tyrannical policies

The government, media, and public health bureaucrats grossly exaggerated the fatality rate of Covid so that could enact their tyrannical policies

This sounds like the article about Fauci being associated with a questionable study from the 1980’s that indicated AIDS was easily transmitted via heterosexual sex. Of course it was not and it never spread widely into the heterosexual community. The study was never retracted or repudiated. Evidence showed that Fauci wanted to scare the average American so he could get more $$$’s for AIDS research.

tcudoc

This sounds like the article about Fauci being associated with a questionable study from the 1980’s that indicated AIDS was easily transmitted via heterosexual sex. Of course it was not and it never spread widely into the heterosexual community. The study was never retracted or repudiated. Evidence showed that Fauci wanted to scare the average American so he could get more $$$’s for AIDS research.
I believe he implied it could be spread by casual non sexual contact.

A few quick thoughts. First IFR is a very difficult measure to make since it is tough to come up with the denominator. There are lots of estimates out there and that article is on the low end. Second if a very large number (the entire population) is multiplied by a small percentage, you still end up a large number. And we saw this with mortality numbers for Covid in the pandemic where at about every age it was top 2-5 in cause of death. And that was with all the efforts to limit spread and improve immunity with the vaccine. The morbidity and mortality of a do nothing approach would be much greater.

I think one can make a solid argument that we should have had a less aggressive public health approach and for a shorter period. I don’t think there is a good argument that its morbidity was greatly exaggerated. This was a pandemic that needed some sort of public health strategy in its maiden voyage through the population.

Wexahu

A few quick thoughts. First IFR is a very difficult measure to make since it is tough to come up with the denominator. There are lots of estimates out there and that article is on the low end. Second if a very large number (the entire population) is multiplied by a small percentage, you still end up a large number. And we saw this with mortality numbers for Covid in the pandemic where at about every age it was top 2-5 in cause of death. And that was with all the efforts to limit spread and improve immunity with the vaccine. The morbidity and mortality of a do nothing approach would be much greater.

I think one can make a solid argument that we should have had a less aggressive public health approach and for a shorter period. I don’t think there is a good argument that its morbidity was greatly exaggerated. This was a pandemic that needed some sort of public health strategy in its maiden voyage through the population.
There very easily could have been a behind the scenes strategy without creating a giant, almost unprecedented freak out and disrupting daily lives.

Like I said before, it felt more like a social experiment than a true health crisis.